Upgrading 2.5 dev versions

gRegor

In early August I installed the dev branch of ProcessWire 2.5. I'd like to upgrade to the latest dev version. Does that entail just uploading the latest version of the files, then checking the install.sql file and making changes to the database manually?

Unfortunately, I did not make note of which Git commit it was I installed from, though I could probably narrow it down to the date. The footer reports v2.4.10, but I don't think that's correct?

Thanks for any help. I'm new to running dev versions of PW.

He, if I get you right, you have version 2.4.10 installed and want upgrade to 2.4.17 (or the latest version available)?

• you should make a DB-backup
  • rename your current wire folder to something like wire-2410
  • rename your current index.php to index.php.bak or something
  • and then upload only the wire folder of the latest version and the index.php

Regarding changes in the .htaccess file I have compared the 2.4.9 against the 2.4.17 and there were only 2 new lines added (row 150 + 151):

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # Access Restrictions: Protect ProcessWire system files
  # -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Allow screenshot files (for install.php only: this 1 line below may be removed after install)
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(^|/)site-[^/]+/install/[^/]+\.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif)$
  # Block access to any htaccess files
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)\.htaccess$ [NC,OR]

You need to update that manually.

Then you should start the site by log into the admin and also view your site from the frontend.

• Like 3

Good points from Horst. 

On my sites I just replace the /wire/ directory with the new one. Actually I rename the old one to ".wire" (or something like that, just in case I need it back… never have though) then put in the new one. PW automatically takes care of any database changes, so you don't need to worry about that. Also, if it needs an .htaccess or index.php update, PW will tell you the next time you login to the admin superuser account. So I wouldn't worry about replacing anything but /wire/ unless PW starts harassing you about it. The htaccess change Horst found above only matters for the installer, which isn't applicable on a site upgrade. 

• Like 2

Thanks, horst and ryan. Wow, that's a really smooth process. I like the auto DB/htaccess updates. PW continually impresses me!

Is there a way to tell what version the dev branch is at? I don't see tags for the minor version numbers. I guess it doesn't matter for the upgrade process; just curious.

Is there a way to tell what version the dev branch is at? I don't see tags for the minor version numbers. I guess it doesn't matter for the upgrade process; just curious.

If checking physically in GitHub, look in the file /wire/core/ProcessWire.php on this line and the next two. Not sure if it is in other places too...

• Like 1