Profields Table CSV Importer / Exporter

adrian

This module adds CSV import and export functionality to Profields Table fields on both the admin and front-end.

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/table-csv-import-export/
https://github.com/adrianbj/TableCsvImportExport

Access to the admin import/export for non-superusers is controlled by two automatically created permissions:

table-csv-import and table-csv-export

Another permission (table-csv-import-overwrite) allows you to control access to the overwrite option when importing.

The overwrite option is also controlled at the field level. Go to the table field's Input tab and check the new "Allow overwrite option" if you want this enabled at all for the specific field.

Please consider limiting import overwrite option to trusted roles as you could do a lot of damage very quickly with the overwrite option :)

post-985-0-54092400-1412974677_thumb.png

post-985-0-17382500-1413051422_thumb.png

Front-end export of a table field to CSV can be achieved with the exportCsv() method:

// export as CSV if csv_export=1 is in url
if($input->get->csv_export==1){
   $modules->get('ProcessTableCsvExport'); // load module
   // delimiter, enclosure, file extension, multiple fields separator, names in first row
   $page->fields->tablefield->exportCsv('tab', '"', 'tsv', '|', true); 
}
// display content of template with link to same page with appended csv_export=1
else{
   include("./head.inc");

echo $page->tablefield->render(); //render table - not necessary for export - just displaying the table
   echo "<a href='./?csv_export=1'>Export Table as CSV</a>"; //link to initiate export

include("./foot.inc");
}

Front-end import can be achieved with the importCsv() method:

$modules->get('TableCsvImportExport'); // load module
// data, delimiter, enclosure, convert decimals, ignore first row, multiple fields separator, append or overwrite
$page->fields->tablefield->importCsv($csvData, ';', '"', true, false, '|', 'append');

Please let me know if you have any problems, or suggestions for improvements.

Enjoy!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I was confused by that which is why I hadn't commented yet - I was trying to let it sink in to see if I could get what you meant :)

I should probably do a little more cleaning of the CSV for trailing commas, extra spaces, and the like - it's on my list.

Small update committed for finer control over the overwrite option when importing.

The new table-csv-import-overwrite permission allows you to control access to the overwrite option when importing. If a user doesn't have this permission, they won't have the option to choose overwrite.

The overwrite option is also controlled at the field level. Go to the table field's Input tab and check the new "Allow overwrite option" if you want this enabled at all for the specific field. So if overwrite is not enabled for each particular table field, it doesn't matter what permission the user has, no-one will have access to it.

post-985-0-15034700-1413051579_thumb.png
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome module Adrian thanks for sharing. I am getting some strange behavior though. I have two different table field types assigned to one template. When I try uploading a csv I get the following error message. "That is not an allowed file extension for a CSV import. Try again with a .csv, .tsv, or .txt file". My file is indeed a csv.

I have tried both tab and comma separated columns.  If "ignore first row" is checked, it will not import anything. If it is unchecked, it will import only one row. 

Also, if I paste the csv data it imports it fine into the desired columns and table, but also imports the data into the other table field assigned to that template. The two table field types have different names and a different amounts of columns. Any suggestions or tips is appreciated. I will be glad to pm you the csv I am using if you so wish. Thanks in advance.

Hi Adrain, 

I removed one table field from the template and that is when I was able to get it to import the one row after I unchecked "ignore first row" however, I still received the same error message, but it did import the one row. It sound like something is wrong with my csv but I cant see where.  I think there may be a separate issue with it importing into both field types. I am sending you the csv file now. Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

Thanks @RJay - I think I have managed to fix all those issues - I hadn't tested with multiple Table fields on the one page. Please check the latest version and let me know how it goes for you.

PS There was nothing wrong with your CSV file.

Hi Adrian, 

Thanks for such a quick response time. Premium service there :). After applying your updates, I was able to paste the csv data in and it was applied to the proper table, ignoring the other.

However, when trying to import the csv file I still get the message "Session: That is not an allowed file extension for a CSV import. Try again with a .csv, .tsv, or .txt file"

I tried this on both local and development servers just in case it was a permission issue. I then tried removing one of the tables, once I did that, I still received the message, but it did import the first row of the csv file. I am going to try maybe a text file and then just redoing the fields and go from there. I'll let you know what my results are.

*Update

Uploading a txt file works perfectly. Not sure why it does not like the csv files.

However, when trying to import the csv file I still get the message "Session: That is not an allowed file extension for a CSV import. Try again with a .csv, .tsv, or .txt file"

I am thinking it must be my mimetype checks. Can you please try replacing:

if(($csv_file_extension == 'csv' || $csv_file_extension == 'txt' || $csv_file_extension == 'tsv') &&
    ($csv_type == 'text/plain' || $csv_type == 'text/tab-separated-values' || $csv_type == 'text/csv')){
    $this->session->{$fieldName . '_csv_data'} = file_get_contents($_FILES[$csv_filename]["tmp_name"]);
}

with:

if($csv_file_extension == 'csv' || $csv_file_extension == 'txt' || $csv_file_extension == 'tsv'){
    $this->session->{$fieldName . '_csv_data'} = file_get_contents($_FILES[$csv_filename]["tmp_name"]);
}

and see if that allows the csv upload to work.

