GetStarted - A module that helps first time users to understand ProcessWire faster

Nico Knoll

Nico, I like your implementation very much! Strangely, the areas don't collapse when I go there through the links, but they do if I go directly through the menu. Is it supposed to be like that?

@diogo: Exactly how I want to. It works like this: They are always collapsed but when you see them for the first time or you have ?showInfo=1 in the url. The links have "?showInfo=1" in the url.

Thinking about this was that I don't want the boxes to take that much space all of the time. But if you click on the link you probably want to learn more about it. So it should be completely visible.

so good! I think the URL logic makes sense.

here's some feedback during my brief testing on the lightning.pw site:

• I think the title with the info icon should stick stay even after you click it. Compare to Templates -> Filters, which can be expanded in a similar way. It feels more consistent to have it work the same.
  • Maybe lose the punctation mark in each title, since PW adds "..." anyway :)
  • External and internal links looks the same. It's hard to know where you'll end up when you click them. Not a major issue but maybe we could differentiate external links (to processwire.com, youtube etc) with a small icon. Or the have the titles say "Learn more on Processwire.com" etc. not sure.
  • The "uninstall" button in the bottom right of each box feels redundant and maybe a bit repetitive? perhaps the info on the first screen is enough? Experienced users (that doesn't need the help) will probably know how to uninstall it anyway.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

• I think the title with the info icon should stick stay even after you click it. Compare to Templates -> Filters, which can be expanded in a similar way. It feels more consistent to have it work the same.

It just looks better that way. But I'll think about it :)

• Maybe lose the punctation mark in each title, since PW adds "..." anyway

Will do this in the next update.

• External and internal links looks the same. It's hard to know where you'll end up when you click them. Not a major issue but maybe we could differentiate external links (to processwire.com, youtube etc) with a small icon. Or the have the titles say "Learn more on Processwire.com" etc. not sure.

In my first versions I had this external icon included but it doesn't looked good. But you're right with that point. I'll find a solution for the next update.

• The "uninstall" button in the bottom right of each box feels redundant and maybe a bit repetitive? perhaps the info on the first screen is enough? Experienced users (that doesn't need the help) will probably know how to uninstall it anyway.

Probably you're right. I'll probably remove it.

hey blad and nico,

personally i like blad's implementation more than nicos - i think it's easier to follow because it's kind of a step by step guide. so i think it would be a pity to stop your work on this. maybe you can put best of both your versions together? :)

• Like 1

hey blad and nico,

personally i like blad's implementation more than nicos - i think it's easier to follow because it's kind of a step by step guide. so i think it would be a pity to stop your work on this. maybe you can put best of both your versions together? :)

As I said here https://processwire.com/talk/topic/7728-module-firststeps/?p=74939 I think Blad's module would be perfect for showing around to our clients much more than new developers or designers. For those, Nico's is better because it shows the right places to learn.

EDIT: hey, what happened to the link? This forum is crazy sometimes...

Edited by diogo
added the link back
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

It would be really cool if we had a module that blends this one and Template Notes, so that we can make custom tips for customers... What do you think?

Reason I bring this up: Template Notes is cool, but I prefer tips to be just above whatever is being edited. Also, would love to be able to customise the tips on the page tree, and other areas of the backend.

• Like 1