How many of you rely on templates?

OrganizedFellow

I just discovered FoundationDeck.

It's a marketplace SOLELY for Foundation5 templates, NICE!

I used to browse ThemeForest and somehow came across this little gem.

www.foundationdeck.com

I bought a template just a couple of days ago.

---------------------

It eases the design load. Lets us focus on the development and back-end.

No need to reinvent the wheel, right?

• Like 2

If it's just a personal project that I just want to get out there, then sometimes I will use a pre-made template, but for clients I make something different each time.

It does depend on skills, budget and timescales as well as whether or not the customer minds if you use a template that could be being used hundreds of times elsewhere.

For a head-start I use http://getuikit.com/ (have used Foundation as well) but I tend to have an idea of where I want to take it from those basic starting blocks. I am by no means an awesome designer though :)

• Like 2

I'm actually not against the idea. It can make a lot of sense if it is giving a customer a happy outcome for their budget however there always seems to be some almighty compromise.

These templates often look lovely and shiny and then the minute you open them up in a code editor your day goes quickly downhill :D

I prefer to work with talented designers like Erika (http://www.ed-works.com) amongst others.

Where budget becomes tight I try and at least see if we can come up with a design "concept" in that time without fully fleshing it out.

• Like 1

Opinions are divided clearly. It looks that those who want to see processwire more beginners friendly

also ask for templates. Maybe this would work if the client makes his own website but not if the client

hires somebody to make the website for him. Maybe some basic templates with pre 3 or 4 column

layout and basic top nav side bar would speed up things a little.

For cheap budget I photoshop a layout and send it as pdf to the client.

There is a difference between an html/css template vs. the ready to install templates. I can see the simple html/css ones as a good starting point, if the budget is limited. From there you use the base to iterate further to the final product. The readymade ones, on the other hand, mostly seem more closed to own additions and tighter cuppled to specific forms of data, which isn't that great.

• Like 1

I generally avoid templates because I mostly find it easier to start from scratch.

These templates often look lovely and shiny and then the minute you open them up in a code editor your day goes quickly downhill

I agree to this. Something is always wrong or doesn't match your specific needs and than you have to figure out how to make it work. This often costs much to much time. Call me a "control freak" but I like to know my code (that's why I like to work with PW and fight modules :-)

• Like 2

I like the modularity of purecss.io. And there is no JS preinstalled, what I like even more.

I've used UIKit for one project. But even this was to much rework, to achieve the wanted look.

Normally I use my basic PW Profile and make everything else individual by hand.

Templates makes me headaches every time, if I wants to change anything.