GuruMeditation

Updating a profile via the front-end. Code check?

Hello all, I've come up with the following code to allow a user to update their profile information from the front end. It's part of some code that will allow them to edit other content too. I've decided to use URL Segments to help determine the page they are trying to edit, as well as their name etc.

So this piece of code will basically allow them to update their Display Name. I just now need to add a piece of code to save the updated data back to the user profile fields etc.

The code works as I would expect, and I know there will be more efficient ways of going about this, but this is easy for me to read as it is. So I'm basically here to ask whether or not this is an ok way to go about things? Is it secure? Can you see any major issues? Obviously I will add more profile fields etc, like e-mail, avatar pic, sex etc.

I guess I'm just lacking a bit of confidence on the security front. I don't want users to have their profile info hacked from my sloppy coding etc :undecided:

<?php 

if($_POST['submit']) {
    echo "Form was submitted.";
    $new_display_name = $sanitizer->text($input->post->displayname);
    // The code to save the updated info for the profile will go here.
  }

// Make sure the user has permission before showing the page to edit.
  if($user->hasPermission("edit_content")) {

$edit_page = $input->urlSegment1;

// The user is trying to edit their profile.
    if($edit_page == "profile") {
      if($user->name == $input->urlSegment2 or $user->isSuperuser()){

$user_display_name = $user->user_display_name;
        ?>
        <form action='./' method='post'>
          <div class="row">
            <div class="large-12 columns">
              <label>Display Name
                <input type="text" maxlength="26" name="displayname" value="<?php echo $user_display_name; ?>" />
              </label>
            </div>
          </div>
          <div class="row">
            <div class="large-12 columns">
              <button type="submit" name="submit" value="Send">Update Profile</button>
            </div>
          </div>

</form>
        <?php
      }
      else {
        echo "You cannot edit this profile.";
      }
    }
    elseif($edit_page == "link") {
      echo "You are editing the following link page: " . $input->urlSegment2;
    }

}
  else {
    echo "You do not have permission to edit content.";
  }

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

I notice you are using the "edit_content" permission for profile update. I have to ask: why? If the user is logged in, they can update their own profile just fine. Maybe you plan permissions for editing content? Cannot say for sure. This check would be enough:

if ($user->isLoggedIn() && $user->name == $input->urlSegment1)

// now you may update you profile, Mr. User

Don't forget to sanitize urlSegments, too. You can never be too paranoid with user input. Don't be politically correct with external data.

On a side note, You might want to keep an eye on a similar topic.

• Like 4

I do have one more question which I forgot to ask. Will it be safe to use $sanitizer->text($input->post->displayname) rather than $sanitizer->name($input->post->displayname) for the display name? The display name will only be used like it is on this forum. I'd like my users to be able to have spaces etc in their display names.

Yes...use what is best for the job. $sanitizer->name is best for ProcessWire 'name' - Name is used to build the URL hence its formatting (of course you can use it if you require such formatting...) but in your case, text should be fine... :-)

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.