Version Control

teppo

@Teppo,

here's the error;

i think this only happens on pages that actually have history for some fields; there is a page where we can add pages to this field, and i think possibly the only difference is that there is no history for any fields on that page

http://mysite.com/manage/page/edit/    Error:     Exception: Can't save field from page 1951: /catalogue/name-of-album-changed/: Call $page->setOutputFormatting(false) before getting/setting values that will be modified and saved.  [album_reviews] (in /home/someaccount/int/wire/core/Pages.php line 1110)  

#0 [internal function]: Pages->___saveField(Object(Page), 'album_reviews', Array)
#1 /home/someaccount/int/wire/core/Wire.php(389): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 /home/someaccount/int/wire/core/Wire.php(344): Wire->runHooks('saveField', Array)
#3 /home/someaccount/int/wire/core/Page.php(1180): Wire->__call('saveField', Array)
#4 /home/someaccount/int/wire/core/Page.php(1180): Pages->saveField(Object(Page), 'album_reviews', Array)
#5 /home/someaccount/int/wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldPageTable/InputfieldPageTableAjax.php(110): Page->save('album_reviews')
#6 /home/someaccount/int/wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldPageTable/InputfieldPageTableAjax.php(64): InputfieldPageTableAjax->addItem(Object(Page), Object(Field), Object(Page)) #7 [internal function]: Inputf

• 1 month later...

great little module @teppo!

feature suggestions:

1. revision drafting/editing

I would absolutely love a way to create a draft for a new revision to be published in the future. Basically a way to create an unpublished revision of the document with ability to go in and work on it before pushing it live.

2. revision scheduling

And a "draft" revision scheduling would be the next on wishlist.

perhaps there is something already available to enable this without too much effort?

great little module @teppo!

Thanks! :)

feature suggestions:

1. revision drafting/editing

I would absolutely love a way to create a draft for a new revision to be published in the future. Basically a way to create an unpublished revision of the document with ability to go in and work on it before pushing it live.

2. revision scheduling

And a "draft" revision scheduling would be the next on wishlist.

perhaps there is something already available to enable this without too much effort?

To be honest this seems to be out of the scope of this module. I've been going over your suggestions a few times in my head, and while I think I could probably implement something like that to this module if I really wanted, I don't really think it's a good idea. Drafts would most likely be easier to implement using a completely different approach.

Ryan took some steps towards drafts support a while ago, so you might want to see where that goes. If Ryan implements that as a core module, I've no interest in trying to duplicate similar behaviour here. Though I haven't used any of those that much, there's also Process Preview by Nico, Page Draft Creator by Rob, and Process Page Drafts by Jan Romero; you could always give one of these a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two issues on my installlation running PW 2.5.20:

The first is regarding the history tab: Method Page::snapshot does not exist or is not callable in this context. It seems that Page Snapshot is not being installed. Uninstalling and re-installing the module doesn't seem to help.

Also, it seems that if I create a new field (CKEditor in this case), assign it to a template, fill it with data, and then assign it to version control, it doesn't track anything. However, after re-installing the module, it worked... I may have missed something, but somewhere, somehow, the process didn't seem right.

@Mike: Just gave this a try, and I can't seem to reproduce either issue.

At what point exactly does the "Method Page::snapshot ..." error appear? When you load the page, when you hit preview, when you try to restore earlier revision, or somewhere else? Do you see any additional details, line numbers, etc.?

So far I'm thinking that it might be some weird compatibility issue (PHP, other modules, something) or perhaps a problem with autoload order -- though I might be totally off the track here too. Would be much easier to debug if I could somehow reproduce this :)

Another issue seems to be out of my reach too. Same workflow works for me as expected. In fact, I'm having trouble understanding how this could even happen in the first place -- if the field is enabled via Version Control module settings and other enabled fields are working as expected, this sounds really weird. If you can reproduce this, could you check that module config is actually saved to database?

