MarkupSEO - The all-in-one SEO solution for ProcessWire.

Nico Knoll

Maybe it can steal an idea from Ryans table field - have its own table.

Or, it could also have its own PW page structure, effectively a "related" page to the current page, that is stored under admin somewhere in the same way repeaters are.

Though I think a single table might be more efficient, query wise.

However, just to change my mind again, the other day I put on my own site drop downs for Open Graph page type (article and so on) and the same for twitter. I did those with a page field so I have started with the most common five or six, but can add more on the fly as normal with a page-field. Useful functionality for this kind of thing.

So, maybe a mix! :)

• Like 1

Though I think a single table might be more efficient, query wise.

I'm implementing a custom field type based on Ryan's Event field type that uses a custom table for storage.

I have compared performance to other methods like using a pages field. And the custom table field is much much faster, both when saving and querying values. So I'd recommend going with the custom table field following Ryan's Event field type module.

• Like 1

As @lisandi said. 

An example:

Your page's title is "About".

You use "<h2>$page->title</h2>" in your template but you want to have a different description on Google results like "Learn more about the team." 

Just use the title field to archive that.

What an awesome module, the features in it are perfect. One thing I am noticing though is that the module seems to be a bit finnicky with images that are limited to 1 not on the current page, as the image preview function appears to call first() on the image field regardless to it's existance on the page.

Error: Call to a member function first() on a non-object (line 326 of home/swflemin/public_html/dg/site/modules/MarkupSEO/MarkupSEO.module) 

if($this->imageSmart && $pageDataDefault['image'] == '' && @$this->page->get(implode('|', $this->imageSmart))->first()->url != '') $mixedData['image'] = $this->page->get(implode('|', $this->imageSmart))->first()->url;

Looks to be the culpret. Could I get a hand modding this here?

Great Piece.

I've done something like that with textfields and FieldsetTab. But a Out of the Box Solution is quite nice.

A client had requested once, a SEO traffic light, which checks different basic things like the Title, Image Description, Keyword Density, List of the actual keywords in the existing text etc.

In my opinion you can achieve this as well with a small SEO cheatsheet and a bit brainpower. But on the other hand, it might be helpful for user, with less Web/Seo Knowledge.

Would something like that be possible? Or is something like that already in your mind?

• Like 1

I'm very excited about this module. Thanks galore Nico.  I need all the help I can get w/ SEO. This is a boon.

From my reading, I agree with a prior comment that the automatic rendering should not be at the bottom of <head>, so I set the method to "manual", and tried to use

<?php echo wire('page')->seo->render; ?>

long-hand toward the top of head.  It smoked!

In your ready() function,

$this->method == 'auto'  

should not be a condition for initializing the front-end hooks.

Thanks. 

In my copy, this is what it looks like now. I don't know whether I'm missing something. I haven't created a module w/ hooks like this yet.

public function ready() {
		// backend hooks
		$editedPage = wire('pages')->get($this->config->input->get->id);
		if(@$this->page->process == 'ProcessPageEdit' && !in_array((string)$editedPage->template, $this->excludedTemplates)) {
			$this->addHookAfter("ProcessPageEdit::buildFormContent", $this, 'addSEOTab');
			$this->addHookBefore("ProcessPageEdit::execute", $this, 'saveSEOTab');
		}

// frontend hooks

// if($this->method == 'auto' && $this->page->template != 'admin') {
		if($this->page->template != 'admin') {
			$this->addHookProperty("Page::seo", $this, 'hookFrontendPage');
			$this->addHookProperty("Config::seo", $this, 'hookFrontendConfig');
		}
	}

Actually, why are you even explicitly skipping the 'admin' template if you have a mechanism for excluding templates in place and the 'admin' one is added by default?

Then, maybe, this is it:  It works, not stress-tested...

// frontend hooks

if (!in_array((string)$this->page->template, $this->excludedTemplates))  {
    $this->addHookProperty("Page::seo", $this, 'hookFrontendPage');
    $this->addHookProperty("Config::seo", $this, 'hookFrontendConfig');
}
?

Hi Nico,

great idea, this spares quite some time to set this up individually.

One question about "Keywords". Do you mean the Keywords Meta Tags?

Google says they don't use it any more: 

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/keywords-meta-tag-in-web-search/

Some of our clients had a wrong idea of SEO when spending a lot of time end efforts with littering the SEO keywords meta tag with all sorts of words, instead of using their energy on other SEO more relevant topics, like a carefully chosen title and a good summary. So we stopped offering that field. :-)

This is (in German) what Meta Tags Google uses:

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=de&answer=79812

EDIT:

A given "Focus Keyword" for a page might be a good source for your planned suggestion tool, the WP Plugin SEO YOAST seems to use it that way.

Edited by ceberlin

If you try to get clever and stuff your site with a lot of keywords this can even lead to search enigines penalizing your site score. In general i think it's best to focus on good titles, descriptions and content and don't use keywords.

Keywords still play a role but they need to be related to what you write in the text on the frontpage itself. This is quite important as otherwise you getpenelaized. But it means also that search engines still use the field and there are more search engines than only Google!

I personally won't waste to much time in keywords but from a business point of view "keywords" is itself such a manifested keyword for selling a website as a SEO website! And alone because of that I would leave the field just where it is inside the SEO Tool and the website. Let the customers fill it up like doctors give them some placebos and they will buy your sites ;-) and ideas!

As far as I am aware, Google definitely don't use Meta Keywords, Bing definitely doesn't and it looks like Yahoo don't either.

Keywords are also a lovely way of telling your clients' competitors what words are important to your client. 

I use them all the time - reading them from the competitor's website. :)

• Like 3

Google hasn't used Keywords as a ranking metric since 2009-ish. Here's the offical post from Google.

I think the keywords field should stay. Clients are hard-wired into believing that Keywords matter because they did for so long.

Not having a Keywords field could negatively impact first impressions from some clients.

As someone else mentioned, other Search Engines might have their own policies re. keywords. I'm not an SEO professional.

For anyone wondering where the focus should be, the two most important ranking factors used by Google are:

1. Quality incoming links from relevant sites. Quality is the key here and 3rd party sites themselves must have a good reputation.
  2. Relevant, quality content that is updated and shareable. 

I think in total  there are thought to be around 200 "signals" which Google ultimatelty uses to determine ranking.

Any SEO pros on here to confirm?

Matt Cutts about WordPress and SEO - worth watching!

Listen carefully as you will here "keywords" ....
- don't mix that tool up with seoiq.de (Trittbrett Fahrer)

keywords in meta data are not the same like "on-page keywords"!!! The later is still quite important, even with Google.

200 Faktors
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/226884

Daily Google is changing their algorithms so change your way of doing SEO at the same rate and you will be on the top of the pop perhaps!
Goos SEO means at first place high quality content - and this content in on the visible site of all web pages and pages need to perform very good - speed!
Test your sites in http://gtmetrix.com

• Like 1

As far as I am aware, Google definitely don't use Meta Keywords, Bing definitely doesn't and it looks like Yahoo don't either.

Out of interest, do you have any details on the Bing and Yahoo parts? Google is obvious, but as far as I can tell, Bing and Yahoo still use keywords, though they're not exactly important ranking factors (quite the opposite, really -- they seem to have much less weight than regular body copy).

Also, for anyone targeting the Russian or Chinese markets, it should be noted that Yandex specifically suggests using meta keywords (they're not revealing how important these are as ranking factors though) and according to some sources Baidu considers meta keywords "very important" (though keyword stuffing is a major negative signal there too).

• Like 3