gRegor

Upgrading 2.5 dev versions

In early August I installed the dev branch of ProcessWire 2.5. I'd like to upgrade to the latest dev version. Does that entail just uploading the latest version of the files, then checking the install.sql file and making changes to the database manually?

Unfortunately, I did not make note of which Git commit it was I installed from, though I could probably narrow it down to the date. The footer reports v2.4.10, but I don't think that's correct?

Thanks for any help. I'm new to running dev versions of PW.

He, if I get you right, you have version 2.4.10 installed and want upgrade to 2.4.17 (or the latest version available)?

• you should make a DB-backup
  • rename your current wire folder to something like wire-2410
  • rename your current index.php to index.php.bak or something
  • and then upload only the wire folder of the latest version and the index.php

Regarding changes in the .htaccess file I have compared the 2.4.9 against the 2.4.17 and there were only 2 new lines added (row 150 + 151):

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # Access Restrictions: Protect ProcessWire system files
  # -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Allow screenshot files (for install.php only: this 1 line below may be removed after install)
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(^|/)site-[^/]+/install/[^/]+\.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif)$
  # Block access to any htaccess files
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)\.htaccess$ [NC,OR]

You need to update that manually.

Then you should start the site by log into the admin and also view your site from the frontend.

• Like 3

Good points from Horst. 

On my sites I just replace the /wire/ directory with the new one. Actually I rename the old one to ".wire" (or something like that, just in case I need it back… never have though) then put in the new one. PW automatically takes care of any database changes, so you don't need to worry about that. Also, if it needs an .htaccess or index.php update, PW will tell you the next time you login to the admin superuser account. So I wouldn't worry about replacing anything but /wire/ unless PW starts harassing you about it. The htaccess change Horst found above only matters for the installer, which isn't applicable on a site upgrade. 

• Like 2

Thanks, horst and ryan. Wow, that's a really smooth process. I like the auto DB/htaccess updates. PW continually impresses me!

Is there a way to tell what version the dev branch is at? I don't see tags for the minor version numbers. I guess it doesn't matter for the upgrade process; just curious.

Is there a way to tell what version the dev branch is at? I don't see tags for the minor version numbers. I guess it doesn't matter for the upgrade process; just curious.

If checking physically in GitHub, look in the file /wire/core/ProcessWire.php on this line and the next two. Not sure if it is in other places too...

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jeannette
      Hello Fellows,

I have a wonderful webshop, using PL and Padopt, a module developed by Julien Vaubourg and highlighted in ProcessWire Newsletter. Here is our shop: cheval-ami.fr
      I am looking for a new developer, helping me to keep the shop smooth and up to date.
      We would like to improve automated invoicing and worldwide shipping, getting DHL integrated and give people the possibility to create their personal accounts and be the nicest shop in the equine industry. We are still a young company, working all in german, english and french. We are very interested in a long time, kind and friendly relationship without any stress, but reliable reactivity in case of urgency. 
      We are based in Hamburg and near Paris and would prefere to work with somebody who is available to catch up around a table, at least sometimes.
      Contact: mail@cheval-ami.fr or +33 626 22 1000 or +49 170 20 28 215
      Thank you, Have a beautiful day,
      Jeannette
    • By breezer
      Hello all 🙂
      First I would like to say PW is a wonderful CMS and a very helpful and friendly community, which is rare these days.
      I was doing web dev as a hobby while I cared for elderly parents but now it's time to move forward and get serious ( it's getting cold here so I'll be trapped indoors lol ). A while back I created a full featured built in forum system for Evolution CMS which I could rewrite for PW if there is enough interest, although it would have to be a paid module. At the moment I only have a working version on my local wamp, I can put it online next week and send anyone interested a link via PM.
      What do ya'll think?
      I removed the old screenshots as they are not relevant any more 🙂
    • By MoritzLost
      UPDATE: I have published a stable version of this module!
      Discussion thread:
      Github: https://github.com/MoritzLost/TextformatterPageTitleLinks
      ---
      Hello there,
      I'm working on a tiny textformatter module that searches the text for titles of other pages on your site and creates hyperlinks to them. I'm not sure if something like this exists already, but I haven't found anything in the module directory, so I wrote my own solution 🙂
      It's not properly tested yet and is still missing some functionality I would like to implement, so at the moment it should be considered in BETA. Features include limiting the pages that will get searched by template, and adding a custom CSS class to the generated hyperlinks. As I'm writing this I noticed that it will probably include unpublished and hidden pages at the moment, so yeah ... it's still in development alright 😅
      You can download the module from Github:
      https://github.com/MoritzLost/TextformatterPageTitleLinks
      There's some more information in the readme as well.
      Anyway, let me know what you think! I'm happy about any feedback, possible improvements or ideas on how to improve the module. Cheers.
    • By Guy Incognito
      Just wondering what software/approaches others take to the management of their code snippets.
      Relatively new to PW and finding that its logical approach is making it far easier for me to reuse code in projects and encourages me to try and be more organised!
      I've looked at few notes apps that piggyback of Gists - although I'm not sure if Gists is a good idea for private project work seeing as they're never totally private.
    • By louisstephens
      I have been following @bernhard's great tutorial on creating a Dashboard and everything has very easy to understand so far. However, I need to add a select field that a template is using (so users can create a new page from the dashboard), but I am really at a complete lost on how to achieve this. I have been googling, but can't really find anything on the matter.
      $field = $this->modules->get('InputfieldSelect'); $field->name = "Select Manufacturer"; $field->findPagesSelector = "template=basic-page"; //not needed for select field $field->labelFieldName = "title"; $field->name = "Manufacturer Select"; $field->columnWidth = 34; $fieldset->add($field); I have the above code, which was originally an InputfieldPage, but since this is an options field, I have changed it. Has anyone actually gotten a select from a template (and its' values) in a module?