1und1 starter support

schlagi123

It has PHP and one SQL DB. Chances are good. But the offer is very poor compared to other hosting companies. If you don't need 1&1 for a particular reason better check out other offers.

• Like 1

I have very bad experiences with 1 & 1.

I would go here: http://all-inkl.com/ you will pay 1 € more per month but you also have 5x more space, 5 mysql DBs, 3 domain names, etc. Also they have a very friendly and helpful phone and email support. (Phone to a normal local number, not to a high charged number for 1,90 per minute like 1&1)

But in general the 1 & 1 tarif should allow a processwire installation, but only one! (Whereas at all-inkl.com you can install 5 in parrallel in 3 domains and / or subdomains)

I know, that 1&1 starter is a very poor package and I advise a customer against this package, but the customer is king.

Ever since my last experience with 1&1, their infamous “support” and their horrible performance in smaller hosting packages, I have explicity banned certain (German) providers. I will decline new clients which insist on staying with those hosters, and I can only advise to adopt that policy. Most clients don't understand the technical limitations that come with bad hosting, and the result will always fall back on you. It's just not worth it.

• Like 4

that's pretty cool, isn't it?

It's really not so much about “cool”, it's about being able to work the way I think projects should be done. Now, some people might say “Does that really matter, is it really worth it for small clients?” Here's the thing – I don't think “small” clients should be treated any differently. There are some best practices which I think should be applied to any project.

Here's an example: some small hosting plans might not include mod_rewrite or gzip compression. Personally, I think it's ludicrous to implement any web site these days without either one of those.

Especially small clients should get as much value for their investment as possible. Hoster as 1&1 do deliver exactly the opposite. Especially if they manage the site by themself, good support on the hosters side is really key, in my opinion.

• Like 2