justb3a

Simple Contact Form

238 posts in this topic

I have a small request: form data should be stored regardless whether a mail has been sent or not. Just in case, someone forgets to install sendmail on their DigitalOcean server :D (or, on a more serious note, a component in the notification chain is failing)

Who would forget this ??  :P  ^_^

v0.2.1 - Regardless whether a mail has been sent or not, if saveMessages is enabled, the data will be stored. Besides a corresponding log entry will be saved.

2 people like this

Great module, thanks for sharing. I was interesting in adding the new Google Recaptcha in addition to the honeypot. Has anyone had any luck doing so and if so any suggestions on the best approach to add it?

Thanks

Hi all,

the module version 0.2.1 claims compatibility with PW 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 -  but not 3.0.

I tried to use it in PW 3.0.10 devns, and it works like expected as long as I leave the setting saveMessages unticked.

Checking this option throws the following message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function find() on a non-object in  ...../site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/SimpleContactForm/SimpleContactForm.module on line 747

Line 747 of that file is

$spamMailsMsgs = $receivedMessages->find('scf_spamMail!=');

Most likely it's some other problem and not the PW version causing this error.

But for compatibility, would it help to replace the  <?php  by  <?php namespace ProcessWire; in all the php files of the module, or is there more to do to get it compatible?

But for compatibility, would it help to replace the  <?php  by  <?php namespace ProcessWire; in all the php files of the module, or is there more to do to get it compatible?

Replacing the php tag with the one containing the namespace isn't the solution. Modules without namespace declarations should also function in PW3.x. At the moment I'm working on a new version supporting PW3.x. I guess I'll finish that this week (the next release will provide further improvements as well).  :)

1 person likes this

If you want to use this module with PW3.x (and only PW3.x), please pull branch feature/devns. It needs a bit more testing before I'll release it. 

• first backup your installation
  • after upgrading the module, go to module settings, have a look at the settings – you may have to adapt something

Whats new:

• messages will be saved as pages instead of repeater items
  • you have to define a parent page, all messages created will live under this parent
  • the page name starts with the current timestamp, you could add additional fields which should be appended
  • field selection: you can existing fields or fill in field names, after the module are saved, for each name a field will be created
  • manage settings like field type, required, additional error checks for each field
  • after the module settings are saved, all existing repeater items will be converted to pages
  • no more template creation, ProcessWire API renders the form (you can adapt the markup)
  • you may have to translate error and success messages

Have a look at the latest readme to get more information. I would love to get some feedback  ;)

5 people like this

Hi, and thank you for this module!

I've been trying get the feature/devns branch to work with PW 3.0.14 but ran into a problem.

I try to render the form as below:

82         <?php echo $modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render(); ?>

and the form shows up but with the following message:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /site/templates/_main.php on line 82

If I fill in the form and press send I get a "Your contact request has been send successfully!" message, and when I check the Simplecontactform-log it has a success entry. It seems like it's working so why do I get the error message on line 82? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Piqsel, thanks for the feedback.

I just installed a fresh PW 3.0.14 installation, downloaded SimpleContactForm branch feature/devns, filled in module settings. Then I added 

echo $modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render(); to home.php.
But I can't reproduce the message you received. Everything works as expected. Do you include the module call inside _main.php? Because the error notice refers to line 82 of /site/templates/_main.php and not to /site/modules/SimpleContactForm/xxx. Furthermore the module call doesn't include a property request. Apart from this you said the module seems to work, so maybe this error notice isn't related? Could you please try to restrict the issue by debugging the parts one after the other? [var_dump($modules); var_dump($modules->get('SimpleContactForm'));] You have to find out which part produces the error message.

Hi @justb3a,

thanks for the module. I am currently trying to use SimpleContactForm (PW 2.7.2 // SCF 0.2.1) with two templates on one page (for contacting the owner and for signing up to the newsletter (e-mail and printed)). I was trying to use: 

$options = array (
  'submitName' => 'newname'

but this caused the whole page to throw an error. Would be great if you would have a hint for me to get submitName to work.

Is there a way to prevent the form to load the homepage when an error occurs. When using ajax I would like the form to set some classes on the erroneous fields – did I miss something?

Thanks for your feedback,

Depone

Hi,

here is a working example of one of my latest projects on how to use more than one contact form on a single page (PW 2.x):

$optionsContact = array(
  'submitName' => 'submit-contact',
  'templateName' => 'estate-contact-request'
);

echo $modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render($optionsContact);

$optionsRecommend = array(
'allFields'=> $allFields,
'requiredFields' => $allFields,
'submitName' => 'submit-recommend',
'templateName' => 'estate-recommend',
'emailSubject' => 'xxx',
'emailMessage' => $emailMessage,
'successMessage'=> $successMessage
);

echo $modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render($optionsRecommend);

You can override every option from the module settings,. If you skip an option, the one from module settings will be used. So you don't have to pass any option to the first render call. Then you need to adapt the JavaScript to trigger the related form. If you pass another template you have to create it manually (by copying the generated one and then adapted it to the special needs, make sure to change the submitName).

If an error occurs, please let me know, what the error message is and when it appears (rendering the form, submitting the form, using ajax...).

Is there a way to prevent the form to load the homepage when an error occurs. When using ajax I would like the form to set some classes on the erroneous fields – did I miss something?