Other factors that come to mind are some sort of (opcode) caching, and perhaps some installation weirdness related to either the native GUI install/update tool or modules manager. Absolutely not trying to pass the blame, but from what I've heard, both of these have had some issues. Never really used either one myself, which might or might not be the reason I've never had any installation issues either.. :)

The error appears when I view the snapshot in the history tab.

I'm going to give this a try on a fresh dev-install tomorrow. I tried it on a dev site (with pretty much no modules installed, and no ModulesManager), and had the issues.

Will also check the config-saving. I'm sure it did though, because the module page updates, and keeps my settings after a refresh.

• 3 weeks later...

I have problems with VersionControl. We use VersionControl for Textfields which conflicts with VersionControl, well actually with PageSnapShot.

VersionControl is not installed, but PageSnapShot still seems to be active. When I try to delete PageSnapShot I get a Server Error, when I try to delete VersionControl I get an error that VersionControl could not be deleted. When I refresh modules I get 

•  Failed module dependency: PageSnapshot requires VersionControl

So I am somehow in a trap. Is it possible to remove VersionControl and PageSnapShot manually?

your help ids much appreciated.

You can delete any module manually - just use something like PHPMyAdmin and browse/search the "modules" database table and remove the row for the module. Then remove the module folder from the server and you should be good. In the case of this module, there are also some additional db tables to remove, prefixed with "version_control", but be careful to remove the ones for the version of version control that you want to remove.

Also, note that Version Control supersedes Version Control for Textfields. The latter is only still around for older versions of PW.

• Like 4

@bbeer: additionally, if you're using the latest version of Version Control for Text Fields, there's an option in the module settings to *not* remove it's database tables when the module is uninstalled. The purpose of this is to make transition to Version Control easier: it should be able to import old data from Version Control for Text Fields during installation.

I've only done limited amount of tests with this feature, though, so I can't 100% guarantee that it will work. It has worked for me so far, but making backup copies of the module's tables might make sense if you're going to try it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to add FieldtypeOptions to the supported fields? Currently it's not working.

P.S. Maybe the preview shouldn't close on clicking. It's throwing an error for me, but with SystemNotifications installed one can't look at the whole error message, because the click on the number closes the preview.

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to add FieldtypeOptions to the supported fields? Currently it's not working.

Added. You can add fields there locally via module settings too.

P.S. Maybe the preview shouldn't close on clicking. It's throwing an error for me, but with SystemNotifications installed one can't look at the whole error message, because the click on the number closes the preview.

I'll have to think about this a bit more. Current behaviour (closing on click) is intentional, partly to prevent weird things happening when something on the previewed page is clicked, can't remember if there were other reasons too. I'm getting some errors also; I'll take a closer look at those first :)

Edit: forget that last part. Errors were a result of local changes, the feature is working as expected again. @LostKobrakai, any chance you could tell more about the error(s) you were getting?

Either way, the click-to-close thing is something I'll take into consideration, but changing this just to make system notifications work doesn't seem reasonable. Displaying admin views in preview mode is something that shouldn't ever happen, after all :)

Edited by teppo

I decided to not use version control for this project as this happened in the try out phase. Renobird's ActivityLog was a light alternative in this case. Therefore I can't follow up on your concerns before I'm a little bit less busy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some parts of this module, mainly those related to the cleanup features and settings, have been completely rewritten recently. I've also removed some old hacks, mainly from the UI side, that were carried over from Version Control for Text Fields. Test suite has been updated accordingly, and so far I've been unable to find any further issues, at least in the core features of this module.

While some todo items still remain, I've just bumped the version number of the module to 1.0.0, and removed the "beta" status from the modules directory and from the first post in this thread. 1.0.0 should be considered the first stable release of this module, but of course if anyone spots any issues, I'd be more than happy to hear about them, either here or via GitHub.

