jacmaes

Export to Excel

A group of architects doing field and statistical research on city neighborhoods came to me to create an online database that they could edit from anywhere. PW seemed like the perfect choice since it's very easy to customize the admin to fit their needs, and they are indeed quite happy.

Now, however, they'd like to have an Excel file of all the neighborhoods, one on each row, so that they can work with the data offline and produce printed documents of their research.

The PW tree is organized geographically: region > city > neighborhood. In other words, each neighborhood is a page with about 40 fields (and growing). How would you guys go about it? 

I have recently used this code to create CSV, works great.

// array, with for each row an array
$array = array(
    array('val 1 - row 1', 'val 2 - row 1', 'val 3 - row 1'),
    array('val 1 - row 2', 'val 2 - row 2', 'val 3 - row 2'),
    array('val 1 - row 3', 'val 2 - row 3', 'val 3 - row 3'),
    etc...
    );

$out = '';
$handle = fopen('php://temp', 'r+'); // temp read/write file-like wrapper
foreach ($array as $line) fputcsv($handle, $line, ',', '"');
rewind($handle);
while (!feof($handle)) $out .= fread($handle, 8192);
fclose($handle);
echo trim($out);
  • Like 4

There are other libraries, but this one is pretty powerful:

phpexcel.codeplex.com

Moved to here https://github.com/PHPOffice/PHPExcel

I have used it to generate excel files from PW. Cool thing is that it also allows you to automatically generate charts from the data.

Edited by Pete
Project has moved to Github
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By maba
      Hello,
      I need to import regularly - every 15 or 30 days - a big .xslx file into my PW installation.
      This file now has 14 columns, 5.000 rows and grows every month.
      I'll need to group, order and work with these data to:
      analyse User monthly costs analyse User costs per Asset ... User (real AD account) has to match with a PW user - I can't join to the domain - but as you can see I have some services users (start with sca_*) or no user at all. Those rows have to be assigned to a specific user, e.g. account100.
      And:
      I would like to be able to have a kind of diff function to compare User assets between this and last month (and so on) other request is to have a notification when something change for a User between actual and latest import First request: which is the best solution to store those data in your opinion? Page, Table, Repeater Matrix, ...?
      Those are very repetitive data and I think a page reference is better than to import all the data every time but I have to understand how to manage those "dynamic" groups of software (AccType Det), hardware (Asset), ... For example Price will be imported and not stored with the description because it could be change in the future and I'll not have any control on it.
      Thanks!
      User,OE,productNmr,AccType1,AccType Det,Count,Price (€),Sum,ASNA,CC,AccType Info,Asset,AccGroup,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    • By dragan
      Is it by design that a site/ready.php is not included when creating a new site profile? Is it possible to include it with a hook? Or are there any security thoughts? (I don't want to redistribute it in public, it's just so I have my own boilerplate)
    • By NorbertH
      I have trouble exporting fields via the buildin export. 
      For example when i export a single field  i get:
      { "bestellung_status_name": { "id": 194, "type": "FieldtypeText", "flags": 0, "name": "bestellung_status_name", "label": "Status Intern", "textformatters": [ "TextformatterEntities" ], "collapsed": 0, "minlength": 0, "maxlength": 100, "showCount": 0, "size": 0, "pattern": "[a-z\\A-Z\\(\\)]+", "showIf": "", "themeInputSize": "", "themeInputWidth": "", "themeOffset": "", "themeBorder": "", "themeColor": "", "themeBlank": "", "columnWidth": 100, "required": "", "requiredAttr": "", "requiredIf": "", "stripTags": "", "placeholder": "" } } exporting a secon single field i get :
      { "bestellung_status_name_ext": { "id": 195, "type": "FieldtypeText", "flags": 0, "name": "bestellung_status_name_ext", "label": "Status Extern", "textformatters": [ "TextformatterEntities" ], "collapsed": 0, "minlength": 0, "maxlength": 100, "showCount": 0, "size": 0, "pattern": "[a-z\\A-Z\\(\\)]+", "showIf": "", "themeInputSize": "", "themeInputWidth": "", "themeOffset": "", "themeBorder": "", "themeColor": "", "themeBlank": "", "columnWidth": 100, "required": "", "requiredAttr": "", "requiredIf": "", "stripTags": "", "placeholder": "" } } So far everything works fine .
      When i try to export both fields together  i get only an error message :
      Call to a member function getModuleInfo() on null File: .../wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypeText.module:171 I added " bd($textformatter);" on line 170 to see whats wrong. so have a look at the screenshot i apended to this post.

Its perfectly possible that one textformater module got removed by accident while experimenting whith some textformaters but my question is how to fix this maybe somewhere in the DB and possibly what went wrong?
      ProcessWire 3.0.120 © 2019
      Apache/2.4.25 (FreeBSD) OpenSSL/1.0.2k mod_fcgid/2.3.9
      PHP 7.1.2

Edit: After adding
      if ($textformatter ===NULL) continue; I can export my fields , as there arent any Textformater missing in the fields , i get a perfect result. but still there is one textformater whith a NULL value.  

• By psy
      I'm combining two PW sites into one, Site A into Site B.
      At each step, I did it bit by bit as the 'all at once' approach failed.

First, I exported all the fields from Site A and imported into Site B. Any field types not supported by import/export, eg FieldtypeOptions I manually recreated. All good.
      Next I exported all the templates from Site A and imported them into Site B and copied across their associated template files. All good.
      Finally I exported the pages I needed from Site A into Site B - again, bit by bit to ensure it all went smoothly.
      From the admin side, it all looked and worked perfectly.
      Front end was a totally different story. All existing pages in Site B worked as expected. NONE of the pages imported from Site A displayed. They all ended in a redirect loop with no errors in the PW logs or Tracy Debugger.
      After some trial-and-error, I finally got it working with:
      - create a new template in Site B admin with no associated template file and just a title field
      - import the fields from the imported Site A template into the newly created template (both on Site B)
      - copy the Site A php template file into a new file that matched the new PW Site B template name and save in Site B site/templates
      I can deal with the above workaround. Just curious to know if I did something wrong or if the template import/export feature is problematic?

### Solution:
      While the export/import was a slow process, turned out the front end redirecting issue was unrelated. For reasons unknown, all templates marked as HTTPS only were the ones redirecting, ie all templates from Site A. Finally solved it by changing the $config->https to true in site/config.php
      Now the pages display correctly as https whether the template forces the issue or not.

• By louisstephens
      I was attempting to export some fields from my dev branch to move them over to a live site when I got the following error:

Has anyone experienced this before? I was thinking I could just write a script using the api to create the fields, but there are about 44 fields (2 are repeater matrix) that are all slightly unique. If anyone has experienced this, what was your work around?