Module: FirstSteps

blad

This module displays tutorials according to the  page where you are (based on intro.js). It also displays useful links. It is in process. Suggestions and reviews are welcome. To test the module go to modules or pagelist after install.

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

Done:
- PageList
- Modules

To Do:
- Access
-User, Roles, Permissions
- Setup
-Templates
-Fields
-Languages
-PageEdit
-Search

Github

Edited by blad
  • Like 16

hey blad,

looks great from what i see in the screenshot!

do you know nicos version? https://processwire.com/talk/topic/7666-getstarted-a-module-that-helps-first-time-users-to-understand-processwire-faster/

maybe you can also host one version of your module at lightning.pw for everyone to try?

I didn´t know that module :S I'll upload a video of 10 seconds. Thanks!

edited: or 40 seconds...

Edited by blad
  • Like 2

I don't think developers need something like this (I would be annoyed at least), but it's a perfect solution for showing clients around! I would focus on that, making the module completely configurable so the developer can prepare a nice presentation of the interface once the site is finished. I would use it for sure :)

• Like 6

Agreed with Diogo, the idea of using this to help clients (and especially new users we haven't been able to instruct yet) to get used to the basic features of ProcessWire popped in my head instantly. Anyway, this looks awesome and I'll definitely give it a try soon! :)

• Like 1

Kudos, blad, this is impressive and has huge potential!

The irony of the proposal to tailor these modules to end users/editors is, that at least in my experience all of my customers praised the ProcessWire backend for its self-explaining quality. Other CMS need such a tool 1000 times more, but haven't. ProcessWire got two of them within a few days :D

• Like 5

I second everyone's comments - this looks awesome for showing clients around. Nico's module is definitely more for developers.

As diogo said - it would be awesome to have this configurable so that we could highlight features that are unique to each site and perhaps each template so if they go to edit a complicated page with lots of alternate options. I haven't thought through how you'd do this though - maybe an MarkupAdminDataTable where we could choose the template and create each slide of the tutorial for that template.

Anyway - awesome work - looking forward to seeing this progress!

• Like 1

It's nice even if it is kind of the same I build. 

I think your solution is nice for guiding around clients and mine is better for new developers who are using pw for the first time (I explain more about how it works and helpful links, etc.).

If you need help or want to reduce overlapping just contact me ;)

• Like 2

thanks for the video - that's the most comfortable way to get a good impression :)

i like your module a lot and think it would be a great addition to the basic profiles!

I don't think developers need something like this (I would be annoyed at least), but it's a perfect solution for showing clients around! I would focus on that, making the module completely configurable so the developer can prepare a nice presentation of the interface once the site is finished. I would use it for sure :)

Agreed with Diogo, the idea of using this to help clients (and especially new users we haven't been able to instruct yet) to get used to the basic features of ProcessWire popped in my head instantly. Anyway, this looks awesome and I'll definitely give it a try soon! :)

Blad you've done some fine piece of work :-). And agree here with both teppo & diogo.

Kudos, blad, this is impressive and has huge potential!

The irony of the proposal to tailor these modules to end users/editors is, that at least in my experience all of my customers praised the ProcessWire backend for its self-explaining quality. Other CMS need such a tool 1000 times more, but haven't. ProcessWire got two of them within a few days :D

I second everyone's comments - this looks awesome for showing clients around. Nico's module is definitely more for developers.

As diogo said - it would be awesome to have this configurable so that we could highlight features that are unique to each site and perhaps each template so if they go to edit a complicated page with lots of alternate options. I haven't thought through how you'd do this though - maybe an MarkupAdminDataTable where we could choose the template and create each slide of the tutorial for that template.

Anyway - awesome work - looking forward to seeing this progress!

It's nice even if it is kind of the same I build. 

I think your solution is nice for guiding around clients and mine is better for new developers who are using pw for the first time (I explain more about how it works and helpful links, etc.).

If you need help or want to reduce overlapping just contact me ;)

Thanks everyone! I´ll try to do this module a configurable site tour creator for our clients. I think a textarea with array and explode is the best solution. For example "PageProcess, #idor.class of element, Introtext" Can anyone help me with the "first steps"? :)

I tried to get the lines in a textarea with explode (\n & ,) and not working. I'm doing wrong something.

It should work :-)...This is how I have done it in ProcessBlog

//$addTags will be a string of text separated by a new line (\n).
$addTags = $this->input->post->tags_add_text;

if ($addTags) {
        $tags = explode("\n", $addTags);
        foreach ($tags as $t) {

//do you stuff
       }

}

Good job on the module! :D

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

It should work :-)...This is how I have done it in ProcessBlog

//$addTags will be a string of text separated by a new line (\n).
$addTags = $this->input->post->tags_add_text;

if ($addTags) {
        $tags = explode("\n", $addTags);
        foreach ($tags as $t) {

//do you stuff
       }

}
Good job on the module! :D

Thanks Kongondo!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey,

yes it is completely translatable. Just go to "setup -> languages" (you have to have multilanguage support activated) and chooses german or create german. There are two sections then: frontend and backend translations. Add a new backend translations and choose the modules file.

I know there are mixed views on what should be core and what shouldn't, but I am thinking an option to install this during installation wouldn't be a terrible idea - you know, as long as the major pages are all covered with tutorials :) (And on that subject a few more things during install that could be optional too, but I digress).

This is useful for everyone but definitely new PW users (admins) to get an idea of what things do.

• Like 1