Joomla! is the best!

Soma

I have to say Joomla is making really good effort not to loose its position in the big 3. They rebranded, moved to github, started to redesign code to be more modular. Maybe they deserve it this year.

And yes, this the known flaw of democracy, as crazy commies from the place where I live not so long ago, and Plato a little earlier warned us about :).

• Like 4

Let's not jump the gun and start saying they don't deserve it. They fought hard for it and won. Fair is fair when it comes to voting like this. That's why I did the Critics' Choice part of the awards well. To ensure that there are two opportunities (one where voting numbers doesn't count) for projects to get their deserved recognition.

• Like 3

@Soma

Slightly off topic but is your Avatar taken from the original Unreal game for the Mac?

I'm not sure what Unreal game you're refering to, but my avatar is a hand(mouse) drawn pic I did 15+ years ago on a mac. :D

Let's not jump the gun and start saying they don't deserve it. They fought hard for it and won. Fair is fair when it comes to voting like this. That's why I did the Critics' Choice part of the awards well. To ensure that there are two opportunities (one where voting numbers doesn't count) for projects to get their deserved recognition.

I don't want to step on anyones foot (maybe), so ignore my ignorance and take it as a kidding post. I lost interest in cmscritic since I get overhelmed by the content flooded by banners. 

Edit forgot the :D

I don't want to step on anyones foot (maybe), so ignore my ignorance and take it as a kidding post. I lost interest in cmscritic since I get overhelmed by the content flooded by banners. 

Edit forgot the :D

Do you have any constructive criticism on how we can improve this then rather than just telling me you lost interest in our site? We work hard to push products such as PW so I find that a bit insulting to be honest. I do have to pay the bills you realize so if there's a way we can improve it, do tell. I'm open to suggestions.

• Like 5

Do you have any constructive criticism on how we can improve this then rather than just telling me you lost interest in our site? We work hard to push products such as PW so I find that a bit insulting to be honest. I do have to pay the bills you realize so if there's a way we can improve it, do tell. I'm open to suggestions.

Just saying honest what I think, if you feel this insulting then yes ok. I'm not speaking here as a representant of PW. This is my personal thinking. I'm sure you have reasons to do it all the way it is. I know how it works and what is takes to build such a website and make a living. The downsides of it you need to flood it with banners and ads and that get a little annoying. Either have a sponsor and 1-2 logos or have 10+ banners, that's how it is. 

Sorry, I'm not the only one ignoring websites that have lots of banners popups etc in general. It's just I don't feel at home. It's I get lost to where I want to go and where I am. Too much noise. Then it's maybe also the "hard" serif font, colors etc making it worse. It just don't makes me wanna click somewhere :D

It's really not against you or cmscritics as per se. I just don't feel at home there.  You can't make everyone happy.

I know and really like that you're trying to push others like PW, and that's great! I judge books by cover.

Edit: btw I thought my feedback was clear in that why: "I lost interest in cmscritic since I get overhelmed by the content flooded by banners. "

Thank you for clarifying but there's that age old adage, if  you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Perhaps simply not saying anything at all might have been more polite than saying you lost interest in someones work is my point. It had nothing to do with the conversation and therefore, was unnecessary.

• Like 2

That proverb we don't know. It's the opposite here. I say nothing if I'm happy, and it's urgent and important to say something that you don't like. Anyway sorry that I said something.

• Like 2

Silence is golden! Let's close the forums! :)

I guess that we have all the human rights here to spit a little acid about all the other CMSs and the sites that let them win over us! Even if they are those that let us win over them in the past. Arghh? I am just kidding and want to make it explicit.

CmsCritic is "cool" as it brought me to Processwire. And it is half full of banners. I sometimes use this site to demonstrate my clients what are sidebar banners and how they could look (and that is no kidding). So CmsCritic is "cool" anyway: as a way to opensource world and as a online banner ad demo :).

I think that we really should be more tolerant to untolerance because that is the greatest tolerance there is and the way to freedom of thought :).

Let's keep this as ironic as it gets and spill no blood here.

• Like 2

Not so fast! :P

Soma does this sometimes, and I've already seen a good amount of people thanking him for it. One could argue that it sounds rude —for an Atlantic person like me, so distant from the central Europe, it certainly does—, but the fact is that it's never only a personal opinion, as it always reflects the thoughts of more people. I know this is not a forum about CMS Critic, but since CMS Critic is so related to PW in some aspects, it makes all the sense to comment.

