Current/former Textpattern users: What do you think? (TXP5 using PW)

MarcC

I would version control your /site/templates/ and /site/modules/, but not your /site/assets/ as they are tied to DB entries. Though if you combine it with a DB export for each commit, then that would solve it. But this is something we'll have built-in version control for, further down the road.

Doh! Don't know why this didn't occur to me before but it should be possible to use a hook in the git repository backing up a site that does an automatic db backup on each commit.

• 9 months later...

happy new year. We are now 2013... Any major update regarding the PW/TxP integration or "sharing" resources. Is there some active cooperation underway?

I use both TxP and EE and am now looking to use a robust replacement for EE.

One issue i have with TxP is the inabilty to have access to Templates/Forms and Pages as text files outside the DB.

If I understand PW correctly, with PW I can have such access to the flat files?

I would like to see this feature in TxP5, and hope that it is under consideration by the developers.

Hi vanni & welcome to the PW forum.

One issue i have with TxP is the inabilty to have access to Templates/Forms and Pages as text files outside the DB.

Yes, that's correct, in PW the equivalent of TxP forms & pages are file based so you get to edit them with the editor of your choice and/or version control them all. There are differences in terminology between PW and TxP too and "template" is one of them. Attached is an image that might help explain some of the PW terminology (with props to SiNNuT for the starter idea.)

52.png

If I remember correctly, there is also a module for PW that allows you to edit your template files via the admin interface but I haven't used this myself and I may have that wrong.

Another major difference between TxP and PW is that PW uses PHP as the template file language whilst TxP has its own tag system that it has to parse.

Hope that whets your appetite a little and that you enjoy trying out PW.

Hi vanni,

Welcome to the PW forum. I hope you've had a chance to give ProcessWire a test drive. I think you'll find it a more than suitable replacement/upgrade.

You can achieve what you are after with TXP by using a plugin called cnk_versioning. The name is a bit of a misnoer, as it doesn't have anything to do with version control, but rather moves your pages,forms,css into the filesystem.

That said, I sure hope you stick around and give PW a shot. :)

• Like 1

Hi All. This week I'll be giving PW a go under my localhost MAMP and see if i can give it a good test drive.

(Note that EE now comes free as a Core product, but going forth I would rather try using PW on any sites that I may develop as these tend to be for non-profits and i also don't want to be tied EE even though i think their templates is an outstanding feature. )

I love using TxP and will look forward to using PW. And I hope that this discussion of tying in the two might bear fruit for TxP5 esp in the editing outside the DB.

I was aware cnk_versioning But I thought it came with a warning that it could amuck-up the DB, which kinda scared me off. I guess i can give it another look with a non- live site under MAMP.

thanks.

Hi vanni & welcome to the PW forum.

If I remember correctly, there is also a module for PW that allows you to edit your template files via the admin interface but I haven't used this myself and I may have that wrong.

Another major difference between TxP and PW is that PW uses PHP as the template file language whilst TxP has its own tag system that it has to parse.

Hope that whets your appetite a little and that you enjoy trying out PW.

Thanks for this, as it gives me an overview.And the diagram illustrates the relations very well. But what does one do if we are not PHP ninjas? are theres sets of examples available?

i suppose by installing the default site it will provide some clues on how to proceed.

Hello again vanni,

I think many of the TxP folks who have migrated over to PW have been in the same position. Take Tom Reno (renobird) for example; he's become very capable with PHP thanks to having to learn PW templates in a short period of time. There are good resources to help with this; template documentation on the main site, clear code examples on the forum (just browse for a while or google for them), an amazing blog profile for PW with lots of templates to use, an IRC channel and tools like Soma's cool API cheat sheet.

Whilst TxP's parsed template tags are easy to use if you are used to writing X/HTML documents, you often have to spend time digging into the tag or plugin documentation to find out which attribute does what. With PHP you will have to learn some new things too, but once you know them you will have additional flexibility for your template handlers that isn't available without custom coding stuff in TxP and you will have a transferable skill which you won't have if you are putting time into learning TxPs unique tags. In addition, using PHP as the template language means the templates don't need to go through an additional parser.

• Like 5