aren

How to automatically rename image uploads?

How to automatically rename the image files to a random string during the upload process?

For example, I have an image named "big_poster.jpg" and I want it to be saved as something random, for example "2680542675157_cc7m541v_l.jpg"

Hi aren,

I just committed an update to Custom Upload Names for you. It now has an option to generate a random string at a length of your specification.

Please take a look and let me know if you need any assistance.

• Like 9

Ahh, thank you very much for this Adrian!! Exactly what I needed!! I'll download it right away!  :)

4 minutes ago, rst said:

is there a way to apply this module to images that are already saved?

thanks!

There is a "Rename on Save" option in the config settings. If you check that and then write a small API script to loop through all the pages that have images that need updating, it should do the trick.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Robin S
      Add Image URLs
      Allows images/files to be added to Image/File fields by pasting URLs.

Usage
      Install the Add Image URLs module.
      A "Paste URLs" button will be added to all image and file fields. Use the button to show a textarea where URLs may be pasted, one per line. Images/files are added when the page is saved.

https://github.com/Toutouwai/AddImageUrls
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/add-image-urls/
    • By gebeer
      Hello all,
      sharing my new module FieldtypeImageReference. It provides a configurable input field for choosing any type of image from selectable sources. Sources can be: 
      a predefined folder in site/templates/ and/or a  page (and optionally its children) and/or the page being edited and/or any page on the site CAUTION: this module is under development and not quite yet in a production-ready state. So please test it carefully.
      UPDATE: the new version v2.0.0 introduces a breaking change due to renaming the module. If you have an older version already installed, you need to uninstall it and install the latest master version.
      Module and full description can be found on github https://github.com/gebeer/FieldtypeImageReference
      Install from URL: https://github.com/gebeer/FieldtypeImageReference/archive/master.zip
      Read on for features and use cases.
      Features
      Images can be loaded from a folder inside site/templates/ or site/assets Images in that folder can be uploaded and deleted from within the inputfield Images can be loaded from other pages defined in the field settings Images can be organized into categories. Child pages of the main 'image source page' serve as categories mages can be loaded from any page on the site From the API side, images can be manipulated like native ProcessWire images (resizing, cropping etc.), even the images from a folder Image thumbnails are loaded into inputfield by ajax on demand Source images on other pages can be edited from within this field. Markup of SVG images can be rendered inline with `echo $image->svgcontent` Image names are fully searchable through the API $pages->find('fieldname.filename=xyz.png'); $pages->find('fieldname.filename%=xy.png'); Accidental image deletion is prevented. When you want to delete an image from one of the pages that hold your site-wide images, the module searches all pages that use that image. If any page contains a reference to the image you are trying to delete, deletion will be prevented. You will get an error message with links to help you edit those pages and remove references there before you can finally delete the image. This field type can be used with marcrura's Settings Factory module to store images on settings pages, which was not possible with other image field types When to use ?
      If you want to let editors choose an image from a set of images that is being used site-wide. Ideal for images that are being re-used across the site (e.g. icons, but not limited to that).
      Other than the native ProcessWire images field, the images here are not stored per page. Only references to images that live on other pages or inside a folder are stored. This has several advantages:
      one central place to organize images when images change, you only have to update them in one place. All references will be updated, too. (Provided the name of the image that has changed stays the same) Installation and setup instructions can be found on github.
      Here's how the input field looks like in the page editor:

If you like to give it a try, I'm happy to hear your comments or suggestions for improvement. Install from URL: https://github.com/gebeer/FieldtypeImageReference/archive/master.zip
      Eventually this will go in the module directory, too. But it needs some more testing before I submit it. So I'd really appreciate your assistance.
      Thanks to all who contributed their feedback and suggestions which made this module what it is now.

• By rushy
      Hi. I've been using Processwire for a few years now and installed it on a few different shared hosting servers without issues, but I'm now running into an issue on a Fasthosts shared server that I've not seen before. The installation goes ok and I have a working default site profile but I am unable to complete any uploads of images. It just hangs at the progress spinner during the upload. I thought it might be a priviledge issue so have temporarily set the dir / file privs. as 777 / 666 just to test that but it made no difference. I have no errors in the wire log. In server error log I have:
      set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons in ....htdocs/wire/core/ImageSizerEngine.php on line 1035 and i note in the assets/file dir. where the image is being stored the date on the file being created has a year of 1970 and 0 length. If I leave the page this file disappears and nothing has been stored. 
      Does anyone know how I can enable set_time_limit if this is likely to be the problem? 
      Many thanks! Paul