Hi, new version is here, as I promised. It's currently on the dev branch: https://github.com/uiii/ProcessWire-FieldtypePDF/tree/dev. The readme is updated so everything should be clear. It contains tests and they successfully passed for PW 2.4, 2.5. If you can try the module, I'd be glad to hear your opinions and suggestions.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, my hosting provider said they couldn't update GS to 9.x...

Thanks for the update - will check it out as soon as I can. :)

I'm trying this (dev) on PW 2.6 and it works fine so far but I'm not sure why it's using Image field ... like it has the pdf file but showing an image that in PW 2.6 has a dialog for cropping etc. The file basename is a link that opens a modal where there's an error:

TemplateFile: Field file_pdf is not an instance of FieldtypeImage<pre>#0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Modules.php(441): ProcessPageEditImageSelect->init() #1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Modules.php(1012): Modules->initModule(Object(ProcessPageEditImageSelect), false) #2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Modules.php(919): Modules->getModule('ProcessPageEdit...') #3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/ProcessController.php(135): Modules->get('ProcessPageEdit...') #4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/ProcessController.php(209): ProcessController->getProcess() #5 [internal function]: ProcessController->___execute() #6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #7 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #8 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/admin.php(93): Wire->__call('execute', Array) #9 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/admin.php(93): ProcessController->execute() #10 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault/controller.php(13): require('/Applications/M...') #11 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/site/templates/admin.php(15): require('/Applications/M...') #12 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/TemplateFile.php(169): require('/Applications/M...') #13 [internal function]: TemplateFile->___render() #14 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #15 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #16 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/PageRender.module(385): Wire->__call('render', Array) #17 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/PageRender.module(385): TemplateFile->render() #18 [internal function]: PageRender->___renderPage(Object(HookEvent)) #19 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #20 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('renderPage', Array) #21 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(409): Wire->__call('renderPage', Array) #22 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(409): PageRender->renderPage(Object(HookEvent)) #23 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #24 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(187): Wire->__call('render', Array) #25 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(187): Page->render() #26 [internal function]: ProcessPageView->___execute(true) #27 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #28 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #29 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/index.php(241): Wire->__call('execute', Array) #30 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/index.php(241): ProcessPageView->execute(true) #31 {main}</pre>

When creating the PDF field I'm seeing configurations same like an image field, but it's not. I'm not sure this is the right direction of how this should work.

Because I'm not able to download/open the PDF itself in the admin like I expect when clicking on the basename. Maybe I get it wrong, but it's not only about creating an image of a pdf but also having the pdf itself. So there maybe the best way is to introduce your own "renderItem()" method again instead of using the parent method.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't tried the PW 2.6 yet. The reason why I used image inputfield is to render the PDF thumbnails exactly the same way as images. But maybe you are right, I should have used my own render method. I'll check it out.

• Like 1

DEV branch is updated, should be PW 2.6 compatible now. And InputfieldImage is not parent of InputfieldPDF anymore. Check it out.

• Like 1

Not sure why this worked, but I had to modify the ImageMagick code in PagePDF.php a bit to get it working on GoDaddy shared hosting (I know, I know...):

$imagick = new Imagick($this->filename . "[0]");
$imagick->setResolution(300, 300);
$imagick->setOption('pdf:use-cropbox', 'true');
//$imagick->setColorspace(Imagick::COLORSPACE_RGB);
//$imagick->readimage($this->filename . "[0]");
$imagick->setImageFormat('png');
$imagick->scaleImage($width, $height);
$imagick->writeImage($filename);

I believe it has to do with GoDaddy running old versions of IM and GhostScript, but I'm not certain.

Hi @evan,
yes, it's probably because of the old version of IM and GS. What was the problem exactly (error message, ...), can you post it here? I also find that setColorspace method is supported since IM version 6.5.7, so I should change the code to reflect that. What is the problem with readImage method? Will it work if you comment only setColorspace?

It's been a while since I did this, but I think you will have problems with the change to loading the image at the start rather than using readImage. The problem is with setResolution - this needs to happen before the image is read. The image is rasterized as soon as it is read, so setting the resolution afterwards can result in a poorer quality image.

