Batch Child Editor

adrian

Hey @Robin,

I don't have much time, but some quick answers to hopefully get you going:

1) It does support multi value fields, but it does so with a multi-value separator (default is: |) so you would need to concatenate your separate columns into one with a separator.

2) I believe it should support importing for different templates for child pages, but only for one to one column to field relationships. I think where you will have trouble is if you want to match specific columns to specific fields. This leads into your next question.

3) If you have a mismatch of columns to fields, then you will want to use the "Field Pairings" feature. This is available if you make the parent a "configurable page" in the module settings and then define the pairings on the settings tab of that parent page.

4) See answer to 3 ?

5) Currently there is no match by ID - if you are doing an "update", then it's all based on the order of child pages. Maybe this feature could be added though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

• Like 3

@Robin S - to support the textareas pro field, I think you'll need to add a new block after these: https://github.com/adrianbj/BatchChildEditor/blob/85d81d7e7cb452c0d5ece34583e42c1f2f4aae50/BatchChildEditor.module.php#L1644-L1649

and a updateTextaresField() method to handle the import. This might actually work for other simple multivalue fieldtypes, so perhaps it could be:

elseif($f->type instanceof FieldtypeMulti) {

Not sure you timing on needing this. If you don't get to it (or decide to take a different approach), I'll try later in the week.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info @adrian. I think for this specific case I'll write a custom import script. I'm already using a custom script for exporting the data so will be pretty straightforward to whip up an equivalent import script. Will definitely spend some time playing with BCE later though - looks really nice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I can't get csv import to work for a ProField Multiplier. I have 14 columns/fields paired. The multiplier field is number 6. If mapped I get the import to work for all fields up until this field (no errors shown) this field and the following are empty. If I remove the mapping for this field everything else get's imported correctly. Is the syntax for CSV Field Pairing different when using multiplier? The field name is pm_numbers and I mapped like this:

1:title
6:pm_numbers

Most rows of the CSV has a single value the ones with more than one have them separated by a pipe |
Type is text but actually contains numbers in the CSV but that shouldn't matter right?

Any clues?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, adrian said:

Yeah, currently BCE doesn't support the ProField Multiplier fieldtype ?

I'll see if I can get it working for you shortly.

Eureka! ? Read in some post that it was supported, hence some loss of hair. Thanks! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

can this module import images?

I saw somewhere that it can but it does not work for me. Normal text fields and everything else works great but no images.

I also tried every possible path that I could think of, even remote url but no results. And no errors.

If this helps, I'm on latest PW 3.0.123, PHP 7.0.1 (tried higher version, no changes). Clean install of PW and only BCE as module.
Since I'm on Windows (10) I run Xampp or Wamp. Tried both, same result. Everything but images works.

Any ideas?

I only need one image per page but I have over 2000 images.

Edited by Deyan
addition

• 5 months later...

Hello. Not the greatest first post, but here we go ?

I'm having a small issue exporting to CSV. Every export begins with an error relating to pagesToInclude:

<br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined index: pagesToInclude in <b>...\site\assets\cache\FileCompiler\site\modules\BatchChildEditor\ProcessChildrenCsvExport.module.php</b> on line <b>112</b><br />

This happens regardless of whether I set a rule for the pages to be included or not. Otherwise the export works, but need manual removal of the first two lines.

Any good ideas?

23 minutes ago, adrian said:

Hi @pullasuti - welcome to the forums!

I can't seem to reproduce this. Are you exporting a parent with separately configurable settings, or relying on BCE's default module settings?

What version of PW and PHP are you using?

Thank you.

I've been trying it both ways with the same results

ProcessWire is 3.0.123 and PHP version 7.3.12

Could you do me a favor please? Do you have Tracy installed?

If you could enter:

bd($currentData);

after line 100 and post a screenshot of the output. It should look something like this:

image.png.895921af615c241346278439f1104977.png

The key thing is that you will need to enable the Dumps Recorder panel in Tracy and after you click the export button, you'll need to reload the page to see the results in the Dumps Recorder panel.

Thanks!

Sorry, but uninstalling Tracy doesn't help replicate it for me either. 

I am curious - is this a new install of BCE, or did you upgrade from an older version? I get the feeling you may have upgraded from a version before the pagesToInclude option existed and there is a problem with the defaults not making it through when using separately configurable pages. Would you mind uninstalling and reinstalling BCE to see if that fixes it?

16 minutes ago, adrian said:

Sorry, but uninstalling Tracy doesn't help replicate it for me either. 

I am curious - is this a new install of BCE, or did you upgrade from an older version? I get the feeling you may have upgraded from a version before the pagesToInclude option existed and there is a problem with the defaults not making it through when using separately configurable pages. Would you mind uninstalling and reinstalling BCE to see if that fixes it?

A new install, but I am working on the site in a new environment. BCE seems to export fine on the live site, but locally I keep getting the same error even after removing and reinstalling BCE, clearing cache, checking permissions...

Since it's working as it should on the live site, I feel I'm wasting your time with a configuration issue. I'll have to take a closer look at what's going on.

But thank you for now ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, ceberlin said:

Parent pages with thousands of children do not open for editing in backend. They timeout with Error 500.

Indeed. It once took me ages to find out why. Since then I keep it installed, but only activated for certain templates ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello There,

First of all tks a lot for the module and I hope you (and every PW forum members) are doing fine.

I am using BCE  to import a few pages from an other CMS with the cvs import function. For the time being I am playing with the module to test it out. Everything works fine but the field pairing options.

I can import pages from the CSV file (without field paring) but when I am using the field pairing it doesn't work (no pages are created) or rather I don't know how to make it work.

I am using PW 3.0.148 (latest stable release)  et the module version 1.8.19. and php 7

I have simplified my use case to try to understand the problem. I have a template with 2 fields title and body. In this test I am trying to import only the title field.

here is the config screen

376228577_ScreenShot2020-03-23at15_33_21.thumb.png.1a2302a2cd83583b11e7dbd8f117357f.png

The process runs with no error (nothing in the logs) and this is the message I get.

1198911621_ScreenShot2020-03-23at15_11_10.thumb.png.b3693441d85084c890c918417b117e2c.png

But no pages are created under the parent pages. nothing !

here are my settings

2034923180_ScreenShot2020-03-23at15_14_08.thumb.png.a601997c52864fbc3ee4420ed5bd65fa.png

I went through the support board but didn't find any pointers at a solution.

If I run the same import without the field pairing option ... it s all good with all the fields.

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

Hi @antpre - sorry the problems. Looks like you have discovered an issue with field pairings when the "ignore first row" option in checked. If you uncheck that and of course remove that first row of column names everything should work fine.

I tried to fix it quickly, but there's more to it than I realized and I have a deadline today, so will have to look at fixing properly later, but hopefully the above suggestion will get you going.