I noticed already that this wasn't the best idea and changed this behaviour in the devns branch (PW 3.0.x compatibility). Unfortunately there is no way to achieve the same in the "old" version working with PW below 3.x.

Hi @justb3a,

thank you very much for your fast reply. The submitName is now working. I forgot to explicitly set a templateName on both instances, because I assumed it would fallback to the default if nothing is declared. If I set templateName and submitName on both it works.

Thanks for the description of the submit-behavior. I am currently highlighting the required fields if the user moves forward without filling them out, what seems as a legit workaround.

With one form I am running into – [FAILURE] Number of fields does not match. – even though the same hidden fields are available as on the other form. The form itself has one more field than the other one, but I set them with the allFields-key. Do you have a hint for me what I might have overlooked?

Thanks,

Depone

Edit 2016-04-14: fixed – error was caused by a field-name mismatch. 

1 person likes this

This modal is ace but super confusing for optional use.

trying to get a second form (not on the same page) with different options and but it doesnt seem to render. e.g.

$options = array(
      'allFields' => 'email',
    );

echo $modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render($options);

for example this simply gives me the same form from the module settings.

doing the above with submitName, and templateName crashes and means in need to make a new template... (but why?) so i made a new template but now im getting my site twice (modal), so i exclude the _init and _main, but then the from doesnt show, should it be added to the new template now??

sorry if im missing something

Hi @benbyf, I had the same situ until I spotted that I had not followed the instructions properly, maybe you did what I did—I copied the file `simple_contact_form.php` to a new template called `simple_membership_form.php` but then forgot to create a new corrosponding template in the PW admin. So I did that. That nearly fixed it but I guessed perhaps the plain template I had created was in some way not like the one that ships so I deleted the template I'd made in the PW Admin and instead used the Admin to make a copy of the template that ships and then changed it's name and told it to use the file `simple_membership_form.php` and it worked AOK.

Good luck! :)

I had to stop using the form for a second form as the second form needed radio options and I couldn't work out how to do that :( I might come back to ask if it turns out I can't do w/o the form :)

I assume you 're using PW 2.7.x and the latest stable version of the module (master branch / ProcessWire module directory).

If the second form contains different fields than the first one, you need to pass a lot more params as only the 'allFields' key.

(at least requiredFields, emailFields, templateName).

As I said before the module for PW3 changed a lot and also got an improved Readme.  

If you still run into trouble, please provide an example which I can reproduce and document  ;)

(Module settings for the first form and the difference to the second one).

1 person likes this

Thanks @justb3a if that kind offer to document was re my possible use case, most appreciated :)

Right now I have sidestepped the requirement but if I find I need it and can't work it out I will reply here in case you have a chance to doc then :)

PS: I am using latest production 2.7 PW and latest 2.7 ver of your module (I can't move to PW 3 as I am using @kongondo's fabulous blog module which I think is not fully ready for PW 3 (sorry if I am out of date on that assumption).

on submit the form sends me to the hompage, anyone happen to know why this might be happening?

Hi benbyf,

Check the error log. You are likely not passing validation and getting spammed out. Check this forum on how to address it. I can't find the post right now, but will link to it when I do.

added the Inputs and system count to the module so that it read to the logs and I got this: 2016-04-22 18:18:20    [FAILURE] Number of fields does not match. Input:7 System:9.

seems that some fields arent being submitted. do I need to specify the spam fields or thing in the submission...?

Do all your fields match up on your form to what the module has generated? Check your template field names against what is in the module settings. Make sure you save the module if you have updated or changed any fields.

Also check the antiSpamCountAdditonalInputs in the module settings and make sure those fields exist in your template.

1 person likes this

thats fixed it. although it does say in the module settings that these get added automatically, which in this case is obviously not true.

Hi @justb3a,

to assist the receiver in answering to the sender, I would like to add a Reply-To-Header to the form. 

To achieve this I have added the following code to SimpleContactForm.module: 

// Set variable for E-Mail-Address to reply to
    foreach ($this->emailFields as $emailField) {
      $replyToEmail = $this->sanitizer->email($this->input->post->{$emailField});
    }
// Add Reply-To header
      $wireMail->header('Reply-To', $replyToEmail);

Would this be a feature you’d like to add to the Module? 

If yes I could fork the Repo on Github and create a Pull Request …

hi @depone,

I assume you're referring to the latest master version which is only compatible with PW 2.x. I don't want to add any features to this version anymore. Sorry for that. But I decided to add this feature to the feature/devns branch which supports PW 3.x. There is a new module setting where you're able to set a reply-to email address. If you want to use a value from the entries of the form, you have to pass this as an option to the render function:

$options = array('emailReplyTo' => $input->scf_email);
echo $modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render($options);
1 person likes this

Hi all,

the module version 0.2.1 claims compatibility with PW 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 -  but not 3.0.

I tried to use it in PW 3.0.10 devns, and it works like expected as long as I leave the setting saveMessages unticked.

Checking this option throws the following message:

Line 747 of that file is

$spamMailsMsgs = $receivedMessages->find('scf_spamMail!=');

Same issue in ProcessWire 2.7.2 for me. Uhm?

--- Edit:

Fixed it: https://github.com/justonestep/processwire-simplecontactform/pull/4

Edited by Tramvai