ProcessWire Recipes

marcus

21 hours ago, gebeer said:

With Jekyll, code from gists can be embedded into markdown files: https://gist.github.com/benbalter/5555251 Couldn't find anything for 11ty, though.

I'll look at it as soon as I can. As well into your PR on Github. Looked good. Just need to figure out how to use and distribute those snippets. All snippet solutions I know need at least some kind of container/index. But we will find out. (See PR comment.)

Haven't checked all of them, though. Are these all that exist?

They all have the same format now. Changed his prior to the very first release. All recipes are based on the Legacy repo for now. I personally have some more snippets/recipes which will be added shortly.

Everybody should have moved to PW 3.x already. How would you identify 2.x snippets? Most of the code from 2.x still works in 3.x. So I don't think that this destinction is necessary.

Good point. Maybe we should define those recipes as 3.x only - even though they would/might/could work on a 2x. We will find out I guess.

As for the default standard. https://github.com/webmanufaktur/processwire-recipes/blob/master/src/pages/submit-recipe.md already is a good starting point. I don't think we need categories in addition to tags. Categorization can be done through tags in a flexible manner.

We could always add this additional layer. I have those already in place. I might add categories after adding some of my snippets/recipes. As there are a few for FormBuilder and other Pro Modules. Which could be a nice addition. But that's yet another "we will see" option for now.

Couldn't we also use tags for that, like "init", "ready", "hook"? EDIT: I just did that and made a PR.

We can and should for the moment. I already merged your PR into the latest version/release.

Thanks for all the thoughts, updates and PRs. Awesome!

8 hours ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

Thanks for taking care of this project. Hope under your governance it will grow and thrive!

Thank you so much.

I really hope and wish we all can achieve some kind of an awesome hub for newcomers and even long-time users.  This would be great.

8 hours ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

I spotted some issues with responsive design. You get a horizontal scroll on some pages like this one. Take a look when you got time.

Just pushed another UI update. Still not perfect but at least that issue should be gone for now.

Would appreciate your feedback on the latest update.

• Like 2

So... you might have noticed that there was another/new release on processwire.recipes.

A few things were added, removed, updated... and... so... on.

Latest major updates are listed on the changelog page. (which is a new addition on its own)

I added a CoC (Code of Conduct) page, legal details were updated, an upcoming section and a small UI update was there in between as well.

AND... please Star this repo on Github

I'm happy to have your feedback!

• Like 3

First of all, thanks for your work on this!

9 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

You mean all four repos? I starred them all.

Another question: maybe I'm blind a bit, but I cannot find any search function on the site. We can always use Google, like https://www.google.hu/search?q=hook+site%3Aprocesswire.recipes but Google might not be always up-to-date for a while, I guess.

• Like 2

@wbmnfktr Here are some thoughts for improvement and a question:

A search function is missing. Would be great if it could be integrated.
There are search functions that work with html elements, like Search, sort, filters, flexibility to tables, list and more! - List.js (listjs.com)
but this solution would only work if all recipes are on one page, as it is right now.

Going forth and back to see different recipes is not good for the eyes, because of the steady switch of backgrounds. I think it is better if you remove the blue background on the homepage and maybe add some shadows to the recipe cards then.

It would be nice, if you can quickly navigate from one recipe to others. There are several ways this could be done. A search function would be one option, or an iframe as a sidebar with all recipes.

How can I improve a recipe because there are better (newer) methods to accomplish the same? Create a PR for that recipe? Or create a new recipe with the same title with the improved method?

There should be a ProcessWire version field, so someone knows that one method only works with a specific version of PW.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dotnetic said:

It would be nice, if you can quickly navigate from one recipe to others. There are several ways this could be done. A search function would be one option, or an iframe as a sidebar with all recipes.

A search/filter via Vue or alpine js with browser history would surely help here. And/or showing the recipes in a modal could also help for quickly navigating between recipes.

How can I improve a recipe because there are better (newer) methods to accomplish the same? Create a PR for that recipe? Or create a new recipe with the same title with the improved method?

I'd opt for PR to that same recipe. There's no need to keep around old outdated versions if improved ones exist.

There should be a ProcessWire version field, so someone knows that one method only works with a specific version of PW.

