Batch Child Editor

adrian

I'm currently pretty swamped between my holiday and another vacation coming up. 

My heart bleeds for you :)

Whenever you get the chance to look it will be greatly appreciated - turns out to be pretty painful to replicate all the checks in all scenarios - hopefully I have everything covered.

• 3 weeks later...

Just added some new features and a couple of bug fixes to the dev branch.

1. Fixes for export mode with certain complex field types

2. Added support for AJAX loading of BCE - especially useful if you are using the "New Tab" position option - requires PW 2.6.11+. This will make Page -> Edit load much quicker when you have lots of child pages.

3. New Lister mode - this allows you to view (and configure the default columns/filters) all children under the current page. If you have ListerPro installed you can also use the Actions on the children. This also supports inline editing which makes for a very quick and easy way to edit the key fields on each child page.

Please let me know how the new AJAX load and Lister mode features work for you - I think I need some wider testing before pushing this to the master branch.

You can define the Lister config settings sitewide, and then provide overrides for each parent page that has been enabled under "Configurable Pages"

post-985-0-61627100-1439912334_thumb.png

This screenshot shows the new Lister mode configured to show a predefined set of columns - a great way to preview the page content of child pages.

post-985-0-89453200-1439904134_thumb.png

This shows the Lister Inline Edit mode - making for very quick editing of key fields in child pages.

post-985-0-03194800-1439919612_thumb.png

• Like 6

seems i've to translate some strings again....you're really getting this as alternative editing interface for childpages instead of the normal pagetree....;)

Thank you very much for this nice piece of work - will testing soon.

• Like 1

Thanks @mr-fan!

I just put together another screenshot showing how you can use BCE as the equivalent of an inline PageTable field interface. 

Obviously these are just child pages and are not callable from a field, but it provides an excellent editing interface in a dedicated tab along with all the filtering options of lister. It also doesn't have any of the problems with a PageTable field regarding editing the content page directly and not having new pages automatically added, etc. The inline ajax editing is also a great bonus over the popup modal editing. 

Of course, this inline editing requires ListerPro, but I think it is worth it :)

post-985-0-14812200-1439922118_thumb.png

• Like 3

Sorry for the stream of updates, but you can now embed BCE into the flow of fields within the Content Tab. This makes for even easier access to inline ajax editing of child pages.

It probably only makes sense for Lister, Edit, and Export modes.

Just pushed this option to the dev branch.

post-985-0-90776500-1439936696_thumb.png

• Like 4

You are a real bad guy....with all this "stream updates" ;)

just one tick while testing...

https://github.com/adrianbj/BatchChildEditor/pull/4

(changes the labels on the field selection in the right language)

The issue with Lister view if there was images is a problem of the actuale PW dev i think?

For BCE i tested today very much and the next days german translation follows....while testing i've to say just one thing but i think i'm repeating me:

THIS IS A SUPER MEGA GREAT ADDON.... ^-^

some little testing things:

- Setting (Editor,Position, Load...) ->Position = Inline Fieldset, Insert After = title, load the fieldset open = true, ....Open Method is hidden if loading the fieldset collapsed but "Normal" or "Ajax" loading should be selectable while this setting enables the inline editing, too not only the loading?

- A "modal option" for lister mode should be a little additional option for the lister edit links, to edit childpages in modal mode...

This is really great if your wanna a easy and nice overview page on such root pages for the same kind of content like team, tags and articles or similar....i'll embed it in my current projects since it is much more flexible that a pagetable for this task!

And a additional call for others to buy Lister Pro...;)

Best regards mr-fan

• Like 1

@mr-fan - thanks for the great feedback, testing, and the PR for language labels. 

1. Yep - I think the issue with the Lister view not working when there is an images field selected is a problem with PW dev / Lister
  2. I don't quite understand the Normal/Ajax load problem (I am sure I am missing something obvious so will look better later to see if I can figure out why that needs to be an available option when Open is checked.
  3. Yep - I was planning on making the Lister EDIT mode configurable to include the modal option, but there is something stopping it from working properly in modal mode - I think it's because Lister is in an iframe, but I will look again and see if I can get it to work - it would be much nicer for times when inline/ajax editing is not enough (or the user doesn't have ListerPro).

I am also thinking of making it possible to choose a different parent (or maybe even use a full PW selector) so you can make BCE grab children from somewhere else in the page tree - I think this would only work for Lister, Edit, and Export modes, but could be very cool - kinda like the ability of PageTable to specify a different parent, but even more powerful. I'll hopefully play with this in the next few days and post a new dev version then.

• Like 1

Ok, just pushed a new version to dev that adds support for choosing an alternate Parent. This allows you to bring in child pages from any other parent in the page tree (like I mentioned in my previous post above). It's a new option under the Content / Deletion / Protection tab - obviously only available for page specific config settings.