The setColorspace() method doesn't exist on my server, as IM is too old (ImageMagick 6.5.4-7):

Error: 	Call to undefined method Imagick::setColorspace() (line 16 of /path/to/public_html/site/modules/FieldtypePDF/PagePDF.php)

When I use readFile(), I get the following error (not the real path, obviously):

- Postscript delegate failed `/path/to/file.pdf': No such file or directory @ pdf.c/ReadPDFImage/611

From what I read this is common if you're using a pre-9.x version of GhostScript (server has 8.70).

I haven't seen any visible quality issues with declaring the image with the Imagick object, but I also haven't been looking too carefully -- mostly glad to get it working at all.

Hi, I've been doing some research and testing. But I don't find a way to get it properly working on older versions of ghostscript. But @evan's solution works, it produces low quality images and it's properties cannot be affected because the pdf is read on the Imagick object creating. The readImage method always throws the mentioned exception. Despite of this it is useful where you cannot update GS or IM (e.g. shared hosting). So I added it to the module as fallback mode. It can be turned on in the module's settings. See DEV branch.

Any chance to update this module for 2.5+? Aka making the dev to the new master? 

Hi, sorry I din't do that yet. I stucked, because I wanted to test it properly first. I wanted to make automated unit tests, but in processwire it isn't (maybe wasn't) so easy, I wanted to use wireshell to help with it, but somehow I moved my activity somewhere else. I can merge the branches, but I would like to have some feedback if it is working correctly or not. Did you try it? I've tried it in PW 2.5 and 2.6 and it looks it's working, but I'm not sure about PW 2.7+. If you can test it a give me feedback I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hi Richard,

I've tried out this module on version 2.6 and it works nicely! 

I've tried installing it in version 3.0 and had to restore the database from backup: I got error messages and couldn't reach the PDF-field anymore. 

The information about compatibility is misleading: on the module page it says compatible with version 3.0, but later on it's stated <3.0.

Too bad I can't used it now, I liked it a lot!

Thanks.

Hi lenoir,

There is a version compatible with 3.0, it is in devns branch, it is separated because i didn't find a way to have one codebase compatible with PW 2.x and 3.x (I can tell you more if you want).

What happend with your pdf files in 3.0? Why did you have to restore the database? Should I fix something?

Cheers,
Richard

• Like 2

Finally I've found out how to support PW 2.x and PW 3.x with one codebase. So here is a new version 1.1.2 compatible with PW 2.5+. I updated the tests as well, turned the script which runs tests against multiple versions of ProcessWire into standalone tool PW-Test.

• Like 4

@ICF Church Hi, I'm trying to solve your issue, but I can't reproduce the error. What version of PHP are you using? During module installation there is a step where the `use` statemenents in source files under FieldtypePDF folder are prefixed with `Processwire\' namespace if PW 3.x detected. Could you please examine what's wrong? Look into this method https://github.com/uiii/ProcessWire-FieldtypePDF/blob/d11ff962d520782fa25215f5ce606886773a5a44/FieldtypePDF.module#L232. Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoritzLost
      Process Cache Control
      This module provides a simple solution to clearing all your cache layers at once, and an extensible interface to perform various cache-related actions.
      The simple motivation behind this module was that I was tired of manually clearing caches in several places after deploying a change on a live site. The basic purpose of this module is a simple Clear all caches link in the Setup menu which clears out all caches, no matter where they hide. You can customize what exactly the module does through it's configuration menu:
      Expire or delete all cache entries in the database, or selectively clear caches by namespace ($cache API) Clear the the template render cache. Clear out specific folders inside your site's cache directory (/site/assets/cache) Clear the ProCache page render cache (if your site is using ProCache) Refresh version strings for static assets to bust client-side browser caches (this requires some setup, see the full documentation for details). This is the basic function of the module. However, you can also add different cache management action through the API and execute them through the module's interface. For this advanced usage, the module provides:
      An interface to see all available cache actions and execute them. A system log and logging output on the module page to see verify what the module is doing. A CacheControlTools class with utility functions to clear out different caches. An API to add cache actions, execute them programmatically and even modify the default action. Permission management, allowing you granular control over which user roles can execute which actions. The complete documentation can be found in the module's README.
      Plans for improvements
      If there is some interest in this, I plan to expand this to a more general cache management solution. I particular, I would like to add additional cache actions. Some ideas that came to mind:
      Warming up the template render cache for publicly accessible pages. Removing all active user sessions. Let me know if you have more suggestions!
      Links
      https://github.com/MoritzLost/ProcessCacheControl ProcessCacheControl in the Module directory CHANGELOG in the repository Screenshots

