Better click through functionality

vknt

I've been building some sites with processwire now and I've come across some annoyances, I may have these because of my personal workflow but I'm noting them here nonetheless.

Example1: When viewing a template in setup>templates>yourtemplate you can see a list of fields. I would like be able to edit the properties of that field with one click instead of going to setup, then choose fields and then search in a (most long) list for the correct fieldtype. Same the other way around: direct links to edit the templates that use field

Example2: - Ability to view a list of pages that are currently using a particular template in setup>templates>your template

For example in the Delete Tab, it says by how many pages this is used, by not way to access those. If the template is used by more than 25 pages, not list them to ensure speed.

To get functionalities these in there are surely other thing to take into account, so let's hear if this others in the forum have affinity with..

vknt: I agree. Small but great improvements for site builders.

Example 1: I think that the reason that this isn't implemented is that it uses AsmSelect field there, and that doesn't support links. But I would prefer even an "ugly" solution, like alphabetical list of fields with links to them, under field ordering.

Example 2: I have had this annoyance also many times. Very frustrating when you believe that you have removed all the pages, but you have forgotten to empty the trash...

Also - dropdowns for setup and access tabs for main theme would be nice. After I got image cropping done, I hope I find time for these. Shouldn't be big things - but want to hear about everyone's opinion and other ideas for implementation?

I agree with what being said. There should be more shortcuts and easier access to things.

I already started doing something for when on page edit screen.

http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,470.0.html

Dropdown menu for PW I implemented in my Teflon Admin Theme, to shorten ways.

http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,530.0.html

Yes, those are great!

I think HelperFieldLinks works fine as a module (if superuser is also content editor, then it does pollute the edit page view - so not good by default - though I myself enjoy using it), but dropdowns are something I would like to see implemented in default admin too.

Maybe Soma you could do some forking and add pull request?

Example1: When viewing a template in setup>templates>yourtemplate you can see a list of fields. I would like be able to edit the properties of that field with one click instead of going to setup, then choose fields and then search in a (most long) list for the correct fieldtype. Same the other way around: direct links to edit the templates that use field

I'm worried about implying that one is editing the properties of the field within the context of the template. Whereas a field is something that exists separately from a template and can be used by any templates. As we move forward, I would like to have a way for fields to have a template context, so one could modify their labels or behaviors according to the template they were placed in. Once we've got that, then I think the edit links will be right at home.

Example2: - Ability to view a list of pages that are currently using a particular template in setup>templates>your template. For example in the Delete Tab, it says by how many pages this is used, by not way to access those. If the template is used by more than 25 pages, not list them to ensure speed.

This one will be easy! We've got the ProcessPageSearch built to support selector queries, so it could be done with a simple link to:

/processwire/page/search/for?template=basic-page (or substitute name of template)

Also - dropdowns for setup and access tabs for main theme would be nice. After I got image cropping done, I hope I find time for these. Shouldn't be big things - but want to hear about everyone's opinion and other ideas for implementation?

I agree about dropdowns, and this is something I will definitely be adding to the default admin theme. I like what Soma has done here too. Though I want the template names and field names to be directly selectable from the second level of the dropdowns as well.

The only reason dropdowns aren't already in place in the default admin theme is that I'm determined to get this multi language support in place before anything else. :)