difference Select AKA dropdown vs Page field type?

bwakad

Thinking in other CMS, pages were created for displaying your content.

But, since I started with PW, I see pages can be created for anything. Including selects.

And I had the impression for PW - selects - could only be made by - page field type, and selecting the pages by selector.

But then I also downloaded Select AKA dropdown - where you just have to fill in the label/value.

I would like to know what is more appropiate to make a select list, what is beneficial about it.

Using pages for selects: that's your most powerful relational database right there! It gives you access to the whole Page Object or Page Objects that are selected (hence everything about them)...you can even go farther down the rabbit hole...and find out more information about other relations that those selected pages have (other than their relation to the page that has the page field) - their parents, children, etc...This is a very powerful PW feature yet Ryan has implemented it as a very simple, user-friendly and elegant solution...

I have never used Select AKA Dropdown - so, no comment...but, horses for courses...

• Like 4

I've used both and pages is the best solution, in my opinion.  As Macrura said, the Select AKA Dropdown is only for very simple and small amount of options.  What anyone eventually learns is that using pages allows for future expansion, even when you initially think you will only ever need 4 or 5 options.

My clients have always liked that they can add options to their fields whenever I use the page method.

• Like 4

You all explained very good. I think sometimes I still have issues thinking other CMS wise... Have to forget about limited CMS's, and start thinking PW ;-)

So I will close this topic as answered.