My first PW site - dentist in Germany

gebeer

Hi there,

I just saw totoff's new doctor's site and thought, I add my dentist site here: http://zahnarztpraxis-wunschik.de/

Credits for design and concept go to http://www.gruenklee.de/grkl/

They did a great job on the design and photography.

This is my first PW project where I learned my ways around.

It is running on v2.3. I used the default site and married it with H5BP and added a sass framework for the styling part that I used in good old Joomla days.

From the PW side of things, this wasn't a great challenge thanks to this great forum. I was very happy about the Gmaps field. Only had to tweak it a little to display the info bubble. And FormBuilder. Didn't want to spend too much time on the form coding in a new environment. Tricky part here was to get the datepicker to display in German.

There are some Animation features. The three info boxes at the top are slidable. And there state (closed/open) is remebered across the site. That was tricky, too because I had never worked wit jQuery cookies before. Gave me some headache but finally worked out fine.

There are also some image slideshow features in the header on the "Praxis&Philosophie" page and on the start page. I used cycle2 jQuery plugin which is absolutely great.

And some slide-in effects on the team page.

All in all I learned really a lot from setting this up. It gave me a good base to explore PW further and work on more challenging projects with even more Animations AJAX etc. that shall be presented here in the near future.

• Like 10

Very nice and professional site - wow.

Two details though: I don't understand why "Im Notfall" (Emergencies) lives under "Aktuelle Meldungen" (News) and I would better like to understand at first glance, that the person pictured on the front page is the doctor herself. She looks pretty much like her assistants (green shirt etc., compare with the person under "Aktuelle Meldungen"), which imo is a disadvantage in healthcare, where personal trust in the doctor is the strongest asset.

• Like 1

Hello totoff,

thank you for taking a look at that site and taking your time to comment.

I agree with what you are saying. But the design, images and structure of the site all came from the agency mentioned. I'm merely the guy who does the programming stuff. So, unfortunately, I have no influence on the contents of the site.

If it was me, I would have placed "Im Notfall" under "Behandlungszeiten". Different people, different logic, it seems.

If people ever read the welcome text on the homepage, I think they can associate the dentists name with the image. And she really is looking like a dentist, isn't she?

• Like 1

Looks nice on desktop. But since you didn't implement a responsive version I would suggest to remove the viewport meta tag, otherwise it looks broken on mobile.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

It resizes for screens 1024x768 (IPad), but not optimized for lower than that. Guess thats why the viewport meta tag is in there.

Cheers

Gerhard

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

It resizes for screens 1024x768 (IPad), but not optimized for lower than that. Guess thats why the viewport meta tag is in there.

Cheers

Gerhard

Well it resizes exactly for iPad. Which is one of many possible resolutions. And above 1024 until 1280 I get an ugly horizontal scrollbar. Can't see a reason why to build it that way. If the iPad (and only in landscape format) is your only concern, better stick with a zoomable version instead of breaking it for all other devices. No offense, just want to point to possible problems. 

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing me to these options.

I use these already and tried many other kinds of similar services. But none of them are like the real thing. I also like http://www.responsinator.com/. The name is just too cool.

Especially when it comes to iOS-Safari specific bugs, Chrome device emulation doesn't reproduce them, like this one.

When using device detection scripts, Chrome emulator doesn't return the correct user agent strings, see for example here

I do test things with Chrome Dev tools but always on the real device, too. This seems the only way to make sure it is really looking as expected. Too bad, there is no real emulation for iPAd/iPhone available on Linux/Windows.

Cheers

Gerhard

• Like 2