seafile - private cloud / filesync

felix

Thanks for you input. I'll review those for sure. I did try sparkleshare (among various others including properitary ones) some months ago. To make it clear: i'm not searching for Code-sharing stuff or calender/mail Services: we are using Office365 and gitlab for that. I'm searching for an agency Tool to share, Version and sync files which can be used by people who tend to not be all nerds :)

Haha. We're actually using sharefile at the moment ;)

I think i'll have to post some more detailled Information about my requirements (and why seafile seems to be a perfect fit) on this tomorrow.

In the meantime: any experiences with seafile? Anyone?

As promised here is a quick overview of our current setup and what we are looking for:

We're a communications agency with about 40 employees (and growing) doing all sorts of design, strategy and marketing related stuff. Some do have a good IT background but most aren't familiar with the command line (and most likely never will be).

Our portfolio includes print materials as well as strategic papers, movies and digital products like apps and websites. So we have a quite large amount of files with different requirements regarding workflow, versioning and size. At the moment all the files are stored on a network storage and mounted as a drive on every computer.
We also have a mixed setup of Operating Systems: Mac and Windows as workstations plus Linux as a server OS.

Currently we do version our (programming) code using an internal gitlab server as well as using github for sharing code with freelancers - so no need for a code versioning tool as we are happy with the current one. All of our communication and calendar stuff is done with exchange (saas/office365).

As for project planning software we are currently searching for a new tool ( https://www.openproject.org/ is my current favorite one). But that isn't related to file management at all: I'm quite a big fan of "one software per requirement" as most "one software to rule them all" tools are bloated and buggy (at least from my experience).

To sum up all this background information we need a tool that:

• can handle 40-60 users
  • can handle very large (binary) files
  • can handle a enormous amount of files (Currently: 966GB of Data in 149350 Files) :)
  • is easy to understand and use - even for people who don't have an IT background (Dropbox Style...)
  • integrates with our workflows
  • makes versioning and sharing files easy (this might include sharing them with customers but isn't the main point)
  • is self hosted in our internal lan for speed reasons
  • Like 2