Are you using Digital Ocean? How do you like it? How tough was setting up? I may switch.

OrganizedFellow

• 11 months later...

Don't get me wrong, but there are other topics where DigitalOcean is recommended or mentioned. If you use ServerPilot.io (which I do for two accounts: one production and one test) the set-up is extremely simple and straight forward.   

You could also search my friend if you want hosting recommendations :)

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, but there are other topics where DigitalOcean is recommended or mentioned. If you use ServerPilot.io (which I do for two accounts: one production and one test) the set-up is extremely simple and straight forward.   

You could also search my friend if you want hosting recommendations :)

:) 

I just switched another site to DigitalOcean. This time around, I am trying out ServerPilot.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but: ServerPilot basically installs/installed a full LAMP server, and firewall. Right?

Because traditionally I would have had to do all that manually via SSH. So ServerPilot is like an installer service? I don't quite get it. I am sure it offers TONS more, I see it mentioned often by other devs.

• Like 1

I have a CentOS 7 droplet on Digital Ocean and have absolutely no complaints, I like that they use KVM

I installed ispconfig3 control panel on my droplet and use it to do most of the server management tasks, and I also set up a remote personal git repo on the DO server.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but: ServerPilot basically installs/installed a full LAMP server, and firewall. Right?

Because traditionally I would have had to do all that manually via SSH. So ServerPilot is like an installer service? I don't quite get it. I am sure it offers TONS more, I see it mentioned often by other devs.

It handles all the sysadmin stuff. You want another application/website? Login > Create new user > Create new application > Enter name > Save > Done. No other steps really. Works like a charm and very responsive support too (even in Amsterdam timezone).

• Like 1

It handles all the sysadmin stuff. You want another application/website? Login > Create new user > Create new application > Enter name > Save > Done. No other steps really. Works like a charm and very responsive support too (even in Amsterdam timezone).

So since I soon plan on running multiple subdomains with Option 1 (detailed here https://processwire.com/api/modules/multi-site-support/ ) I probably should use ServerPilot, huh?

Regardless of your setup I would use a managed layer. Whether it's ServerPilot or some other tool. I don't really like spending to much time doing this sysadmin work. They also got a free plan which only allows one user. Keep in mind that it is good practice to separate your installs with different users since they don't share their files and databases.

I really see it as a convenience. With some tutorials you could fairly easy manage it from the command line. Just try it out for 30 minutes.

• Like 2

Here is one list of linux-based web control panels, some free some not.  http://www.tecmint.com/web-control-panels-to-manage-linux-servers/

EDIT:  I just looked over the list and some of the packages are pretty out-of-date.

I read elsewhere that Ajenti leaves some password data exposed in plaintext. They solution to increase security was to chmod the files.

I've been using serverpilot with several droplets (VPS) of digital ocean (DO) for six months and the experience with both and the support they offer is very positive.

My former "managed" VPS provider apparently didn't update my lamp installations in the 2 years that they have "managed" them. Serverpilot installs and updates an "optimized/secured" lamp/nginx stack. If you're a small company and are not handling sensitive data this is a good solution in my opinion.

----------

Some of the other options I've looked at: Turnkey linux and cloudways.

Turnkey linux has a good/friendly team and community and has an auto-update option.

Cloudways hosts on digital ocean, google, amazon. If you're not happy with their services you have to migrate to a new hosting provider. I don't trust the company as they're were not working from Malta (Pakistan) as stated on the website and they keep sending me spam messges.

----------

If you want to make use of the paid plan of serverpilot (simple https setup and stats/logs or premium support) I would recommend to create a different account for each of your DO droplets. That way you're flexible in selecting an upgrade for a single server.

If you're not happy with serverpilot you can keep working with your current installation and don't have to migrate to another environment.

Serverpilot also offers a wordpress install option which makes it very easy if you want to use wordpress. But the installation of processwire is a very simple process ;-)

I use Serverpilot.io and though I could probably spend the time setting up the stack myself, its time I'm saving and hopefully more useful tweaks in the future that they can build in. (It seems a little fine on functionality currently)

• Like 2

My former "managed" VPS provider apparently didn't update my lamp installations in the 2 years that they have "managed" them. 

Actually that's how this should be. Never change a running system, especially if you've no clue about the details of the system. Only exception are critical security updates. 

• Like 2

Actually that's how this should be. Never change a running system, especially if you've no clue about the details of the system. Only exception are critical security updates. 

Which is why Ubuntu LTS is most used for web servers.

I've never met someone who preferred to use Arch and its rolling release system. Too easily breakable.

Arch is wonderful for tinkerers and "hard core" Linux users. I used to run it on my desktop but found it too rapid paced for me. I need my localhost LAMP server NOT to break, lol.