Symphony Forum and PW

GuruMeditation

Hi all,

I know I have waffled on about a forum module etc before, but I really am determined to stick with PW for both my main site and an integrated and basic forum.

I have now found an example of the sort of forum I wish to create. Have a look at the Symphony forum, it's simple and integrated. This is exactly what I'm after.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if we strip it right back to the basics, wouldn't this be achievable with permissions and foreach loops for the categories, threads etc? I already have most of the code in place for extended profiles. Deleting threads (pages), moving them, renaming them and editing them will be simple enough thanks to the power of the PW API. Posting should be easy enough if I use Textile etc. Banning members shouldn't be a problem as I could cross-reference IP addresses, e-mails etc.

Am I on the right track with this, or do I just need to give up?

Thanks. :undecided:

• Like 1

I am sure it is achievable, but most people here would argue it's not worth the effort. Most dedicated forum software out there has been developed over several years by teams of people. It is a lot of work to replicate all the functionality.

But, if you want something simple in PW, if you haven't seen it, here is a very basic but functional forum module from apeisa:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/discussions/

It might provide a good starting point for you.

• Like 1

I think it would make sense to build the components of a forum in such a way that as many of them as possible could be used in other applications. Designing them in a way that you can use them to build a forum, but also other things. This would mean a broader developer audience and more contributors.

I am repeating myself from another thread :)

I have the feeling that actually starting from strong spam prevention (Akismet + SFS etc) might be good, because then you could do public experiments and add more functionality without having to fight spam fires.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...