Trouble with user rights after upgrade

totoff

Hi Forum,

I updatet a site from 2.2.9 to 2.5.3 yesterday. I have a role "editor" which  - amongst othter rights - has the right to edit pages (set under access). In my template I allow editors to view, edit, create and add children.

Since the upgrade one member (actually the only one) reports that she can't add child pages anymore which worked perfectly fine before. I did check all settings twice, but everything seems to be set allright.

Any ideas on how to debug / sort this?

Thanks!

Without really knowing about that, Have you tried to create a complete new user "Editor2" and change settings in a template to give him the edit-rights?

And of course, I think you have done it right, but what are the exact rights this editor have?

And what restrictions has the Parent-Template and what has the Child-Template?

OT: For me in those situations, I go and write things down (into an Editor or on a plain sheet of paper), and sometimes in such a process I see a bit clearer afterwards.

If you do not find anything push the thread once more!

Hi and thanks for your replies,

yes, I tried to login with her account.

What bothers me: It worked perfectly fine before the update. I would like to understand, what happend.

However, all templates inherited their access rights from the root-template. I have solved the problem now by adding access rights to the templates of the pages below root, thus they do not inherit access anymore. That fixed it for now.

• Like 1

Good to hear you have a temporary fix.

I don't think the update alone could have caused that. Are you sure nothing else is changed? Especially if there are others for whom it is working fine. Do you have any other logic associated with your users? 

And what do you mean by "she can't add child pages"? Can't she publish or doesn't she the "New" button?

• Like 1

And what do you mean by "she can't add child pages"? Can't she publish or doesn't she the "New" button?

She sees the new button but get's (got) an error message: "You don't have access to the template ..." (like that).

I had similar issue from 2.3 something to 2.4 something where editor could not edit pages anymore. I had to open roles and save to get it working again. Nobody knows why. I filed an issue back then but Ryan doesn't know why. Which scares me a little. Cause theres also some other things that are happening that nobody can explain why. Sometimes it's hard to tell and not able to reproduce.

I had similar issue from 2.3 something to 2.4 something where editor could not edit pages anymore. I had to open roles and save to get it working again. Nobody knows why. I filed an issue back then but Ryan doesn't know why. Which scares me a little. Cause theres also some other things that are happening that nobody can explain why. Sometimes it's hard to tell and not able to reproduce.

You have piqued my interest. I don't really follow the GitHub issue list on a regular basis but is there some kind of list of lingering, quite obscure issues that are not really reproducible? If so it would be nice to bring these together, along with possible work-arounds.

HI all,

many thanks again for your replies.

Just to sum up, the problem could be described as follows: After updating from 2.2.9 to 2.5.3 inheritance of rights between pages with different templates didn't work anymore. The issue is clearly associated with the update as this was the only change I made to a perfectly working system.

I did not bother around very much with making new roles and associating my users to it as this is a live site. I tried, as Soma suggested, to save roles and users and all templates but this didn't work for me.

I finally found a workaround by assigning access rights to the templates in question (instead of letting them inherit it) and this works now. However, it is not the intended behaviour of the system.

Would you think I should file a bug?

• Like 2

I finally found a workaround by assigning access rights to the templates in question (instead of letting them inherit it) and this works now. However, it is not the intended behaviour of the system.

I had the same problem on a fresh 2.5 installlation, and this 'fixed' it for me too.

My exact set-up:

- Local development database + install (fresh 2.5.0 installation)

- Moved both to staging server

- Added an 'admin' role, with amongst others: editing permissions

- Added a user for my client using the new role

I could only get the user to edit by adding the editing permissions for each template individually.