For/While Field

Martin Muzatko

Hi there!

After a friend showed me the awesomeness of processwire, I'm trying to attempt my own templates now and look how I'll do.

When doing that, I missed a very important feature that I couldn't really find, but I have seen it in so many pages that were made with processwire.

A for or while field which can have multiple repeatable sub-fields.

Pretty like FieldTabOpen, just that I can add dupilcates of the fields within that field.

Example: http://depts.washington.edu/hub141/#other

6PPU4T8.png

A more simple example that SHOULD be possible to be done via fields/templates alone without extra modules.

Tuz4Zca.png

It is possible to do that without modules, right?

Please let me know..
It would be really awesome to finally have a CMS that will solve this flexibility problems.

Cheers,

Martin

There are multiple ways of doing what you seem to describe. Check out the fieldtypes repeater, multiplier, page, and pagetable, for example. Some of these are ProFields that you can license for little money. Which one is best suited depends on the kind of data you want to store.

just that I can add dupilcates of the fields within that field.

You can’t add the same field to a template multiple times. You either have to use one of the repeating fieldtypes that work similarly to image/file, so you can have multiple values per page, or create more fields. For example, it might make sense to have a field for a phone number and another for a fax or mobile number, instead of one repeating field where it might be difficult to tell which is which after the fact.

• Like 1

processwire is a bit clunky, but compared to wordpress or TYPO3, I think I just have found CMS-heaven *_*

Hi Misan

I'm genuinley interested in hearing why you feel processWire is "a bit clunky" and which version you are using.

I felt the same initially but using 2.5 is important because it replaces TinyMCE with CK Editor. That makes the whole experience less clunky.

Also, check out the RenoBird theme which is real nice UI redesign by RenoBird (Tom Reno).

Try those and let me know how you feel about the experience?

Check out the fieldtypes repeater, multiplier, page, and pagetable, for example. Some of these are ProFields that you can license for little money. Which one is best suited depends on the kind of data you want to store.

There's also the chance that you could simply create these as child pages of a page. At the beginning it may sound strange to do it that way, but It's actually the cleanest way and makes everything very clear to you and to the client. Plus, if you set the template of these pages to admit only one parent, you will automatically have a quick button in the admin to create these pages. 

post-88-0-82855000-1415805197_thumb.png

• Like 4

Hi Misan

I'm genuinley interested in hearing why you feel processWire is "a bit clunky" and which version you are using.

I felt the same initially but using 2.5 is important because it replaces TinyMCE with CK Editor. That makes the whole experience less clunky.

Also, check out the RenoBird theme which is real nice UI redesign by RenoBird (Tom Reno).

Thanks for the hint!

The Reno theme makes it easier for me to navigate the backend. Even though I miss the icons in the sidebar, which only appear when selected.

Hi Misan

What else slows down the experience is, that I got no bulk-options.

Like deleting more than one template at once. But I guess thats because pw checks if it is still in use.

Another thing I would like to have is bulk-create pages. If you got a medium sized project, and most of the pages are identic, it takes a while to create 15~20 pages. Creating an outline - finetune the details later, would be really nice to have!

Regarding the templatelister:

It took me a while today to find out why I weren't able to delete that basic-page.

Turns out that you have to clear the trash bin. (duh) While I get no results for the Find section in the admin panel when I searched for pages using the basic-page template.

All in all, pw is still one of my biggest dreams to come true: easy for clients to change, easy and fast for me to setup and most importantly: flexible!

Thanks for all your support guys.

Edited by Misan

Like deleting more than one template at once. But I guess thats because pw checks if it is still in use.

Another thing I would like to have is bulk-create pages. If you got a medium sized project, and most of the pages are identic, it takes a while to create 15~20 pages. Creating an outline - finetune the details later, would be really nice to have!

It depends on the exact needs but most of the time i use like this:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/batch-child-editor/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-batcher/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-page-field-select-creator/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/import-pages-csv/

Not seldom i use them all in a project. They really go quite far as 'bulk' actions are concerned. I quite like the fact that it's not all bundled into the core features.

• Like 2

Regarding the templatelister:

It took me a while today to find out why I weren't able to delete that basic-page.

Turns out that you have to clear the trash bin. (duh) While I get no results for the Find section in the admin panel when I searched for pages using the basic-page template.

All in all, pw is still one of my biggest dreams to come true: easy for clients to change, easy and fast for me to setup and most importantly: flexible!

Thanks for all your support guys.

There's a wish list / feature request on the forums. You should add your requests there to make sure they aren't lost in the threads of...t   i  m     e   .....