Family Tree without pages

KentBrockman

Hey there,

once again I need your support.

We are currently working on a project for a sport horse trader. To every horse in the database the pedigree should be shown.

If the ancestors are horses in the database too, it would be clear, that i only have to mark up the mother and father by a page-field. So i could show the family tree using recursion.

But in this project the ancestors are only names, means text without a link. To create a page for every ancestors would be hard to handle.

Does anyone have a good idea on how to implement a family tree without using pages? 

Repeater, ProFields?

THX!

Martjin, your posted solution fit's perfect... To another customer we've got. :)
Thank you in advance!

But for this project i would like to get back to my initial question.

Background:
The pedigree is only to show the horses ancestors in a small overview. No children will be shown and no more ancestors than mother/father and grandmothers/grandfathers. That means a depth of only two ancestors.
According to the briefing, the customers is selling a lot of sports horses in a week. So it would be nice if the customer would not have to create six pages with just names to build up the pedigree for a single horse. To make the creation of a horse easy and fast I'm thinking about only one page on which the customer can set all the data including the pedigree at.

I think I will create six simple text fields for the pedigree...
Or does anyone see an acceptable solution without pages?

Thanks!