possible: file based instead of sql-database?

vanderbreye

There where already requests to support sqlite as second database option, but even this never really found consideration. Also I don't think files would be in any way as performant as a real database, especially if you're talking about a single file. ProcessWire can manage 100.000s of pages. I don't want to imagine a single file with all those information in it. 

There was a few topics about this kind of options. Not sure there ever was a conversation about flat files, but this is one about SQLite:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/858-sqlite-has-ftt-could-it-be-a-viable-alternative-database-backend-for-pw/

The answer to your question is no, it is not possible now (at least as I know it).

thanks!

but actually, i try to find an alternative for kirby - which fits for very small projects - but i would love to replace it with PW...

You found he best alternative to kirby for larger projects (actually, also for smaller projects), you'll just have to live with the database ;)

• Like 2

Why would small projects need an alternative to ProcessWire and it's requirement for a database? Is there anything specific about the environment you're using (or propose to use) where a database would be an issue?

ProcessWire works as great for small projects as it does for larger ones :)

• Like 1

Interestingly I was thinking about this the other day. A friend has his business page as part of his ISP subscription. He is given very basic tools including being able to point a domain at it, but it has no database.

Mind you, I am not sure it has php either!

I have just done him a sweet little static html page.