Module: TemplateEngineFactory

Wanze

Exception: An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template ("Method Page::event_description does not exist or is not callable in this context") in "search.twig" at line 50. (in /Users/glenn/websites/mysite/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TemplateEngineTwig/TemplateEngineTwig.module line 110)

@gmclelland

Twig sometimes has problems when you try to access a property via magic getter. I consistently use $page->get('my_field') to avoid this issue. So in your example, you could use {{ post.get('event_description') }}.

Thanks @Wanze, I haven't ran into any issues so far, but that's good to know.  The only thing I'm currently stuck on right now is trying to figure out how to get the TwigExtensions module to work with the latest versions of TemplateEngineTwig.  It was working previously before TemplateEngineTwig 1.1.0.  Any help testing is appreciated.

Are you using TwigExtensions library at all in your projects?  If not, don't you need the date functions and text truncating functions?

After I get my sites upgraded to the latest version of TemplateEngineFactory and TemplateEngineTwig, I can start checking into a possible bug I think I see with the new changes to handle Wire404Exception.

Side note:  I really appreciate the work you've done on this module.  To me it is so much cleaner looking at Twig code than looking at a php mixed with html.   I like that in Processwire, I can simply build up my variables in the template to be sent to the view.  That way my views(Twig files) are very simple and contain simple logic only.

Hi @Sipho

Sorry I missed your post. I don't know/use markup regions myself, so it's hard for me to help. Does your code work if you disable the TemplateEngineFactory module? If it works, then somehow markup regions are not respected when your ProcessWire templates are getting rendered by this module. I try to look into this at the end of this week.

Cheers

• Like 1

@Wanze It does work when I disable TemplateEngineFactory (and move my home.php file back into templates/).

I don't really know how ProcessWire renders templates under the hood but it could be that it only renders markup regions of files under templates/.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look at it. You can take a look at this tutorial to get started using markup regions.

Hi @Wanze

I don't know if it's possible in the current state of the module to disable "Global File Template" for a given template file.

I needed this feature in order to work with a REST API endpoint. The problem is when I try to get JSON data from http://my.sites.sek/api, the markup of the global template file is sent.

I forked your module and added an option to ignore the global template file on given template. If it make sense, I can send a pull request.

gft.png.0cee3346e719a4379fd2ff9d5db5f4e6.png

tef.thumb.gif.c676ea77fbb91688138eae7a995315af.gif

Edited by flydev
screencast

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Sipho

MarkupRegions is currently only processed during Page::render(). TemplateEngineProcessWire uses TemplateFile::render() to return the markup, where MarkupRegions are not recognized/populated.

Here are the relevant lines: https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/modules/PageRender.module#L521-L526

It should be possible to integrate this logic into TemplateFile::render via hooks. Unfortunately I do not have much time for ProcessWire these days ?
I'm happy to accept a pull request though :)

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hello @Wanse and all of you,

This plugin is a must, thank you Wanse.

For 2 days I have been searching, I guess I have a pattern problem with my twig templates.

1. My global template is base.twig
  2. Inside I have {% block home %}{% endblock %} and several includes parts.
  3. Nothing from this block is displayed. It works only if I keep my global template file field empty.
  4. In my home.twig I have
{% extends 'base.twig' %}
{% block home %}
<div id="corps"> <div id="titres">
<div id="titre">{{ page.title }}</div>
</div>
 <div class="hr"></div>
<br>
{% block engagement %}{% endblock %}
{% endblock %}

What do you think ?

In my base.twix I have all my html code...

Thank you

Hello @Sten So what exactly is the problem? Don't you get any output? What happens? What is you path to templates in the config of the module? I have /templates/views and with my twig files in this directory everything works fine. Did you choose twig as the template files suffix?
Your code and extend seem to be correct.
The global template file field has to be empty so you can work with extends like you do

• Like 1

@Sten

Your twig templates look fine, the problem is the global template file setting. Just leave that config empty. This is a "global setting" of the TemplateEngineFactory which is supported by all engines, but actually makes no sense in Twig and generally in engines supporting template inheritance. It was introduced by a feature request, but now I think it's more confusing than useful.

