Simple Contact Form

justb3a

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

#1 Ok, I'll do that.

#2 'action' => './#anchor' does work indeed, I should have thought of this.

BTW, I've just noticed a typo in the success message: "Your contact request has been send successfully!" => sent

Thanks for the great module! Maybe it should be renamed to Highly Customizable Contact Form ;):)

36 minutes ago, justb3a said:

$emailMessage = file_get_contens('path/to/message.php'); // or include partial etc.
$modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render($array('emailMessage' => $emailMessage));

I tried this, but I must be missing something here as the content of message.php is not interpreted by PHP but it is sent as a string literal, so I cannot get it to work :( What am I doing wrong?

Using twig the following does work:

{% set emailMessage %}{% include 'mails/recommend.twig' %}{% endset %}
{% set options = {
  'action': './#recommend',
  'emailMessage': emailMessage
} %}
{{modules.get('SimpleContactForm').render(options)}}
{# recommend.twig #}
{{ estate.title }}
{{ page.httpUrl }}
{% if input.scf_salutation == 1 %}xx{% elseif input.scf_salutation == 2 %}xx{% else %}xx{% endif %}

I thought using php should work the same.

I do not use twig, just plain php. In my message.php file if I have this for example:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;
echo "You have received a new contact form message";

That is what is sent, not just:
You have received a new contact form message

Actually this is what I expect, since file_get_contents simply reads the file, so I have the string, that's okay, but how is it going to be interpreted?

Edited by szabesz
typo

1)

$emailMessage = $page->title . ' test';
$content .= $modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render(array('emailMessage' => $emailMessage));

2)

include('./mess.php');
$content .= $modules->get('SimpleContactForm')->render(array('emailMessage' => $emailMessage));

// mess.php

$emailMessage = $page->title . ' test2 ' . $input->post->fieldname;

or 3)

ob_start();
include('./mess.php');
$emailMessage = ob_get_clean();

// mess.php
echo $page->title . ' test3 ' . $input->post->headline;

I tested 1), 2) and 3).  They work all. :)

If you want to use file_get_contents, you need to pass an URL returning the content. Otherwise the code won't be interpreted.

Stackoverflow:

I suppose you want to get the content generated by PHP, if so use:

$Vdata = file_get_contents('http://YOUR_HOST/YOUR/FILE.php');

Otherwise if you want to get the source code of the PHP file, it's the same as a .txt file:

$Vdata = file_get_contents('path/to/YOUR/FILE.php');

• Like 1

1 hour ago, szabesz said:

BTW, I've just noticed a typo in the success message: "Your contact request has been send successfully!" => sent

I fixed the typo, thanks for the hint.

The translation string has been changed, some may need to translate it again!

1 hour ago, szabesz said:

Thanks for the great module! Maybe it should be renamed to Highly Customizable Contact Form ;):)

It started pretty simple (for private use only). Then I did the "mistake" to put it on Github :lol:. But if you don't need something special, I think/hope it's still pretty easy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, justb3a said:

I tested 1), 2) and 3).  They work all. :)

Yes they do, however 3) with output buffering resulted in:

scf_enquirytype: 1
scf_name: Szabesz
Date: 2017-05-14 09:18:47

and I did not get my message. However, simple include works for me as expected. Here it is for reference if anyone is interested in getting the title of a selected Select Options Fieldtype:

// as per https://processwire.com/api/modules/select-options-fieldtype/#manipulating-options-on-a-page-from-the-api
// scf_enquirytype is a Select Options Fieldtype
$field = $fields->get('scf_enquirytype');
$all_options = $field->type->getOptions($field);

// $enquirytype stores the ID of the option selected
$enquirytype = $input->post->scf_enquirytype * 1;

$emailMessage = $enquirytype . "\n\n";
// WireArray is 0 indexed, while Select Options Fieldtype starts at 1, we account for this:
$emailMessage .= $all_options->eq($enquirytype - 1)->title . "\n";

BTW, thanks for the file_get_contents explanation, I've never used it instead on include, today I've learnt a few things again :)

• Like 1

I installed this module but it stays dead by all means.

First I installed it via the Modules interface in Processwire. Only two fields 'scf_name' and 'scf_email_adress' showed up in my Fields list. On the form also 'scf_website' appeared. Filling out a form gave an error message, probably because there was no message content. That went away when I entered a default text in the module interface. But no way to add the supposed fields. So I deleted the module via Processwire and removed the folder from my server.

Then I grabbed the zip file from Github and uploaded it to my server. This time no fields were created at all. I added an existing one in the module interface. It shows up alright, but no others except the dreaded 'scf_website' shows up – although it doesn't show up in my Fields list.

I'm using Processwire 3.0.62. Contact form is here amvk.be/contact/

@BFD Calendar Could you please explain what you did exactly? It doesn't matter whether the module is installed via ProcessWire Module Interface or via Github (unless you checkout develop branch). As the documentation says, the scf_website field is used as honey pot check to prevent spam. In module settings you could add any existing field or create new ones by entering the names (comma-separated). Per default no fields are added, because I do not know which fields you need ;) Furthermore: please have a look at the log file. If the form cannot be submitted, the reason will be found there.

