Site Profiles from Modules Directory as install option

Roope

Idea for this came up at PW-H5BP thread so I decided to open this for discussion.

At the moment Site Profiles require manual installation. So basicly we would offer some simple option at the beginning of installation for user to choose available profile from modules directory before they proceed.

Technically this should be pretty doable since other modules can already be installed similar way at the admin.

Thoughts?

An option to select a site profile in the installation process would be nice. At least there should be an additional blank or the H5BP profile.

Example from the other thread:

option 1: install the PW default profile (simple site, recommended for learning)

option 2: install PW blank profile (start from scratch, for experienced devs)

option 3: install PW H5BP (start with an actual H5BP template, read more ...)

• Like 1

I'm not sure about it to be honest (which probably goes against what I've said on the subject when it's been mentioned before :D). I mean, the user will have just done some manual work to get the files onto their server to begin installation anyway (even if they use the single file installation method) so it shouldn't be too daunting for them to put a different profile in the right place.

What might not be a bad idea as a first step towards this is maybe mention on the first step of the installer that other profiles are available with a link to them?

• Like 1

Currently it is possible to download and install new site profile from admin so it can be kind of confusing since you really can't install profiles this way. Some special treatment would be nice.

post-1087-0-22829200-1397632700_thumb.pn

At first glance I thought this to be a great idea.

But thinking about it twice brings up a major question for me:

What profiles do you want to offer on first install?

Suggestions here were:

option 1: install the PW default profile (simple site, recommended for learning)

option 2: install PW blank profile (start from scratch, for experienced devs)

option 3: install PW H5BP (start with an actual H5BP template, read more ...)

What about Foundation5 profile or Bootstrap profile or...?

It all depends on personal choice which profile/framework to use. Many of us are building there own starter profiles.

So in order to satisfy most people's needs, there would have to be at least 5 different profiles to choose from which would blow up PW initial install files size considerably.

As Pete said it should not be too difficult to copy some extra files over the original ones before installing PW.

Finally, the great thing about PW is that it doesn't make any assumptions about how you want to code your template. And I think it should stay that way.

So in order to satisfy most people's needs, there would have to be at least 5 different profiles to choose from which would blow up PW initial install files size considerably.

I would offer all of them from modules directory. If the profile made it's way to the directory, it must be useful for more than one person/organisation.

Idea would be that installer only downloads needed files from Github - we wouldn't include anything more to default PW package.

So what I was thinking for installer:

1. First to mention about default profile that is included (contains some example data etc..).
  2. Then something about site profiles in general - if you like to use one, now it's the time to install and how to do it.
  3. Finally offer possibility to select one pre-made profile from directory and installer will download needed files to it's place.

I think least 1 & 2 should be added. But then again, you can install any other modules automatically so why not site profiles? After all profile can have many different folders (and files) to replace where basic module usually have just one.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently it is possible to download and install new site profile from admin so it can be kind of confusing since you really can't install profiles this way. Some special treatment would be nice.

attachicon.giflocalhost • Modules • ProcessWire.png

Just wanted to mention that language packs should be treated different by module installer, too.

I made a PR to fix these: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/pull/461