Module: TemplateEngineFactory

Wanze

Updated the module to version 1.1.0 which adds the following features:

• Multiple data can be passed to the template engine via setArray() (alias: setMultiple())
  • The module now provides a second API variable $factory returning the singleton instance of the TemplateEngineFactory, which can be used to load partial views and chunks
  • Chunks: Reusable code snippets that consist of a PHP file containing the logic and a template (view) to render the output (see https://github.com/wanze/TemplateEngineFactory#chunks)

Thanks @justb3a for the contributions! Twig and Smarty modules were updated as well, shipping with the newest version of Twig/Smarty.

I tested the module on the latest ProcessWire 2.7 and 3.x and everything worked fine. Let me know if you find any issues!

Cheers

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

I am newbie on Processwire an I am using your module with smarty renderer. It works good but I have a difficulty.

My Processwire page tree :

1. Home (template = home.tpl)
    1. page 1 (template = basic_page.tpl)
    2. special page (template = special.tpl)

I used an extended template 'template.tpl' in special.tpl and a global controller _init.php width the nav definition.

How to do that : if I go to http://mywebsite.com/ (then get home.tpl rendering), I would like to have the render result from "special page" with "special.tpl".

Sorry for my poor english language ;-)

Thx in advance

Besen

Hi Besen,

So if you visit the homepage of your website, you basically want to display the same as when you visit your special page? Why not use your special page as homepage (thus moving controller logic from site/templates/special.php to site/templates/home.php) and also the smarty template?

Otherwise you could try the following:

1. Rename home.tpl to home.tpl.temp - The factory won't attach hooks to delegate the rendering to smarty, as no template is found
  2. In your site/templates/home.php controller add the following: echo $pages->get('/special-page/')->render();

I'm not sure if it works though...

Cheers

I keep getting a cache error. I can delete cache then page loads then won't load again as new cache is created. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Parse Error: syntax error, unexpected ',' (line 44 of /home4/subtlem2/public_html/vocalcoach.rede-commerce.com/site/assets/cache/TemplateEngineTwig_compile/66/664c8e217f20e0ab2fed758d06f848fe2e2306d2a4af4cd131d4155af1b015e0.php)

This error message was shown because: site is in debug mode. ($config->debug = true; => /site/config.php). Error has been logged.

@SubMon I assume you are using ProcessWire 3.x? Check out this comment: 

You need to disable the FileCompiler for your twig templates. There's currently no way for the module to tell the compiler to ignore these files, so at the moment this seems like the only solution. However, there is a pull request open to support this and I hope it's getting integrated soon.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello

When I'm using this code in a controller, the prepend file (_init.php) is not running.

<?php
// ======= basic-page.php =======
// SET ACTIVE NAV (used by _init.php prepend file
$view->set('menuActive', $page->name);

// DETECT IF PORTFOLIO
if ($page->children->get('template=portfolio')) {
  $view = $factory->load('portfolio', true); // Load the main markup
}
 ?>

How can I set the prepend file running ?

Thanks in advance

@Besen

The _init.php file isn't processed when loading views. Basically this file is only loaded by ProcessWire when you load a ProcessWire template file (controller). So in the current situation, _init.php was called before your basic-page.php controller was loaded.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, could you elaborate a bit? Do you want to render a portfolio in your current basic-page template?

In this case you can make use of partial templates or chunks.

Eg:

$view->set('menuActive', $page->name);
$portfolio = $page->children->get('template=portfolio');
$portfolio_partial = $factory->load('partials/portfolio');
$portfolio->set('title', $portfolio->title);
$portfolio->set('body', $portfolio->body);
$view->set('portfolio', $portfolio->render());

Hope this helps!

Cheers

• 7 months later...

I'm reposting this from Github - I have the same problem:

https://github.com/wanze/TemplateEngineFactory/issues/6

I'm setting my template file based on a condition and use $view->setFilename.

E.g.
my-tempalte/json.tpl
my-template/html.tpl

if($format == 'json') {
$view->setFilename('my-tempalte/json.tpl');
} else {
$view->setFilename('my-tempalte/html.tpl');
}

Because of this reason I don't need an .tpl file for each Processwire template.
E.g. If I have in Processwire a tempalte called "home", I have to add an emtpy views/home.tpl file to make smarty work for me. If not i would get an empty white page - also if I do $view->setFilename('my-tempalte/json.tpl');

I don't want to blow up my views folder with so much empty files.

Is there a way to avoid this when using $view->setFilename?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'd like to know how to set the layout block logic for the ProcessWire side (the default one) of the templates. That is, twig uses {% block content %}, Jade uses block content, PW... ?

Also, is there documentation of the module for using PW as the main language? I checked the forums but found none...

Thank you very much

3 hours ago, Manaus said:

Hello, I'd like to know how to set the layout block logic for the ProcessWire side (the default one) of the templates. That is, twig uses {% block content %}, Jade uses block content, PW... ?

Also, is there documentation of the module for using PW as the main language? I checked the forums but found none...

Thank you very much

This block thingy are features of the template engines (twig, smarty, jade...). ProcessWire does not offer this, you may look at regions, though I've never used them. This module does not implement any new features, it just serves to connect different template engines to ProcessWire and to use them via a common interface.

If you use ProcessWire as template engine, you get all the features of ProcessWire templates: http://processwire.com/api/templates/

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used a simple TemplateFile extension to build a similar module which works fine with ajax (load current page / page part without global layout).

