Batch Child Editor

adrian

1 hour ago, mel47 said:

@adrian sorry for the delay. I finally was able to test it, and it rocks! html tags are now imported correctly.

Great to hear!

1 hour ago, mel47 said:

I still have difficulties with export : when some fields (images or files) are empty, the content of body field is replicated.

I am having troubles replicating this - any chance of getting access to the admin of the server so I can take a look? If not, could you perhaps test to see if there is some specific combination that causes this problem for you. Does it only happen with multilanguage fields? Any specific file/image settings that are needed? If you could start from a fresh PW install with default textarea and image fields and try to figure out what setting may be causing the problem that would be very helpful.

1 hour ago, mel47 said:

Concerning multilanguage, could you give an hint of how to use it? Do I can import in 2 languages at the same time? Anyway, I discovered a workaround couple weeks ago. If I changed default language, I could import in this language. So I will do 2 imports, which is not so bad, considering I planned to used it only once to migrate my website content.

I honestly haven't looked into it yet. I am glad that your workaround of changing the default language works for you. I think supporting ML importing could get tricky - how would you delineate between the content for each language? Would it be separate CSV "columns"? I guess if there was a column for each language for each field that is ML it should work. I don't have time to look into it at the moment, but I am actually starting on my first ML client site, so I will be learning lots more about ML and might get some insight into the best approach.

@adrian Thanks for the welcome and for offering your help! I'm using the latest version of BCE that's available through PW, 1.3.6 (I cannot update the files on the server manually with the latest version from GitHub as there is an issue with the writing rights on the server). I'll message you with example data and all the information that may be relevant for figuring this out.

6 minutes ago, Naz said:

I cannot update the files on the server manually with the latest version from GitHub

Whenever I commit a new version to Github I always update the PW modules directory, so you should always be able to get the latest version (which is 1.3.6) that way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, matjazp said:

Hi! When I set to "Load open, not collapsed" BCE works as expected. Then I disabled this option but BCE still loads open, not collapsed.

My initial testing here shows that it is working as expected, so there must be some combination that you have that I am not testing. Can you please provide some screenshots to demonstrate the problem?

I think what you are seeing is because you have already saved that page - when there is a ?s=1 in the URL it opens regardless of that setting. If you load another page and then come back to this page, it should be collapsed if that setting is unchecked.

Regarding the "Overwrite Names" - this is working for me - remember the note mentions that it's only relevant in Edit and Update modes. If checked and you change the title of the page, the name will also change. Are you not seeing this?

• Like 1

Just now, matjazp said:

You are right, I had ?s=1 in the url, didn't notice... And name change is working of course. Thank you and sorry for taking your time. 

No problem at all :) I was never quite sure if that was the best approach to overriding that open/collapsed setting, but thought in general that once you have saved a page once, you'll probably want it open while you are still working on it and haven't navigated away. I am open to suggestions though.

Glad the name change is working as expected - I really like that option (which is of course why I also built: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/page-rename-options/), especially during development - I think I would go crazy without it :)

Btw, I just committed some updates to BCE - I recently changed the way CSV files are parsed and I just realized I introduced a bug when the field names were in the first row. Anyway, you should update when you get a chance.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy,

I have BCE 1.3.8 installed and just upgraded from ProcessWire 2.7.2 to 3.0.36. When I Export pages to CSV, the created file starts with

<br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Trying to get property of non-object in <b>[...]/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/BatchChildEditor/ProcessChildrenCsvExport.module</b> on line <b>159</b><br />

and the actual csv-formatted data starts after that. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Hi @tkaranka - sorry about that. However, I am not seeing the problem here, so I might need a little more info from you. That error comes from code dealing with field types that extend Multi - the most common one being images so I am wondering if there is something specific about the setup of that field.

Could you please try to dump the value of: $fieldName just before line 159. And also, the value of: count($p->$fieldName)

Tracy's bd() will be the easiest way to do this if you have it installed.

Thanks!

Thanks, @adrian, for the quick response!

