Quill - An Open Source Rich Text Editor with an API

Beluga

Looks promising, so lets see how the modules participation goes. I like how you can create the UI with simple HTML instead of setting millions of options which then render the HTML UI via JS in other RTE solutions.

• Like 1

About those web site text editors and real life situations:

Many clients ask me for an editor that keeps the formatting of the text they copy and paste.

Examples of this are texts clients already have from their own products, catalogs, brochures,

manuals, etc. etc. Many times the layout and formatting gets lost when pasting this text inside

CKeditor, Tinymce and those little brothers and layout and formatting gets lost. Things like

bullets, tabs, line spacing, columns, etc. etc. Then they have to re-edit everything all over again

until it looks the same and lose a lot of time. Any solution for this ?

• Like 1

Things like bullets, bold, italics etc should copy across just fine. A standard paste in TinyMCE preserves these. There is also the Paste from Word option installed by default with CKEditor.

In my opinion you don't want line spacing to copy across - you want it to match your sites css line-height. As for columns, that is another case where I don't think it is appropriate to copy across - this should be controlled by your site's markup.

I think this is another case where the client needs to be educated that duplicating an exact layout from a Word document is actually not a good thing in most cases - their site would start looking like a jumbled mess and varying layouts very quickly.

• Like 3

We´ll right now I have a client with hundreds of product labels glued on small bottles that his company sells.

They have all the text and label layouts inside illustrator.

The same bottles are on his website and of course he wants the labels shown next to his bottles to inform

visitors about what is inside his bottles.

It is a huge lost of time for this client not being able to copy and paste his labels text and layout directly

in his website text editor.

I'd be curious to see some examples of the different label layouts. I would think if I was selling products I would have a standard label layout format for all products. It sounds like it might even be better to have a few different fields for each product, like:

Name

Ingredients

Usage

Expiry date

Just guessing what might be relevant of course, but the key thing with have the separate fields is that you can ensure a professional looking site by making sure the layout is identical for each product and quickly adjust them all at once through html/css. The way they want things now, it would be a nightmare to make any batch changes to the look of the labels.

Of course I might not be fully understanding the requirements, in which case I am sorry - nothing to see here :)

• Like 1

I don´t think product text and layout should be part of the website layout. That part should be handed over

to the client and the type of products he has. I already see webshops solving these problems with

editable blocks inside the website layout.

hmm..an example would be interesting

thought about importing from csv into different fields as adrian mentioned

but when those texts are only in illustrator?! I have no idea how to get them out there as plain text?

anyway..when you say this is not the way to go...

Actually I missed the bit about the text and layout being in Illustrator - I assumed Word. I am guessing that is why the bullets and other simple formatting are not importing correctly. You could probably export to svg and if you don't need to support legacy browsers, you could display the svg labels on the site. Apparently Google indexes text in SVGs. I don't honestly think this is a good idea - copying/pasting and reformatting will be better, but just thought I'd thrown it out there :)

@pwired this is a very specific need, and needs to be addressed like so. It will never be possible to have formatting compatibility for every software out there, right? As Adrian said, SVG would be an option, but will you have the right fonts for every label, and if so, is it worth the overhead of loading them all? I think in your case, I would have the raw text (not formatted at all, and no layout) and a picture of the label.

• Like 3

If you use svg, make sure the text is NOT converted to outlines, or the image will be a massive size. Best way is probably to embed the font with the subsetting preference "Only Glyphs Used" from saving panel in Illustrator.

• Like 2

@diogo: Thanks for that tip, will email them about that.

I don´t have Illustrator myself but dreaming on buying it.

It´s very usable for design, logos, prototyping, etc.

but 750 dollar at amazon is gonna hurt a lot :(

I'm paying for adobe cloud because of inDesign, there's not really an alternative to it (no, Scribus is not production ready unfortunately), but inkscape really is a great alternative to illustrator just as Gimp is a great alternative Photoshop. Sketch is also an excellent and affordable alternative.

• Like 1

I use all of these tools  I once even convinced myself that I didn't need the Adobe products. When the Creative Cloud subscription came out it was a no-brainer to subscribe.  The wealth of quality professional tools in the Adobe subscription is truly amazing.

I still have a fondness for Inkscape and use it on occasion whenever I need a quick from scratch svg or png file.  I also still use GIMP to quickly resize images (for me, it does it better than others).

When the Creative Cloud subscription came out it was a no-brainer to subscribe

If I would live in California it would also be a no-brainer for me, but in Europe we pay the double unfortunately...

• Like 2

I like the look of Quill. I'm currently looking for a safe editor for the simple forum I'm creating.

I do have a somewhat stupid question though. The editor on the Quill page shows an embedded image etc. If the content of the Quill editor was santized, what exactly would happen to the content, and more importantly, the image? Would you santize it as a textarea?

• 2 years later...