MarkupSEO - The all-in-one SEO solution for ProcessWire.

Nico Knoll

On 4/17/2018 at 7:15 AM, NoremPload said:

i cannot change the length of the seo_title field. I changed the field max length to 100 but it is still 60 at the input field. i tried to remove the counter to check, does not work. Tried to change the title and description of the field, this works. I'm confused.

Check out my fork linked to above - I think this is one of the many things I fixed. If it's still an issue, feel free to submit a PR to my fork.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, this module is great!

Unfortunately I'm having some issues. Yesterday most of the SEO data was filled in for the website. We're running a multi-lingual website, so I've changed the fieldtypes and everything worked as expected except for the homepage. For example: when I am searching the company name on google (NL), the website shows up with the link to the dutch homepage which is alright, but the seo description hasn't changed while the field isn't empty in the SEO tab on the Homepage. I can see that the meta data is in the page but google doesn't use it.

1644902634_Schermafbeelding2018-05-17om10_15_43.thumb.png.de4dfd7b3eea1242070b3dfc7596bb14.png

Is this a known issue and can it be solved or is it something different? 

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm away next week, so don't expect any quick responses to this question, but I am curious if anyone is using my fork (don't forget to go to the other non-master branch)?

If you are, I'd love to hear your feedback and curious whether you think I should try to contact Nico and see if I can either take over this project, or whether I should make it a new module?

There are lots of new features and in my mind lots of pretty critical bug/functionality fixes.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @adrian

I'm not using your fork actively - because I wasn't previously aware of it. I do know people who use Nico's original module - but having had a quick look at the changes in your module I'll be switching over to using it going forward. If Nico is not currently accepting pull requests, (I know I go through phases like that with my modules) then perhaps starting an alternative module from your fork would be the way to go. MarkupSEOExtended?

• Like 1

Hi @netcarver - thanks for your thoughts.

Nico has just given me push permissions to the repo for this module so I could now start maintaining this module moving forward.

However, I honestly don't really want another high profile module on my list of things to support at the moment, so if I do take this on, I will be looking for the community to help with PRs moving forward. Regarding your suggestion to me via PM about a community Github organization - I still think this might be a good idea, but I am also ok with being the gatekeeper for the module, just not wanting to take on being the support person - does that make sense?

The other issue is that my fork has several breaking changes that prevent easy upgrading from the current master version that is in the modules directory, so without some manual DB changes, it should only be used for new installs.

Anyone else have any thoughts on how best to proceed to ensure no-one breaks there site when upgrading to my new version? Maybe I just need to add an upgrade() method that prevents the module from updating old installs?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, adrian said:

Maybe I just need to add an upgrade() method that prevents the module from updating old installs?

I am yet to check out this module so I am for sure not the best person to answer this questions, however I think if you just write a short manual migration guide and prevent accidental upgrading then it should be enough for us developers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, adrian said:

Anyone else have any thoughts on how best to proceed to ensure no-one breaks there site when upgrading to my new version? Maybe I just need to add an upgrade() method that prevents the module from updating old installs?

I think your module fork should be on its own - just to minimize the risk to break a site.

I don't know if it's possible to check if Nicos version is installed and therefore your version can't get installed. Or similar.

If an upgrade() method is easy to do I'll be fine with it, too. ? 

Regarding community help... count me in as tester (at least as this). As we talk about testing, where is the best place to report issues? Github? Here?

On 7/17/2018 at 6:28 PM, adrian said:

Hi @netcarver - thanks for your thoughts.

I'd simply call it a new version with a different fork . Put a notice on the current version that a new version is available.

Perhaps a user like me can have V1 installed and then simply install separately install V2, test and then remove V1.

• 3 weeks later...

I’d love to see, as an option, a user-supplied character inserted between title and sitename. For instance, I usually use the pipe (|) character or sometimes a hyphen. And this character would only obviously be inserted if both title and sitename are used. If sitename isn't supplied, then the pipe or whatever gets stripped.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, Harmen said:

First of all, this module is great!

Unfortunately I'm having some issues. Yesterday most of the SEO data was filled in for the website. We're running a multi-lingual website, so I've changed the fieldtypes and everything worked as expected except for the homepage. For example: when I am searching the company name on google (NL), the website shows up with the link to the dutch homepage which is alright, but the seo description hasn't changed while the field isn't empty in the SEO tab on the Homepage. I can see that the meta data is in the page but google doesn't use it.

1644902634_Schermafbeelding2018-05-17om10_15_43.thumb.png.de4dfd7b3eea1242070b3dfc7596bb14.png

Is this a known issue and can it be solved or is it something different? 

Thanks in advance!

Was this solved? Im having the same issue. Everything looks fine but the home page SEO won't update. Even if I post link through Facebook. All othes pages and suppages work fine. Looking through source all is there and looks fine. Any ideas?

Thank you

R

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I read a few things about implementing a multi-language feature of this module but I can't find anything in the module.
Has anyone managed to do a multi-language setup with SEO?

Also the meta tags are in the source file but Google doesn't use them.
Same issue as @Roych

For multi-language SEO tags you can use a FieldtypeFieldsetGroup in your templates (put it on a new tab for easy access):  https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-3.0.73-and-new-fieldset-types/ .. echo this vars inside an included file (or use a Markup Region) in the main template file.

PS: I never try with FieldtypeFieldsetPage, but can works too

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, joelplambeck said:

Hi everyone,

I read a few things about implementing a multi-language feature of this module but I can't find anything in the module.
Has anyone managed to do a multi-language setup with SEO?

Also the meta tags are in the source file but Google doesn't use them.
Same issue as @Roych

If you have the required language modules installed, you just change the field type of the seo fields, look for field seo_title, and see that you can change it to other types of fields, in this case, you want Text multilanguage for seo_title, it should show up after the multilanguage modules are setup. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, elabx said:

If you have the required language modules installed, you just change the field type of the seo fields, look for field seo_title, and see that you can change it to other types of fields, in this case, you want Text multilanguage for seo_title, it should show up after the multilanguage modules are setup. 

Oh wow, Thank you so much @elabx 

I could have come up with that myself. Sometimes you don't think of the easiest solution. Thanks for giving me a heads up!

You have a great day!

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Peter Knight said:

Hi @adrian 

Does your fork have NoIndex and NoFollow fields by default?

Hey Peter - you can customize in the settings exactly how you want - site wide, template wide and even by page IIRC. 

However, you might want to check out: https://github.com/wanze/SeoMaestro

@Wanze looks to have done a beautiful job on this.

@GhostRider - you might also want to check that new module out.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi all, we've started experiencing an odd problem where this extension has stopped auto-injecting the meta tags into some sites. The manual tag insertion still works.

I can't work out the common denominator - has anyone else experienced this?

Just now, Guy Incognito said:

Hi all, we've started experiencing an odd problem where this extension has stopped auto-injecting the meta tags into some sites. The manual tag insertion still works.

I can't work out the common denominator - has anyone else experienced this?

Are you using my fork: https://github.com/adrianbj/MarkupSEO/commits/various-fixes-enhancements or the main repo?

Just now, Guy Incognito said:

Does this sound like something that has already been addressed then?

Not sure - I fixed so many bugs I can't recall anymore ? Maybe have a read through my Github commits - it might note this, not sure.