New 2.5 site launch 500 error

jsantari

I've just moved a site from my local dev to production server to launch. I've got several 2.4 sites running on this server. Did this in the way I've done it in the past (dump local database, setup new db on production, imported db files, change site/config.php to use new db settings, copy all files from dev to production). When I try to access the site I'm getting this error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM in /home/turtlefl/public_html/wire/core/Modules.php on line 618

No idea what's wrong here? Saw reference to setting RewriteBase / - tried it but no luck. Never had to on the other sites either. 

• 1 month later...

You may also need the following at the top of your htaccess file:

# Use PHP5.4 as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php54 .php

I had set my site up in a subdirectory for the client to see and it worked fine, but when I moved it to the top level, it threw a 500 server error and the error log showed "unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM." So I checked the htaccess file of the WordPress system that I was replacing and there was the magic line that solved the problem.

Thank you, jsantari for asking and arjen for your answer.
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Same exact thing just happened to me, moving a PW site from a working subdirectory to the root where wordpress was before.

I didn't get that PAAMAYIM error at first, just a 500 error. I installed a clean version of PW and then got the PAAMAYIM things which googling led me to this post.

Switching php versions back and forth through the host cpanel made it create new php.ini files which fixed it. 

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Have 2 PW installs on the same machine, only different domains/folders

One I upgraded from 2.5.29 (or so) so from dev to 2.6 shortly after it was launched

Everything worked great, ah this one I updated using SystemUpdate module

The second one I just updated from 2.4.0 to 2.6 and got the T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM error (front- & backend)

cleared everything, only switching PHP from 5.2 to 5.3 did it

The first one runs perfectly fine on PHP 5.2

Just wanted to share this experience ;)

One question, is there any downside having PHP 5.3 but as cgi instead of 5.2 as apache module?

Saludos

• Like 1

In ProcessWire 2.5 or 2.6 the minimum PHP version is 5.3.8.  Running your installation at any version less than what is stated is certainly possible but not supported.  

FYI, PHP 5.2 End-Of-Life was 6 January 2011.  PHP 5.3 End-Of-Life was 14 August 2014.  

As the official PHP website states

If you are using these releases, you are strongly urged to upgrade to a current version, as using older versions may expose you to security vulnerabilities and bugs that have been fixed in more recent versions of PHP.
  • Like 2