• By Macrura
      PrevNextTabs Module
      Github: https://github.com/outflux3/PrevNextTabs
      Processwire helper modules for adding page navigation within the editor.
      Overview
      This is a very simple module that adds Previous and Next links inline with the tabs on the page editor. Hovering over the tab shows the title of the previous or next page (using the admin's built in jqueryUI tooltips.)
      Usage
      This module is typically used during development where you or your editors need to traverse through pages for the purpose of proofing, flagging and/or commenting. Rather than returning to the page tree or lister, they can navigate with these links.
      Warnings
      If you are using PW version 2.6.1 or later, the system will prevent you from leaving the page if you have unsaved edits.
      For earlier versions, to avoid accidentally losing changes made to a page that might occur if a user accidentally clicks on one of these, make sure to have the Form Save Reminder module installed.
      http://modules.processwire.com/modules/prev-next-tabs/
    • By Gadgetto
      SnipWire - Snipcart integration for ProcessWire
      Snipcart is a powerful 3rd party, developer-first HTML/JavaScript shopping cart platform. SnipWire is the missing link between Snipcart and the content management framework ProcessWire.
      With SnipWire, you can quickly turn any ProcessWire site into a Snipcart online shop. The SnipWire plugin helps you to get your store up and running in no time. Detailed knowledge of the Snipcart system is not required.
      SnipWire is free and open source licensed under Mozilla Public License 2.0! A lot of work and effort has gone into development. It would be nice if you could donate an amount to support further development:

Status update links (inside this thread) for SnipWire development
      2020-03-21 -- SnipWire 0.8.5 (beta) released! Improves SnipWires webhooks interface and provides some other fixes and additions 2020-03-03 -- SnipWire 0.8.4 (beta) released! Improves compatibility for Windows based Systems. 2020-03-01 -- SnipWire 0.8.3 (beta) released! The installation and uninstallation process has been heavily revised. 2020-02-08 -- SnipWire 0.8.2 (beta) released! Added a feature to change the cart and catalogue currency by GET, POST or SESSION param 2020-02-03 -- SnipWire 0.8.1 (beta) released! All custom classes moved into their own namespaces. 2020-02-01 -- SnipWire is now available via ProcessWire's module directory! 2020-01-30 -- SnipWire 0.8.0 (beta) first public release! (module just submitted to the PW modules directory) 2020-01-28 -- added Custom Order Fields feature (first SnipWire release version is near!) 2020-01-21 -- Snipcart v3 - when will the new cart system be implemented? 2020-01-19 -- integrated taxes provider finished (+ very flexible shipping taxes handling) 2020-01-14 -- new date range picker, discount editor, order notifiactions, order statuses, and more ... 2019-11-15 -- orders filter, order details, download + resend invoices, refunds 2019-10-18 -- list filters, REST API improvements, new docs platform, and more ... 2019-08-08 -- dashboard interface, currency selector, managing Orders, Customers and Products, Added a WireTabs, refinded caching behavior 2019-06-15 -- taxes provider, shop templates update, multiCURL implementation, and more ... 2019-06-02 -- FieldtypeSnipWireTaxSelector 2019-05-25 -- SnipWire will be free and open source Plugin Key Features
      Fast and simple store setup Full integration of the Snipcart dashboard into the ProcessWire backend (no need to leave the ProcessWire admin area) Browse and manage orders, customers, discounts, abandoned carts, and more Multi currency support Custom order and cart fields Process refunds and send customer notifications from within the ProcessWire backend Process Abandoned Carts + sending messages to customers from within the ProcessWire backend Complete Snipcart webhooks integration (all events are hookable via ProcessWire hooks) Integrated taxes provider (which is more flexible then Snipcart own provider) Useful Links
      SnipWire in PW modules directory SnipWire Docs (please note that the documentation is a work in progress) SnipWire @GitHub (feature requests and suggestions for improvement are welcome - I also accept pull requests) Snipcart Website  
      ---- INITIAL POST FROM 2019-05-25 ----