Cheers

Hello Jmartsch and Wanze,

It is great to be assisted, thank you ?. I changed my config to have the global file field empty. So I put all my *.twig files in the views directory. I created partials directory for parts included in base.twig.
So I keep home.twig and engagement.twig in views.

in home.twig I have

{% block home %}
<div id="corps"> <div id="titres">
<div id="titre">{{ page.title }}</div>
</div>
 <div class="hr"></div>
<br>
{% block engagement %}{% endblock %}
{% endblock %}

In engagement.twig, I have

{% extends 'home.twig' %}
{% block engagement %}
<p>His cognitis Gallus ut serpens adpetitus telo vel saxo iamque spes extremas opperiens et succurrens saluti suae quavis ratione colligi omnes iussit armatos et cum starent attoniti, districta dentium acie stridens adeste inquit viri fortes mihi periclitanti vobiscum.</p>
<p>Mensarum enim voragines et varias voluptatum inlecebras, ne longius progrediar, praetermitto illuc transiturus quod quidam per ampla spatia urbis subversasque silices sine periculi metu properantes equos velut publicos signatis quod dicitur calceis agitant, familiarium agmina tamquam praedatorios globos post terga trahentes ne Sannione quidem, ut ait comicus, domi relicto. quos imitatae matronae complures opertis capitibus et basternis per latera civitatis cuncta discurrunt.</p>
{% endblock %}

But still engagement block is not displayed.

@Sten In home.twig, the block engagement block is nested inside the home block. In engagement.twig, this is not the case. Does it work if you either move it out of the home block in your parent template; or recreate the nested block structure in engagement.twig.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm trying out TemplateEnginePug, and I get a blank page. I have a empty home.php and a views/home.pug. This one has a very basic paragraph. Still I get a blank page, without any error. Same with TemplateEngineJade. Can't manage to see a byte on screen no matter what.

Tested other template languages (twig, processwire, latte), and it works fine. Config debug is `true`.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi folks!

I just released a new major (2.x) version of the module. Important things first: This version includes backwards compatibility breaks. At the moment, only Twig and the bundled ProcessWire engine work with the 2.0 version. I will now contact maintainers that implemented other engines (Pug, Jade etc.) and ask them to release a 2.x version as well. The 1.x version of the module is still available on the 1.x branch and continues to exist.

So why a version 2.x? Basically it's the same concept, but done in the right way. ?

• The rendering via template engine is now integrated correctly into Page::render(). You can call the render() method on any page, and the module will render it via template engine. In version 1.x, this is only true for the current page.
  • Automatic page rendering is now optional, you can use the module to only integrate a template engine, without hooking into Page::render at all.
  • There are settings to enable/disable the automatic page rendering for templates. Because there might be templates where Page::render should not be replaced.
  • The module provides hooks to customize it for your needs.
  • I wrote a bunch of unit tests and use Travis for CI. Problems like "the 404 page is not displayed if a Wire404Exception is thrown in a controller" are now tested properly.

I am writing a documentation on everything, you can read it here: https://github.com/wanze/TemplateEngineFactory/blob/master/DOCUMENTATION.md

One important part is how to update from 1.x to 2.x. Depending on the feature usage of the module, this might involve some manual update steps, because the public API changed. If you try to update, please let me know about any issues you are encountering, so that we can add them to the documentation. Don't worry, you do not have to update, as the 1.x version continues to exist. For a new project, definitely start with 2.x!

Last but not least, modules providing template engines must be updated too, but this should be quite easy. For Twig, I decided to support installations only via Composer, and I think that this should be the way to go for the other modules. 3rd party dependencies must be manageable in a reliable way, and Composer is the right tool for this job.

Cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tiefenbacher_bluetomato said:

Nice! will you upgrade TemplateEngineSmarty also soon?

Actually I wanted to ask you if you would like to develop the 2.x version of TemplateEngineSmarty, and if you like, maintain the project? The implementation itself is really easy, you can basically copy + past from Twig and tweak/change things for Smarty. I only use Twig these days, so I might miss some useful/important stuff for Smarty. What do you think? ?

22 hours ago, Wanze said:

Actually I wanted to ask you if you would like to develop the 2.x version of TemplateEngineSmarty, and if you like, maintain the project? The implementation itself is really easy, you can basically copy + past from Twig and tweak/change things for Smarty. I only use Twig these days, so I might miss some useful/important stuff for Smarty. What do you think? ?

Sure we can do that ? Do you want to transfer the repo to our account: https://github.com/blue-tomato ?

You can write me also via email for the details: markus.tiefenbacher {at} blue-tomato.com

Edited by tiefenbacher_bluetomato

• 5 months later...