• Like 1

Great to hear. I have committed another update that removes those checks - they really aren't very useful anyways as they can be manipulated in the browser and aren't always provided (hence the errors you were getting).

Can you please confirm that all the other multiple Table field and issues with only one row importing are also now solved?

Thanks for your help in getting this all fixed.

Importing and exporting both appear to be working perfectly. Thank you for providing such a great module and excellent support for it. It still amazes me how helpful the staff, moderators and other forum members are around here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Adrian,

This is a jolly helpful module, thanks for developing it.

I ran into a problem when using it on a page where the table field is contained within a repeater on the page's template.

The set up is as follows:

The page template has the following fields:
  • Title
  • Programmes
Programmes is a repeater field containing two fields:
  • Year
  • Programme
The Year field is an integer field
The Programme field is the table field

The error occurs on page save and is reported as follows:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in [my_path_to]/site/modules/TableCsvImportExport/TableCsvImportExport.module on line 263

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [my_path_to]/site/modules/TableCsvImportExport/TableCsvImportExport.module on line 263

Fatal error: Call to a member function makeBlankItem() on a non-object in [my_path_to]/site/modules/TableCsvImportExport/TableCsvImportExport.module on line 277
Error: Call to a member function makeBlankItem() on a non-object (line 277 of [my_path_to]/site/modules/TableCsvImportExport/TableCsvImportExport.module) 
This error message was shown because site is in debug mode ($config->debug = true; in /site/config.php). Error has been logged.

By reworking the template to include only Title and Programme fields (i.e. a single table, no repeater) the problem goes away.

I can work with that but wondered, since one of the posts above deals with a similar/related use case, if you can help at all.

Many thanks,

Nic

@sgt.blikey - I am glad you like it. I have put together a fix for supporting repeaters - please let me know if it works for you as expected. If anyone sees any issues with normal Table fields (not in repeaters), with this new version, please let me know!

Even though I just added support for repeaters, I want to make sure you have you read this thread: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8832-error-in-complex-form/ - it is in the Profields support board, but I am assuming you have access. In particular read the post by Ryan where he says that Tables in Repeaters are not officially supported, although he does say that if they were working and now aren't, he'd consider investigating. 

Mostly just wanted to warn you that maybe you will run into other issues with this approach.

Have you considered switching to PageTables or even simple child pages and putting your Table field in those?

@adrian

I (don't) think I had seen the thread you linked to. I guess table fields in repeaters is adding a layer of complexity that need not be there and it would be sensible to follow the PageTables/child pages route.

I'll have a go with your updated module and let you know how that goes but will probably implement as PageTables/child pages.

Many thanks for acting so promptly.

Nic

(oops, hadn't actually seen that thread!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have just added support for single and multiple page-reference fields and multiple options - requires PW 2.6.4 and Table 7-beta that Ryan released last week.

• Export converts page IDs to the title of the page.
  • Import looks up the titles and populates the table with the IDs of the matching pages.

Please let me know if you have any problems with this new version.

• Like 1

A few more tweaks - you can now specify the separator when importing and exporting tables with the new multi-value fields. Also a couple of bug fixes and a speed improvement when importing.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Adrian,

I think there's a problem when using your module with any other code or modules that use fgets() or file() - such as Horst's WireQueueTextfile module (and possibly others.) I've just spent a couple of hours tracking this down over IRC with a client.

The init() routine of your module sets PHPs auto_detect_line_endings flag to true - which can have un-intended consequences on other code run after your module initialises. In my client's case, they are using WireQueue with the textfile storage and it was throwing up errors, with your module installed, while unserialising a line pulled from the queue file using fgets() at the end of the getItem() method that pulls an item from the Wire Queue.

Commenting out the following in TableCsvImportExport.module;

ini_set('auto_detect_line_endings', true);

fixed things for us.

I understand the attraction of making the exported/imported files cross-platform compatible, but I think your module has other options open rather than changing the PHP setting during the init() routine. Perhaps, at the start of the import routine, you could read the initial state of that flag, then ini_set() it to true while you do the import and finally restore it to the initial setting on exit from your routine?

Thanks for your great modules and for considering this request!

• Like 2

Hi Steve - sorry you had to waste a couple of hours troubleshooting that, but thanks for the detailed analysis of the problem and the solution.

The latest version should take care of it - please let me know if there are any continued problems.

Thanks again!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hello ! 

I have a strange problem when importing .csv file. The error is:

32×PHP Notice: Array to string conversion in .../TableCsvImportExport/TableCsvImportExport.module:360
16×PHP Notice: Indirect modification of overloaded property TableRow::$Array has no effect in .../TableCsvImportExport/TableCsvImportExport.module:360

The content of csv file  :

00003;07-05-2016;14:37:57;0;3;5106;18;58;31;102;1;0;237;7;31;3;16;1;0;0;0

Can you help me ?