• Like 1

@justb3a Ok, this makes things easier, guess I read some old documentation. I suppose you sent a form from city: whereever, that arrived.

But anyway, the scf_website field is still there.... and the other ones I added show up, but now the contact form doesn't pass the test. [FAILURE] Number of fields does not match.

And then I still haven't figured out how to format the fields on the form....

1 minute ago, BFD Calendar said:

But anyway, the scf_website field is still there....

The scf_website field must be there! Again: this field is used for spam protection. Please read the belonging documentation as described above, all necessary informations are there:

Spam Protection: Hide honeypot field using CSS

Spam bots fill in automatically all form fields. By adding an invisible field you're able to trick the bots. The key to the honeypot technique is that the form only can be sent when the honeypot field remains empty otherwise it will be treated as spam.

The honeypot technique doesn't interfere with the user experience. It demands nothing extra of them like a captcha does. In fact, user won't even notice you're using it.

All that's required is a visually hidden form field. This form adds such a field named scf-website by default but you have to make sure to add a display: none; CSS rule on it.

If the fields does not match, you could have a look at your database. Table modules where class equals SimpleContactForm. Column data contains json, I guess the allFields value doesn't match anymore. Otherwise just reinstall the module and start with clean settings.

To format the fields, you can pass options to adapt HTML structure as well as class names. Unfortunately not everything can be achieved using this. For really special needs you have to hook into the field render function. To get an overview of what's possible, have a look at the documentation: How to overwrite classes and markup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justb3a said:

To format the fields, you can pass options to adapt HTML structure as well as class names. Unfortunately not everything can be achieved using this. For really special needs you have to hook into the field render function.

In my case I used UIkit 3 with LESS, so I could just style easily like this:

#contact-form input:extend(.uk-input) {}
#contact-form .field--error--message:extend(.uk-alert-danger) {}
#contact-form #wrap_Inputfield_submit:extend(.uk-width-1-1\@s) {}

#contact-form .FieldtypeTextarea:extend(.uk-textarea) {}
#contact-form #wrap_Inputfield_scf_message:extend(.uk-width-1-1\@s) {}

more info on Extend

I uninstalled and deleted the module from the server, then reinstalled from the Modules interface and added fields etc. The contact.php template contains

$scf = $modules->get('SimpleContactForm');

$options = array(
	'emailAdd' => true,
	'emailAddMessage' => $input->scf_message,
	'emailAddMessage' => $input->scf_name,
	'emailAddMessage' => $input->scf_hometown,
	'emailAddReplyTo' => $input->scf_emailaddress,
	'emailAddTo' => $input->scf_email,
	'markup' => array(
    'list' => "<div {attrs}>{out}</div>",
    'item' => "<p {attrs}>{out}</p>"
    ),
	'classes' => array(
    'form' => 'form amvk_contact',
    'list' => 'list-item'
	)
	);

echo $scf->render($options);

Now the form sends me two messages. The first one has the correct sender and subject (from the module interface) and correct reply address from the scf_emailaddress field in the form. The only content in the message is the scf_hometown information. The second message is all blank.

I do understand the honeypot technique. I just wonder why the field isn't invisible by default. "make sure to add a display: none; CSS rule on it" is probably simple when you know where to add that rule. I'm afraid I don't....

43 minutes ago, BFD Calendar said:

$options = array(
	'emailAdd' => true,
	'emailAddMessage' => $input->scf_message,
	'emailAddMessage' => $input->scf_name,
	'emailAddMessage' => $input->scf_hometown,
	'emailAddReplyTo' => $input->scf_emailaddress,
	'emailAddTo' => $input->scf_email,
	'markup' => array(
    'list' => "<div {attrs}>{out}</div>",
    'item' => "<p {attrs}>{out}</p>"
    ),
	'classes' => array(
    'form' => 'form amvk_contact',
    'list' => 'list-item'
	)
	);

This is not how arrays work. Each key can ony exist once. EmailAddMessage is overwritten three times.

I do understand the honeypot technique. I just wonder why the field isn't invisible by default. "make sure to add a display: none; CSS rule on it" is probably simple when you know where to add that rule. I'm afraid I don't....

The field isn't visible by default, because I don't want to add inline styles. Just trigger the field in your .css file and add display:none; there.

@justb3a Speaking of invisible fields, validator.w3.org/nu reports:

Error: The for attribute of the label element must refer to a non-hidden form control.
date'>↩↩ <label class='form__item--label' for='scf-date'>Date</

But I need to hide this field too. What is your recommended solution?

2 minutes ago, szabesz said:

@justb3a Speaking of invisible fields, validator.w3.org/nu reports:

Error: The for attribute of the label element must refer to a non-hidden form control.
date'>↩↩ <label class='form__item--label' for='scf-date'>Date</

But I need to hide this field too. What is your recommended solution?

Couple of questions...

Why use a label for a hidden field?

Is the date field to track when the user submits the form? If so, it is not necessary. You can set the date when you process the form.

7 minutes ago, rick said:

But it won't affect the functionality, only the w3 validation.

Sure, the module works fine, and it supports spam protection based on the time the client uses to fill it in and to submit it, which is quite useful I think. It is just this label that should be somehow eliminated if possible. Since it is a ProcessWire form API field, I do not know how to achieve it.

• 1 month later...