I think we can discard recipes for 2.x. But versioning for 3.x would be good because for some API methods we need a min version

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gebeer said:

I'd opt for PR to that same recipe. There's no need to keep around old outdated versions if improved ones exist.

I think maybe both variants should be in the same recipe. I am talking about the recipe creating a page via api. The published method is still viable, but there is also pages->new with a much simpler one argument syntax. So neither is right or wrong, better or badder, but a matter of choice.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 11:22 AM, szabesz said:

Another question: maybe I'm blind a bit, but I cannot find any search function on the site.

That's because there isn't one yet.
I have the search functionality somewhere back in my mind. Promised!

On 3/15/2023 at 5:16 PM, horst said:

Very nice! 👍😄

I thought I keep it simple.

12 hours ago, dotnetic said:

A search function is missing. Would be great if it could be integrated.

As mentioned above the search functionality will come, yet I'm not sure about which way I go here. For now the whole setup is more a proof-of-concept but we will get there.

Going forth and back to see different recipes is not good for the eyes, because of the steady switch of backgrounds. I think it is better if you remove the blue background on the homepage and maybe add some shadows to the recipe cards then.

You are absolutely right about that. For now in an upcoming version I went another route with this as just plain white and shadows didn't work out that well on the eyes as well.

I have some thoughts and ideas here to solve this dead end kind of browsing. I guess we will have this next week. Depends on other projects.

8 hours ago, dotnetic said:

I think maybe both variants should be in the same recipe.

You can just send a pull request with an updated version of the recipe. There is no rule against several solutions in one recipe. In my opinion this would be actually really awesome to show and tell that there are different ways. So feel free to either submit a new or updated recipe. I really appreciate both! In case you update the existing recipe you want to update the version, if available or give a new one, and add yourself to the authors.

I updated the recipe sample here.

In case you or someone else need additional data points like ProcessWire min/max versions or similar. Just add it to the recipe, let me know in the PR and we get it sorted.

Thanks guys for all the great feedback and ideas!

• Like 3

All recipes are now located in the old processwire-recipes/Recipes repository.
All links were updated. We lost some parts in the Git log history but is was worth it.

So whenever you want to submit a new recipes or update a new one... it's based/should be based on the previous repository.

https://processwire.recipes/recipes/create-page-via-api/ (for example / see below recipe / git / raw)

All old recipes were tagged with v1 and branched out to the legacy branch. Just in case.

Some more minor updates will follow and can be found in the Changelog.

@teppo this might be a very good moment to update your footer link again - we are on a new domain now, while being back on the old github/repo. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just pushed the 2023-04-08 update:

⚒️ Features

• Search: Added a first version (proof-of-concept) of the recipe search. #6
  • Prev/Next Links: Added previous/next links on the recipe pages to for faster navigation around recipes. #7

🐛 Bugfixes

• Twitter Meta/Social Tags #4
  • Internal links, SEO tags and assets #5

🍕 Misc changes

• Added: Transparency Report
  • Added: Advertisement
  • Added: Community projects
  • Updated: About, Changelog
  • Listing only 5 recent recipes on homepage, makes it a bit faster
  • Enabled Table of contens on pages where necessary

More in the Changelog.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

Search: Added a first version (proof-of-concept) of the recipe search. #6

Thanks for the updates and happy easter!

When I click on the search icon I get redirected to https://processwire.recipes/topic/search/. Some if I type /search in the URL diractly. Something going wrong with the routing there, I guess

• Like 1

The search is working now 🙂

Some thoughts:
For someone who doesn't really know what they are searching for, it would be good to have a tag list (either complete or a subset) on the search page. By clicking one ore more tags, all relevant recipes should be listed as results.
a tag list with the same functionality could also be implemented on the main recipes page (top or side) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gebeer said:

The search is working now 🙂

Some thoughts:
For someone who doesn't really know what they are searching for, it would be good to have a tag list (either complete or a subset) on the search page. By clicking one ore more tags, all relevant recipes should be listed as results.
a tag list with the same functionality could also be implemented on the main recipes page (top or side) 

I made a proof of concept how this could look like: https://codepen.io/gebeer/live/qBJdJjd If you want to adapt that, we can go on from there.

• Like 1