ImageFocusArea

interrobang

• 2 weeks later...

New bug?

If the image field is loaded via Ajax then the click of the focus-link will be redirected to the homepage instead of opening the image in modal frame.

For explaination:

I have an image focus area field inside a fieldset. I have decided to show the content of the fieldset only if i click on the fieldset and the content will be shown afterwards via Ajax. In PW you can choose under the fieldset setting tab when to show the content (open, open only if there is content inside,...).

If I choose to show the content via Ajax the image focus area field doesnt allow to set a focus area. After clicking the link I will be always redirected to the homepage.

If I change the fieldset status to something without Ajax (fe always open) the image focus area field work as expected.

Maybe this could be a bug if other users have the same problem.

Best regards

Sorry, I have not tested this module in any recent version, but I recommend using the dev version in the thumbnails branch, some minor issues might be fixed there: https://github.com/phlppschrr/ImageFocusArea/tree/thumbnails

I have not looked into these new ajax features. Does anybody know of any thread here how to support ajax editing and loading for your own fields?

Please continue to report any issues and improvement ideas here (or even better at github). 

PS: Sorry, for being a bad module maintainer. I still have some plans with this module, but not enough time - too much customer work and a newborn baby at home.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi again.

In case anyone is wondering... this module doesn't currently work with the new image field upgrade in 3.0.17  :-(

As Ryan points out here https://processwire.com/blog/posts/major-images-field-upgrade

Note that other modules that extend the old images field (like those that provide additional crop functions) may not work with the new one. If that turns out to be the case, we'll likely move the old images field to a 3rd party module so that it can continue to be used for these cases.

Many thanks

Nik

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi Interrobang - hope you are well

Have you had any thoughts on how this module might become usable in PW 3.x?

I'm trying to work out a way forward for sites reliant on this module, and it would be useful to know if there is any prospect of future development, so I can make an informed decision.

Kind regards

Nik

Hi Nik,

thanks, I am well :) Honestly I have not used my module myself for a long time, and I still have not looked into what has to be done to migrate this module to PW3 and its new image field. I plan to release a new version eventually, but can't say how long it will take. But seeing somebody still uses it at least motivates me to test it myself in PW3.

Sorry, that I cant give you a more satisfying answer. I will post back here after testing.

On 10/10/2016 at 2:56 PM, NikNak said:

Using the focus of an image would be my preferred method for retaining flexibility, but I guess I'm in a minority.

i'm still voting for a solid and core solution of image cropping. using either an exact crop, or predefined ratios, or using a focus area and make it possible to get the right image for the right spot on your template/design and allowing different ratios!

but i guess we 2 are in a minority... ?

• Like 5

+1

Until the change in PW3 image module it was my prefered solution for image cropping. Just let the user define the important part of the image and do the cropping in the templates. 

One solution for this would be the approach Ryan mentioned https://processwire.com/blog/posts/major-images-field-upgrade

If that turns out to be the case, we'll likely move the old images field to a 3rd party module so that it can continue to be used for these cases.

But i think it would be way nicer, if we had the ImageFocusArea function and all the the new features of the new image field.

• 8 months later...

I am really missing this module in version 3, are we any closer to an update?

I am having to make do with Croppable Image 3, but the crop settings require both width and height values, not allowing either to be flexible.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Without this module, I am now struggling to find a way to get an image cropped to a particular ratio, that retains the full resolution of the original image. ie - have a cropped image that is as good as it can be at a particular ratio. From that master, i would then make variants. 

Using CropableImage3 this is not possible - as all defined crops are pixel based rather than ratio based - and not dependent on the original size image. This therefore restricts the flexibility of generating a subsequent scaling of the image from the best master possible.

Horst's suggestion of uploading a large image to start with and cropping it to the right proportion at high res and then scaling, is impractical in day to day situations for my use, as you can't always impose that kind of restriction on your client's images. 

I had hoped that if I turned upscaling off, then perhaps I would be able to set a very large crop setting, and the cropping would just be made as large as possible. 

Anybody managed to find alternatives to the conundrum this has left, if you want to retain maximum flexibility in the automated scalings of your images. ?

Cheers

Nik