Also added an option to determine whether Filters/Columns/Actions are available in Lister mode - checkbox under the Lister mode settings tab.

This version might require a little extra testing regarding allowed templates for editing/adding pages.

Please let me know how it goes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow the "Own Tab" setting doesn't seem to work on a 2.6.14 installation, leaving the functionality inside of "Children" does work.

Not sure exactly what changed just yet, but it works for me so long as the Tab / fieldset name is only one word. Not sure if it's a bug that Ryan introduced or what, but if you use a multi word name, I run it through the PageName sanitizer and now it breaks the tab. Will investigate further later, but for now, one word names should work fine. 

Sorry for the delay - while I was out for dinner I realized exactly what the issue was - I needed the fieldName sanitizer, not pageName. Not sure why it worked before - I guess 2.6.14 enforced no dashes in fieldset names?

Anyway, it is fixed now on the dev branch. if you don't want to switch to the dev branch at the moment, here are the changes you need:
https://github.com/adrianbj/BatchChildEditor/commit/f1721794a77c1b6dfebcae692485f41ee0df75ea#diff-b79b82291600910335909ae234e40fdb

I'm not sure if that's a Lister issue, but by default the pages should really be sorted by "sort" and not "-modified", which makes less sense in the module's context.

Edit: It would also be nice if there would be a way to exclude some fields (e.g. mode) from the new save-reminder functionality.

I'm just started to use BCE id a project and I like it, thanks!

One question: do you plan to add a toggle checkboxes to columns, eg. mark all / unmark all?

Sometimes I need to delete tens of pages at a time and this would speed up the process a lot.

(for example 72 pages this time, this happens when my form processor goes wrong :))

I'm just started to use BCE id a project and I like it, thanks!

One question: do you plan to add a toggle checkboxes to columns, eg. mark all / unmark all?

Sometimes I need to delete tens of pages at a time and this would speed up the process a lot.

(for example 72 pages this time, this happens when my form processor goes wrong :))

The easiest way to batch delete a huge number of pages is to enable the "Replace" mode and make sure you have the "Text/Paste" option checked under: Data entry / CSV import options > Page data options

Then simply empty the TextArea list of all the child pages and click save!

Please let me know if anything doesn't make sense - the config options in this module can take a while to get the hang of  :)

I'm not sure if that's a Lister issue, but by default the pages should really be sorted by "sort" and not "-modified", which makes less sense in the module's context.

Edit: It would also be nice if there would be a way to exclude some fields (e.g. mode) from the new save-reminder functionality.

Sorry for the late response on this one - it is definitely on my list of things to do - unfortunately it doesn't seem to be as simple as it sounds - I am getting conflicts with the main Pages->Find Lister, but when I find some time, I'll definitely see if it can be fixed.

Please let me know if anything doesn't make sense - the config options in this module can take a while to get the hang of  :)

Sure it helps, thanks! The module seemed surprisingly simple at first but now I can see the whole beast :)

The thing I was trying to recommend is a checkbox that would toggle all checkboxes in the column, like this:

post-3156-0-44542700-1441908361_thumb.pn

This would require only some lines of JavaScript.

Thanks - I do see your point regarding the check all - it would be especially useful for the hidden/unpublished options and I am sure something similar could be done for the delete option in edit view also.

Would you mind adding an Issue on Github for me so I don't forget to do this at some point, or better yet, a PR ;)

I don't think the shift-click is related to this module. That was the first thing I tried before adding the header checkboxes.

The rearrange feature doesn't work here, and clicking on the the headers doesn't sort the columns - I don't know if that is normal.

@tpr - thanks very much for the PR - the functionality looks awesome and will be a great timesaver - I'll try to review in the next couple of days. I haven't ever seen the header "order by" icons in BCE - I certainly didn't add them intentionally - have you added these?

@BernhardB - thanks for all the likes :) I just looked at your video and the only issue I can reproduce is the shift-click selecting checkbboxes both hidden and unpublished columns - not sure if I can fix this or not since it is core functionality, but I will take a look. I am not having any issues using the sort/move handles and the Add New is also working fine. I am using the dev version of BCE here, but I know it worked for me with stable before. I would be curious if you have the same issue with the dev version though. Could you also let me know if there are any console errors - looks like the javascript for BCE is not working at all for you. Is anyone else seeing these issues?

No, I only added the thead checkboxes, the sort icons were already there. It looks if there was some js file is missing or somehow it is blocked, but no signs of that in the console. I also got all the issues Bernard has. I will try the dev version later. Isn't it some module setting that blocks some features? (eg. add new page button)