processwire 2.5, when?

seedle

hi,

i'm going to start a new project on processwire. shall i start with 2.4 or wait for 2.5? i read on the news section that 2.5 is very much around. maybe i should wait?

thanks!

Edited by kongondo
Hope you don't mind. Edited topic title and post to refer to full version numbers in order not to confuse :-)

I’d say give the current dev version a whirl and update when 2.5 is released. Check out the dev branch thread in the announcements forum. A bunch of people are already running dev on production sites, as it seems.

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/tree/dev

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/3768-processwire-dev-branch/page-13

edit: eh, beaten. Copy and paste is a bit tedious on mobile :D

• Like 3

We're aiming for soft launch this Friday and official a week later. Tried for last Friday but still had some issues to resolve + waiting on some things. I believe it's safe to start using now, but you'll still want to upgrade when 2.5 is official.

• Like 20

i'm going to start a new project on processwire. shall i start with 2.4 or wait for 2.5? i read on the news section that 2.5 is very much around. maybe i should wait?

In agreement with everyone else - start with the current dev. That's what I'm doing for two sites I'm busy building. When it's released, it's simply a matter of 'upgrading', as Ryan said.

We're aiming for soft launch this Friday and official a week later. Tried for last Friday but still had some issues to resolve + waiting on some things. I believe it's safe to start using now, but you'll still want to upgrade when 2.5 is official.

That's fantastic news indeed!

For ALL software, webaps, CMSs, etc. I choose to wait and use the previous most stable version.

There is SO much to learn to master our tools, that upgrading early is (sort of) tougher. At least for me.

Before I get overwhelmed with all the cool new tools and widgets and gizmos and gadgets in 2.5, I want to learn 2.4 to the best of my ability.

I'll NEVER MASTER it, as I'm still working on my PHP skills.

• But generally, I would say (to newbs) to just use the current stable 2.4.
  • Learn it well.
  • Then upgrade. Take your time.

One could say you're able to pre-order PW 2.5 this friday, and it gets shipped on the 19th  ;)

• Like 1