Can I do this with Processwire?

ADONIS

Hi guys,

and Happy Easter to everyone.

I have a question, and to be honest I am NOT sure I am posting in the right forum :)

Can I use Processwire in order to create multi site platform where the USER will log in my page and then from there he/she will create/edit/modify   his/her website or online store without even know how to use Processwire?

There will be common tools for the users and they will use them according their requirements. About 500 people will use this for a start.

Is that possible to do it with Processwire?

Thank you and I will wait for your reply.

Yes, basically.

You can create a front end editing system, for instance (though that can seem a lot of hard work!) or you can limit what they access in the back end so they only have access to what they need to edit, making it very much simpler to use but without having to start from scratch. 

Have a look through the modules as there are some useful bits and pieces there like multisite, admin pages and so on, plus possibly the lister module that is being developed:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/5835-lister/?hl=lister

There is a not single out-of-the-box solution to your need, but then creating your own will allow you to make it very specific to what you want, which is always preferable.

Hello Jos,

Thank you VERY much for your reply. I know that I will need lot of work and probably everything will be ready untill Christmas, but you answered my concern; if I can use Processwire to established a platform for people to log in and create their websites or/and their online store.

I forgot to ask you, each website and each online store will have its own domain, will that be a problem? They will log in from my page with my domain in order to create or edit their website/online store for their own domain. Is that possible?

Well, I imagine anything is possible!

I have never used the multisite functionality, so you will have to see what that offers, but I suspect that you can do a little bit of re-routing so that if they login to their-site.com/admin they get sent to your-site.com/admin.

That is not uncommon with that sort of set up, to be honest.

To be honest I prefer the opposite; they will log in my site which will be the platform entrance and then they will edit their sites.

Like you said, anything is possible. I will have to work hard in order to accomplish it.

• 11 months later...

i am a lecturer in a community college in Turkey. I wanna build a web site for graduate students to be used as school yearbook. Students can login and add their own pictures. Also students can add notes for other students which may need a confirmation. 

Should processwire provide above needs for us??

Hi skaplan, welcome to processwire.

I am a lecturer in a community college in Turkey.

Processwire is ideal to teach to students because of it's open inner concept. Through processwire students will pick up the principles of building websites, functions and programming interfaces. Many people who entered this forum and started using processwire report that processwire not only lets you build anything you want but at the same time, during the process learns you how things work.

Should processwire provide above needs for us??

Yes it does. Simply because with processwire you are not bound to any system rules that you have to learn first, but can start building from what you need.

Take some time going through the different topic channels of this forum so you can read for your self and have a look at the api and the modules,

http://processwire.com/about/

http://modules.processwire.com/

https://processwire.com/api/

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I am total newbie, so I think I might put my question in this existing thread.

PW was recommended to me 2 days ago - so far I never heard of it (live in Germany).
Have done some reading so far, but haven't found yet what I was looking for - the concept sounds good so far.
Here's my question:
can I address multiple data sources from PW?
I have some sharepoint lists and data from 2 different MS SQL servers.
I need to display (mainly) and edit (only a few) queries that link data from these sources.
Quite some pages would be needed, so the data sources, tables, fields etc. should be "stored" somewhere. Tons of tables, but no real difficult stuff, mainly text strings and numbers.
Possible basically?

Thx in advance, Haimo