Module: Manage Files

Nico Knoll

• 1 year later...

Howdy,

Without the necessary skills/experience to do this myself I saw that:

• you can add a field showing the owner of the files (pages) found (actually I was able to do that)
    • sort by that field (that's by default)
    • maybe you can display the files 'owned' by the logged in user (I failed to even try this)

I think that would be a useful addition to this module.

I appreciate (now, after figuring out how to add an 'owner' field to this module) that 'users' are 'pages' and that there are issues if you assert that an image appearing on a page owned by a user is owned by that user but...

• 5 weeks later...

Just used this on a 2.4 site and it looks like it is working AOK (only noting that since the listing does not mention 2.4 compatibility).

I've probably said it before, but this Module provides functionality for which there is in my view a good case for including in core PW. Providing a DRY way to manage assets is very valuable.

The only 'big' thing I would love to work out how to provide, via this Module I assume or via the image or file field, is an easy way to swap a file for a replacement. This too I think has been a big-ish discussion before and I think it's not as simple as I am assuming. All I know from management of a large TextPattern site is however that a centralized place to see all assets and from where you can easily re-upload a new version or a file or image is a real boon.

Oh for enough spare synapse that I could add this functionality myself and give back to the community, sorry I'm too thick! ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just installed this module, and love it.

I still have a feature request:

I would like to have an option for blacklisting/whitlisting certain sites. Files on these sites should then not appear in the list.

I installed a second language and now i see all the json files, which is a little bit annoying …  :huh:

http://cl.ly/image/030n3d0K2B3w

Thanks!

Another strong vote for some kind of "file-type filter" option.

e.g. only show .jpg|.png|.gif|.mp4|.pdf files

• 1 month later...

Am I missing something or is this module basically does:

- lists all images from all pages that have imagefields/filefields filled with some files

- lets you delete the images/files from the same view

From the description I was getting that it would somehow allow to reuse images sitewide within RTE for example, as opposed to having to blindly switch through pagetree in the search for that image you wanted to reuse... ?

Is this something this module is supposed to do as well? Can't get it to do it under PW 2.6 in that case...

The most intuitive way of doing it would be to offer image/file selector with thumbnails right within the RTE image insert dialog. Long way to go still I guess?