Mike, you made your choices, and I'm sure you balanced very well all the aspects of your website. I have to say that I inevitably share Soma's concerns, It's not that I lost interest, as I still check the website from time to time, but it does feel a bit overwhelming, with lots of things happening at the same time and divided into so many sections. Also I noticed that there is lots of repetition in your tweets, and because I tend to not ignore your posts, yes, It can get a bit annoying. This doesn't erase all the merits, but does fade them a bit away.

See? Soma can be much more straightforward them me, and we still haven't seen Joss's answer that will certainly come, he must be writing it for half hour already ;)

• Like 6

Not so fast! :P

Soma does this sometimes, and I've already seen a good amount of people thanking him for it. One could argue that it sounds rude —for an Atlantic person like me, so distant from the central Europe, it certainly does—, but the fact is that it's never only a personal opinion, as it always reflects the thoughts of more people. I know this is not a forum about CMS Critic, but since CMS Critic is so related to PW in some aspects, it makes all the sense to comment.

Mike, you made your choices, and I'm sure you balanced very well all the aspects of your website. I have to say that I inevitably share Soma's concerns, It's not that I lost interest, as I still check the website from time to time, but it does feel a bit overwhelming, with lots of things happening at the same time and divided into so many sections. Also I noticed that there is lots of repetition in your tweets, and because I tend to not ignore your posts, yes, It can get a bit annoying. This doesn't erase all the merits, but does fade them a bit away.

See? Soma can be much more straightforward them me, and we still haven't seen Joss's answer that will certainly come, he must be writing it for half hour already ;)

Ok good to know. How can I improve it? What would you like to see? Less ads? which ones specifically are distracting? Should the in-post ad be removed? What can I work on with twitter? Less repeating and more personalized tweets?

I'm good with feedback, it's critical

• Like 1

Not so much feedback on the site structure, but you should now that your banner link to "Website Builders Critic" tries to open in a popup and gets blocked by Chrome.

Also, there is a broken image on that Joomla page:

post-985-0-09939700-1414770417_thumb.png

Mike, definitely the inline ads. They are everywhere now, I know. But I even switched my daily online newspaper because of them...

If I look at the website now, what bothers me more is the dispersion of information. The "Check out our new site, Website Builders Critic!" on the top, plus the magnolia add under it, and then all the right column. Not sure if you would loose to much by dropping some, but I imagine that having less adds will get more clicks for those few individually, no? EDIT: oh, and on the left also, under the menu...

There's also some dispersion of content with the subsites. Not sure how you could solve it, but I find it particularly confusing.

The tweets, ya... I would say less repeated, I having constantly the feeling of repeated info. They don't have to be more personal, I don't think so. How about having a tweet for each event, and some time later a resume tweet? Something more telegraphic with the links to all events... well, I'm in brainstorming mode now.

One more important thing about the adds. I don't know if you have any control about it, but would be nice if they weren't announcing CMSs. It doesn't favour the feeling of impartiality that people should have when visiting the site.

Not so much feedback on the site structure, but you should now that your banner link to "Website Builders Critic" tries to open in a popup and gets blocked by Chrome.

Also, there is a broken image on that Joomla page:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-31 at 8.46.32 AM.png

Fixed, thank you.

Mike, definitely the inline ads. They are everywhere now, I know. But I even switched my daily online newspaper because of them...

If I look at the website now, what bothers me more is the dispersion of information. The "Check out our new site, Website Builders Critic!" on the top, plus the magnolia add under it, and then all the right column. Not sure if you would loose to much by dropping some, but I imagine that having less adds will get more clicks for those few individually, no? EDIT: oh, and on the left also, under the menu...

There's also some dispersion of content with the subsites. Not sure how you could solve it, but I find it particularly confusing.

The tweets, ya... I would say less repeated, I having constantly the feeling of repeated info. They don't have to be more personal, I don't think so. How about having a tweet for each event, and some time later a resume tweet? Something more telegraphic with the links to all events... well, I'm in brainstorming mode now.

Hellobar being distracting, I can understand that. I can break up the ads more with content / rotate them perhaps. I'll work on that. I'm not sure I follow you with the subtitles? Can you explain further? No problem on tweets.

It's a tough balance, but I remember vividly once being told that one of my sites looks too much like yahoo and not enough like google - it felt a little insulting at the time, but I think it was valid and a good description. 

I have AdBlockPlus on so I had never seen all the adds before, but when you do, I have to say that I think cmscritic looks a little too yahoo as well :) 

One more important thing about the adds. I don't know if you have any control about it, but would be nice if they weren't announcing CMSs. It doesn't favour the feeling of impartiality that people should have when visiting the site.

You lost me on this one, can you explain?