How many of you use a service like OpenShift?

OrganizedFellow

How many of you use a service like OpenShift?

I ask because I am looking to change my development methods.

I have used it before.

But at the time I didn't see the value in it.

Now with my use of GIT rising and my worrisome failing WAMP server (discussed in a previous post) I need something more robust than just working on my local machine.

Do you use OpenShift? Heroku? Amazon?

If so, which? why?

Give me some ideas on how I can improve my development.

• Like 2

We're neither using one of the three you named. At the moment, we (2 people, sometimes 3) setup a subdomain on our webserver and develop together via FTP.  For large projects, we're using git (via bitbucket) and we commit to the repo and then the server replace the files. This is far from optimal but it works, we can show the progress to clients, work on the same database etc.

I would really like something were I can use GIT as a tool to monitor code changes but have the flexibility of a simple ftp login and where I can show progress to clients. 

• Like 2

I would really like something were I can use GIT as a tool to monitor code changes but have the flexibility of a simple ftp login and where I can show progress to clients. 

Git Hooks and a php file on the server that inits the git pull on calling. So it always stays in sync with your git server version. The database has to be updated manually, at least if you want to keep it simple, but that has to be done with a ftp server as well.

... The database has to be updated manually, at least if you want to keep it simple, but that has to be done with a ftp server as well.

The simplest tool that I have found for updating databases manually between two different installations is adminer.

It's a tiny tiny script much like phpmyadmin. I install it at the root of all my sites.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...