Merging processwire with web based database

MuchDev

Hello everyone, I'm new here but I'm really looking forward to using this amazing tool to help me complete a new project. I am currently developing a site using a web based database named Omeka for a local art gallery. They have thousands of works available in their archives and their current non dynamic website is no longer able to keep up with its content. The cms that will be handling all of the content is amazing for dealing with objects and their associated metadata, but when it comes to its ability to create custom content it just doesn't have enough tools. So after much searching I came upon processwire, and I am really excited. So here is what I am hoping to achieve.

• Omeka handles the objects.
  • Processwire handles the pages within the site that need to be curated.

So what I currently have is several views that include in the body of the website that are pointed to paths in processwire’s directories and an iframe in my admin panel that points to processwire’s admin panel to create the feeling of a plugin.

Where I am now struggling is how I should approach hiding the view’s path from the web, but still allowing them to be included in the rest of the project. Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Processwire!

After reading your post I'm still confused as to what you're trying to do.

If you're using Omeka as the database then why not keep PW separate and pull data from Omeka as required (or even automatically) using their API: http://omeka.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Reference/api/

Or you could maybe create an Omeka plugin that bootstraps PW and doesn't even use the PW admin.

Or my favourite (though I'm biased): create a script that imports all the data from Omeka into Processwire and remove the need to use both systems if Omeka is Goldington back feature-wise. It's relatively easy to do this although I will confess to knowing next to nothing about Omeka.

It's just that whenever I gear Iframes being used in a solution I automatically question why :)

• Like 1

Hey thanks Pete! So the reason for the bad post I am realizing now that I've re read it, is that I accidently hit the back button while I was in the middle of writing it. So let me attempt to explain my goal here. I have been working on developing a theme for omeka that will assist me in creating a full product database for a large (up to 10,000 piece) collection of art works. Omeka was originally created as a system to display digital collections for museums and institutions, therefore each item is able to be tagged and labled, then sorted among these fields. The main feature of Omeka that has drawn me to it is its ability to quickly and easily add new works, this way the people who work there can easily add a new item or large set of items through the simple web interface. Another big draw is that there is a plugin that works directly with Apache Solr. 
   So I suppose to clarify why im approaching the task this way is firstly I am pretty green when it comes to development and the largly undocumented nature of Omeka. Due to these facts I have been trying to accomplish my end goal as simply as I can manage.
  I really like sound of creating a pw plugin / bootstrap though (albiet I have no idea how I would approach doing this). What I have done so far in this direction is create a plugin that displays inside of Omeka's admin panel, and has an iframe pointed to the admin path of processwire. From here I create includes for the paths that are created via processwire. I have thought of doing something like an include on the admin form plugin, but I dont know how anything would react to this. How would you suggest managing the content on processwire from another cms and hiding processwire content from being viewable from the web?