ProcessWire ProFields: Table

ryan

Introducing ProcessWire ProFields: Table – it lets you literally define your own Fieldtype! This is one of the most exciting ProFields and it's something very different than any other Fieldtypes. I think it is best described by this screencast (be sure your sound is on): 

Special thanks to Joss for his great voiceover on this screencast. Please view the video at 720p and full screen if possible.

Read more about the Table Field

Table is part of the ProcessWire ProFields package now available for purchase in the ProcessWire store.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

When is this available?  I'm too excited.  Joss needs to re-record the other videos.

Went to look at the other post and saw it was for sale and already purchased my copy!  It's Christmas!!!

Edited by cstevensjr
  • Like 2

It's possible to use TextLanguage Fields in Table definition?

This is not possible, as fields in the Table represent literal fields in a MySQL database table, not ProcessWire fieldtypes. For instance, when you define a radio buttons or select input in your table, you are literally defining a MySQL ENUM field. And when you define a checkboxes input, you are literally defining a MySQL SET field. In this sense, the Table field is incredibly efficient and fast, as there's really no middle layer between your content and the database table. However, if you need multi-language text fields, you'd want the flexibility of either Repeaters, or the new PageTable field (now available for free on the dev branch). 

When is this available?  I'm too excited.  Joss needs to re-record the other videos.

All the ProFields are available as of this morning in the ProcessWire store.

I agree regarding Joss's voiceover. He heard my other pirate voiceovers and basically said: "step aside son, let me show you how this is done." I wrote a rough script and sent it to him. 30 minutes later, he replied with a voiceover that had everything in the script but majorly improved and with SO much more good stuff. All the funny lines are all Joss. My favorite is the "chuck 'em overboard to let the porpoises nibble on 'em." :) 

• Like 4

Looks very useful.

I just looked at the terms and saw the following

'If you are purchasing ProFields on behalf of a particular client (rather than yourself), then the license extends only to the client.'

Can you clarify what this means? Can I not use them when building clients sites with my licence?

'If you are purchasing ProFields on behalf of a particular client (rather than yourself), then the license extends only to the client.'

Can you clarify what this means? Can I not use them when building clients sites with my licence?

Sorry, I will try to word that better. What it means is that that the license to create new installations goes to the purchaser. If it's purchased on a client's credit card, then they are the purchaser. If you pay for it, then you are the purchaser. The purchaser can put it on any sites that they design/develop (whether for themselves or their clients). If you want to mark it up and charge the client for it, that's fine. It's just that when you buy a product in the store, you are buying support of the product, so we have to know who is the person that gets support. That's all it is. 

• Like 3

The contents of what ProFields contains may change over time. New modules may be occasionally added to the ProFields package. If within your support and upgrades period, those modules will be free for you to download. As new modules are added to ProFields, existing modules may be released publicly (open source/free). However, the modules will always be supported through the ProFields support board.

Really pleased to see this on the product page.

• Like 1

it lets you literally define your own Fieldtype!

When you purchase ProFields, you get all 4 modules and you can use them on as many sites as you like, for as long as you like!

Wow, I like those 2 lines.

• Like 2

Wow, I like those 2 lines.

ProFields just comes in 1 edition, unlike FormBuilder and ProCache which come in either: Single, Professional, Developer or Agency editions. The ProFields edition is the equivalent of the Developer edition of FormBuilder and ProCache, in that you can use it in as many sites as you develop, for as long as you want to. I figured there wasn't much point to having individual site licenses with a multi-module package because chances are you won't use them all together on one site. It's more likely that folks will use one or some of the ProFields on some sites, and others on other sites. We want it to be a toolbox you've always got available to you when you need it. 

• Like 8

tobaco: nope, but you can use new PageTable for that (that's in core - dev branch). It will be much faster than repeater, since it doesn't have to load all the information to a single page.

• Like 3