Big thanks to anyone who's been using this module, reporting issues, etc.!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a way to move all the version control data from one page to another.

use case:

pageA= a draft page

pageB= source draft was cloned from

pageB need to replace pageA at some point but it has a shallow history.

pageA has a long and wonderful page history, but its going to get replaced by pageB and will lose it all. OH NO! (pageA will be deleted)

Trying to make a function that can copy the history from one page to another, got stuck on how to write the SQL. Wondering if you can give any tips.

private function moveRevisionHistory($sourcePageId, $destinationPageId)
    {
        $database = $this->wire('database');
        $this->message("UPDATE version_control__revisions SET pages_id=$sourcePageId WHERE pages_id=$destinationPageId");
        $query = $database->prepare("UPDATE version_control__revisions SET pages_id=$sourcePageId WHERE pages_id=$destinationPageId");
        $query->execute();
        $query->closeCursor();
    }

This just changing the pages_id seems to break things, any tips on what else I need to update to move a page? there are a hand full of id's spanning across a few tables not sure what other id fields are storing "pages_id" information that would need to be updated. Maybe I have to update the parent field as well?

Update: Simplified way talking about it.

I am trying to move a history from one page to another page.

I am updating the pages_id, but that does not seem to do it. Do I also need to update the "parent" field some how?

Example SQL:

UPDATE version_control__revisions SET pages_id=$new_page_id_of_page_with_same_template WHERE pages_id=$page_id_to_update ;

@Neeks: that sounds pretty much right; revisions table is the only one containing references to page ID, so changing it there should be enough. I can't think of anything else you'd need to do straight away, though I haven't attempted anything like that before either, so it's entirely possible that something isn't working quite right after this (like you've mentioned above).

Could you explain what exactly breaks after this? I might be able to help you if I knew what went wrong. Currently I'm busy with other stuff, and can't really set up a test case for this myself.

@Teppo, thanks for confirming that is how it should work...I stepped away from my code and tried it with straight SQL and with hard coded page ID's and it worked. I did try this earlier, but I must have been working with not enough sleep (I was on the wrong server writing SQL and watching for results in the admin of another...sigh...)

• 10 months later...

I've just tried this out using 3.0.20 and have some observations. In the setup I selected one template and several fields but left defaults for everything else. I did not select any image or file fields.

It created tables, including one in which I found information about images.

In the edit page for the template I enabled in setup just about every field has little clock icon on it, many of them no selected in setup.

edit: Many of these don't have any changes yet but still show an icon (distracting for users)

The fields I did select seem to work as intended and the others do not record changes, they just have the icons.

Any ideas about how to record changes made to a PageTableExtended field (pages saved as children, different template)?

Another question, when it installed and populated tables I wondered if that process is timeout proof (batching of some kind to handle thousands of pages).

Thanks.

Hey @teppo, just tried the module on 2.8 and i get the error Argument 1 passed to VersionControl::isEnabledTemplate() must be an instance of Template on line 897, you have any idea of why that might be?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20.06.2016 at 5:36 PM, diogo said:

Hey @teppo, just tried the module on 2.8 and i get the error Argument 1 passed to VersionControl::isEnabledTemplate() must be an instance of Template on line 897, you have any idea of why that might be?

Got the same error on PW 3.0.25

• 2 weeks later...

The issue mentioned above was related to a recent change in the core class InputfieldWrapper. I've just created an issue for this to the ProcessWire repository in GitHub (https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/1936) and updated VersionControl to circumvent this issue. If you update the module to the latest version, it should work again.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

/cc @diogo, @ceberlin, @Zeka

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody using this with Spex in their templates? When I click to preview revision in the history tab listings it accesses a url like...

/processwire/setup/version-control/preview/?pages_id=38172&revision=333

That causes...

Fatal error: Call to a member function setLayout() on null in...

Just asking in case it's come up before. Thanks.

Sorry, I've never actually used Spex myself, but just a quick comment: that URL triggers the executePreview() method of ProcessVersionControl.module, which in turn tries to render the given page in a specific version. It sounds like rendering the page this way is a problem, though I have no idea why. Someone with proper understanding of Spex could probably answer that one :)