Admin Advanced Search

digitex

I've searched the forums and can't find any similar topic but if this has already been covered, forgive me. :)

In the admin there's a search field in the top right corner. Unfortunately, by default it only searches the body and title fields but since pw allows and encourages developers to create all manner of custom fields to hold various data, the default search, in my experience, is not very useful.

However, once the results are returned, we're presented with a lovely advanced search on the left that allows us to select the fields and templates, among other things, we want to search and then the results are very useful. But it's unavoidably a two stage process which doesn't seem very efficient.

I'd love to see an advanced search button in the top corner beside the default search field that bypasses the first stage and allows you to immediately target the fields and templates you want to focus on.

I can't find a way to do that so I'm hoping it could be on the roadmap for future releases.

If there is a way to do this now, please pass it on.

I'm not sure what PW version you are referencing but in the current dev version the search box makes use of the new Lister. By default the search box will only search 'title' fields, which in my opinion is a sane default. If you want 'advanced' search you can go directly to 'Find' via the top navigation. From there you can comprise a very detailed 'find' by applying filters. So 1-step is available. As an extra shortcut i wouldn't be against an 'advanced find' icon/link to the right of the default searchbox but i'm not sure this is needed.

See screens for details:

search1.png

search2.png

• Like 5

Thanks WillyC. That's good but still if you need to look for different things at different times it's no easier than doing a two stage search.

Also thanks SiNNuT: I wasn't talking about the latest dev branch that's for sure but that is pretty much what I had in mind. Things change in pw faster than I can keep up.