• By jonatan
      collapsedNoLocked field not showing
      Hi all, ☺️
      I'm a 21 years old 👨‍🦱, danish 🇩🇰, hobby-designer-and-web-stuff-maker and very excited and eager processwire beginner, or "noob" 🐣 if you wish.
      So far I've been fascinated by the very satisfyingly simple and yet powerfull magic ✨ of PW (once you get the hang of it) and the awesome feeling of the strong PW community 🦄🌈☀️❤️! The huge work done by @ryan and all of the other amazing PW people is just so inspiring! I actually really have a hard time understanding why Processwire isn't the most used CMS in the world... or at least just a way more commonly known one!

But now I've encountered a small bump on the road and I'd lovingly appreciate if one of you lovely PW forum members could maybe help me out!
      ❓Problem:
      So I have a problem with the collapsed-constant: https://processwire.com/api/ref/inputfield/#pwapi-methods-collapsed-constants 
      - It's not showing my field when I apply it.
      (I've funnily enough found this old git pull from 2014 which documents the "Locked" state being added as a field -> input -> visibility option: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/pull/457 – it also shows the relevant code implementations to the core) 

📝 What I wish to do:
       is to 👀 display some data from a 📦 module (InstagramBasicDisplayApi) in the ⌨️ page editor when editing a page ("About me") using the template (About.php) - So the only possible way to do that as far as for what I've been able to come up with with my restricted PW (end eh.. php) –knowledge was to add a custom field type to the (About.php) template...
      I've set up a custom field using https://modules.processwire.com/modules/mystique/ :
      site/modules/configs/Mystique.php:
      <?php namespace ProcessWire; $modules = wire("modules"); $instagram = $modules->get("InstagramBasicDisplayApi"); $data = array('username'=>''); $account = $instagram->getUserAccount($data["username"]); $username = isset($account["username"]) ? $account["username"] : ""; $at_instausername = "@" . $username; /** * Resource : Instagram account */ return [ 'title' => __('Instagram account'), 'fields' => [ 'window_title' => [ 'label' => __(' '), 'type' => Mystique::TEXT, // or InputfieldText 'useLanguages' => true, 'collapsed' => '0', 'placeholder' => __($at_instausername), ] ] ]; - Basically:
      I'm getting the instagram-username, pulling it from the module "InstagramBasicDisplayApi",  And then I'm using it as the 'placeholder' value for the field, resulting in this:  - Which is actually what I want... almost...
      – The thing is, I would like it to be locked, so that it's not possible to overwrite the 'placeholder' value, but so that the inputfield actually does not take any input but just informatively displays the data...
      so what I do is that I just change 'collapsed' to '7' = 'collapsedNoLocked':
      'collapsed' => '7', , right, and that would be it?
      But unfortunately no...
      When I do I get this:

- I can't figure out why? I'd supposed that the 'placeholder' value would just show, but non-editable?
      A "workaround" is to just set it to back to 0, then manually type in "@sasha_lindegaard" and then press save, and then set it to 7, and I have what I want:

- But that's not really what I wish, as it displays the data (the instagram username) statically (from what I've typed into the field and have saved) and not dynamically (from the instagram module database) as wished for...
      – also, it's still collapsable? Why so?... 🤔

Any ideas for how I might get my "INSTAGRAM" field to display the username from the instagram module's database dynamically, not as editable placeholder text in a editable/open input field but just as non-editable/locked text?
      I hope that I've made my problem clear enough but if I've failed to provide enough info please don't hesitate to request for more! 🙂 
      Thanks a thousand times in advance!
      All the best,
      Jonatan R.