Cannot allocate memory errors

Anton Martin

Hi Guys, I'm fairly new to Processwire but am very excited by what it's capable of. Loving the fact that it leaves you to create the mark up!

I have a problem on my latest project, it's a fairly simple site that ran flawlessly on my testing server however now it's throwing up 500 errors every few page clicks. Upon checking the server logs I see the following error (variations relating to the referring page anyway).

Cannot allocate memory: couldn't create child process: /opt/suphp/sbin/suphp for /home4/artandbr/public_html/index.php, referer: http://artandbrushpainting.com.au/tricks-of-the-trade/

The clients web host is telling me that my scripts need optimising - sounds like rubbish as the site is fairly light weight and not doing anything fancy. Their PHP Memory Value is currently 64mb.

I'd appreciate any ideas, feedback or condolences as I'm by no stretch a PHP developer and am a little lost at this point!

PS the host is crazydomains.com.au which are considered to be cheap and nasty over here in Australia.

I don't know what is going on, but sometimes the form http://artandbrushpainting.com.au/form-builder/quote/ is generation a 500

64mb of memory is enough so what I can see for your website.

( think it will run on 32mb to if you don't need to scale images in the back-end. )

So I think there must be something else, mis configuration of the server ?

The clients web host is telling me that my scripts need optimising - sounds like rubbish as the site is fairly light weight and not doing anything fancy. Their PHP Memory Value is currently 64mb.

Unasked advise: If you don't trust that host, save money for the client and save the irritation you will get.

Go run for it and search another hoster.

Unasked advise: If you don't trust that host, save money for the client and save the irritation you will get.

Go run for it and search another hoster.

I'd like nothing more than to take that advice and head for the hills. Unfortunately the client is unwilling to move hosts - usually I'd insist on hosting the site with my usual provider but this client already had an established relationship with this company that he didn't want to move away from. He's even paid me a "3rd party hosting" fee so I'd install it on someone else's server.

Could this module be a possible solution? https://processwire.com/talk/store/product/6-procache-single/

If you don't get to the root of your problem it will come back to you later on. I do expect the same problems for the back-end and recreation of the cache, so I think ProCache on it's own is not a solution.

Nevertheless, those $39.00 spend for ProCache will be the best $39.00 spend this week I think.

Sorry I can't help you more then this.

• Like 1

Well that shows it's running Apache. 

Looking at the path of that error it shows the server is running php under suPHP and if you google that error you are getting, it seems that everyone is also running suPHP, so I think it might be time to put the onus back on your host. 

Maybe someone else has some better ideas?

PS I had to deal with crazydomains once - I found the site was often unavailable for a few minutes at a time, quite regularly. I know you can't change, but I am sure they are the issue.

• Like 1

I've heard the "unoptimised script" excuse with different software on different hosts over the years and it always ticks me off when you're using software you know is properly configured and can handle the load.

If nothing else I feel your pain :(