The module is small and simple: 
https://bitbucket.org/pwFoo/templatefilehelper/src/060a9f5129e6eca65c75885572aa0c23ed83e591/TemplateFileHelper.module?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default

But maybe it would be better to move to your TemplateEngineFactory because it's well written and much more flexible. I think it would be better to have one base instead of different modules with the same goal. ;)

1. TemplateEngineFactory supports global template / layout. So it outputs the current page inside of a global layout template. 
    Is it possible to skip that for ajax usage? Just output the current page part if it was a ajax call?
  2. Add cache feature to Processwire engine should be easy with WireCache? Or wouldn't it be a good option?
  3. At the moment it isn't needed. What's about multi lang and caching)?
  4. scripts / styles in global or current page context? For example to handle just current page scripts and styles if requested by a ajax call.

Hi Wanze,

first of all a big thank you for this great module which I stumbled upon a few days ago.

I also have some questions regarding the flexibility of TemplateEngineFactory. Let me explain what I was trying to achieve (using Smarty, but I think this would apply to other template engines as well):

In a page of mine, there is a specific template whose output should be processed by a text filter before sending to the client browser. Also the processed output should be cached a specific amount of time (just output of pages based on this specific template).

What I tried:

1. attach the text filter via a new module and a hook to Page::render(). With this approach I have to be careful to just apply the filter to the one specific type of pages and also (as the filter is CPU-intensive and the hook is executed at every page view) it does not work well with caching.
  2. attach the text filter via a hook to TemplateEngineSmarty::initSmarty(). Here I also have to be careful to not apply the filter to the wrong pages, caching with Smarty works but only with one global cache timeout config value. This is not acceptable for me because this would also affect pages based on other templates.

I then digged a bit in the source code of the module and had the following idea:

Why not provide a so-called 'direct' mode, globally enabled/disabled via module configuration. This direct mode does not attach the hook to Page::render() and lets the user choose when to output the markup via a method like $view->renderAndPrint(). Wouldn't ths also give back the possibility to control caching time per template via the template caching configuration? Also filters could be added right in the template source file before calling $view->renderAndPrint().

I am not sure If I thought this through entirely and not missed something and would appreciate any feedback on my suggestion.

Thank you in advance,

Menz

• 5 months later...

Hi @Menz

Sorry for my late response, I was traveling a longer time while you were posting this. I would be interested if you could solve it using the module? There is another approach which let's you control the caching:

1. Do not create a corresponding smarty template so that the module does not attach the render hook. This means that the controller aka regular ProcessWire template will work just normal. Let's call this template filter_response.php.

2. The filter_response.php can still use the factory to create the markup via Smarty but at the same time control the caching via WireCache.

Something like this (inside site/templates/filter_response.php)

if ($cached = $cache->getFor('my_namespace', $page->id) {
  echo $cached;
} else {
  $tpl = $factory->load('filetered_response_template');
  $tpl->page = $page;
  $output = $tpl->render();
  $output = filter_output($output);
  $cache->setFor('my_namespace', $page->id, $output);
  echo $output;
}

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loving this module so far but I am having trouble using markup regions.

I have successfully got it to output markup using the ProcessWire template engine but can't figure out how to use markup regions. I have enabled

$config->useMarkupRegions = true;

and have the following files

includes/_main.php

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <title><?=$page->title?></title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <div id='content'>
      <h1 id='headline'><?=$page->title?></h1>
      <div id='bodycopy'>
        <?=$page->body?>
      </div>
    </div>
    <aside id='sidebar'>
      <p>Welcome!</p>
    </aside>
    <footer id='footer'>
      <p>Copyright 2017</p>
    </footer>
  </body>
</html>

views/home.php

<aside id='sidebar'>
  <p>Hello from home</p>
</aside>

<?php include('../includes/_main.php')?>

as per the tutorial linked above. (I am not using any MVC features because I was trying to debug it)

I'm not a huge fan of Twig but I am a fan of MVC so if anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two templates:

1. basic-page
    1. title
    2. body
  2. calendar-posting
    1. title
    2. event_description

I'm trying to build a search page that can search for text in any of those fields.  Right now my selector looks like "title|body|event_description*=support, limit=3".  It correctly returns a Page Array when I perform a search.

I can output the page's title just fine, but the problem happens when I try to output the event_description field.  I get the following error:

User Error

Exception: An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template ("Method Page::event_description does not exist or is not callable in this context") in "search.twig" at line 50. (in /Users/glenn/websites/mysite/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TemplateEngineTwig/TemplateEngineTwig.module line 110)

Note: I am using the TemplateEngineTwig and TemplateEngineFactory modules.

In my search.twig

{% for post in paginated_items  %}
              <article class="card post">
                <div class="card-section">
                  <h3>
                    <a href="{{ post.url }}" title="{{ post.title }}">{{ post.title }}</a>
                  </h3>
                  <div class="meta">
                    <p>{% if post.editable() %}
                      <a href="{{ config.urls('admin') }}page/edit/?id={{ post.id }}">Edit</a>
                    {% endif %}
                    </p>
                  </div>

{% if post.event_description %}
                    <div class="post-content">{{ post.event_description|striptags('<style>')|truncate(440, false, "...") }}
                      <a class="read-more" href="{{ post.url }}" title="{{ post.title }}">{{ 'Read More' }}</a>
                    </div>
                  {% endif %}

</div><!-- card-section -->
              </article>
{% endfor %}

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the cause?

If the returned PageArray from my find returns two items, I should be able to access and output any of those page's fields right?