The most peculiar thing happened; as I went to install Tracy and decided to try exporting once again just because before diving into Tracy's settings, the export worked as it should. No error message no more! So all's fine now.

Sometimes these things just go way over my head. Sorry this took some of your time too!

1 hour ago, tkaranka said:

Thanks, @adrian, for the quick response!

The most peculiar thing happened; as I went to install Tracy and decided to try exporting once again just because before diving into Tracy's settings, the export worked as it should. No error message no more! So all's fine now.

Sometimes these things just go way over my head. Sorry this took some of your time too!

I wouldn't ignore it completely just yet. Any chance the error comes back if Tracy is disabled?

I am going to be away for the next two weeks, but let me know what you find and I'll take a further look then.

• Like 1

@adrian Is it possible to hook the "Process Children CSV Export" to a Lister Pro View so that I can export all filtered entries that are actually shown?
The process should be something like:

Goto Lister Page
Filter my results
Press "Export as CSV" Button

How would I do that?

Hi @adrian

Two questions :

1. When I export as CSV a field "Page" (Unique, select), it doesn't work. However if I change to Page - multiple - ChosenSelectMultiple, it works fine. It's not a big problem, since I change to multiple even if I want only one page, but it's a little bit counter-intuitive.
  2. Is it possible to create a new page (authors) (from a field page(author)) by using BCE? I can import only pages (authors) already created. Again, I can import as first step those authors, but I would rather prefer import publications and automatically creating author. On side note, creating page is activated and works fine if I use PW interface.

My tree is something like this:

Publications (page)
---Author (field, type page from Author)

Authors (page)
---Title

Thanks again.

Mélanie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @mel47 - sorry for the delay on this. I have just committed a fix - could you please take a look and let me know if you have any other problems?

I also fixed an issue with multiple values when you want a line break (\r) as the separator. I am converting \r to chr(13) and \n to chr(10). I know that \r works on Mac Excel, but from reading around I think you need \n for Windows, but you guys can test that out.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2016 at 3:27 PM, mel47 said:

Is it possible to create a new page (authors) (from a field page(author)) by using BCE? I can import only pages (authors) already created. Again, I can import as first step those authors, but I would rather prefer import publications and automatically creating author. On side note, creating page is activated and works fine if I use PW interface.

Sorry I forgot about this part of your message. 

I have just added support for this, along with the ability to import page fields with multiple values (by title). Note that you can adjust the separator for multiple pages (eg authors in your example, although I think you may not make use of the multiple option).

Please let me know how this goes for you - it hasn't been well tested and there is quite a bit going to support all this.

Just playing around with the AdminOnSteroids filter on BCE and thought maybe a new "View" mode for BCE might be nice. 

I simplified everything right down by removing all labels and using the "Replace" option for the Position setting in BCE, so this is all you see on the Children tab. 

Wondering if you guys (especially @tpr - our resident admin tweaker) have any thoughts on tweaking this new "View" mode so it's a nice replacement for the standard Children tab view. FYI, the edit icon opens the page for editing a modal.

I feel BCE needs some more options for controlling what user roles get access to which modes so that it is possible to restrict some to just this mode, which I think it a nice replacement for the Children tab, which for the most part I don't really see much value in with its current layout which is basically a reproduction of what you get in the main page tree view.

Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 7.17.41 PM.png

I guess I'm missing something, but what benefits does this new View Mode have over the Edit Mode? The AOS filter can search for any text in the rows (eg. page name, template name) so it's reducing its functionality. I can tweak the filter to trigger the Edit icon instead the View if you think this would be the main benefit.

8 hours ago, tpr said:

I guess I'm missing something, but what benefits does this new View Mode have over the Edit Mode? The AOS filter can search for any text in the rows (eg. page name, template name) so it's reducing its functionality. I can tweak the filter to trigger the Edit icon instead the View if you think this would be the main benefit.

You might be right - the idea was for a simplified view for site editors that you think can't be trusted with the Edit mode, or just so you can see the entire page title (if you have long titles (like news articles etc) cleanly. I haven't committed this new version yet, so I'll see if others have any comments.