How to generate /install for a site profile

rooofl

Hello, I would like to publish a site profile. My template is ready but I would like to know how to “build” the /install folder.

As I can see here, it contains a basic database profile and dummy content right? What is the procedure to do generate install.sql? Is it a plain database export?

Thank you Joss! That’s what I was looking for.

It leads me to another question: My current content is substantial (a big list of typefaces) and I don’t want to export all of it. What procedure do you advise to export just a part of my content (two or three fonts) only? Should I make a copy of my current website and delete some content?

That's probably best, and then having done that, export another profile so you have one with minimal info that you can use in the future.

I now have a habit of when developing a site, when I get to the point where the structure of the site is set in stone, I create a profile and keep that aside, then carry on adding content. Just gives me a near empty starting point which may be useful down the line. For the few seconds it takes, it is worth it.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

what about profile updates? Is it possible to export profile data only in order to provide updates for users and avoid them to loose their own data?

Hi EtienneOz,

Welcome to the forums. Have a look at Adrian's Migrator module. I think it could accomplish this.

• Like 1

Another possibility if you are just wanting to update fields and templates (coming soon):

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/2117-continuous-integration-of-field-and-template-changes/?p=68899

Are you wanting to just update their fields / templates, or page content as well?

Migrator was designed primarily for page migration and the field and template component is really just part of the process if the content being migrated includes fields and templates that are not available on the destination PW site. So your users might find the workflow a little strange if they are selecting a parent page to import content to if you are just wanting update them with new field / templates. However, if you are wanting to push new page content to them as well, then this is exactly what it's for :)

• Like 1

These new migration tools will be in PW 2.5, which is not too far away, although there is no definitive date just yet. Many of us are using the dev version in production so once the template side of Ryan's migration tools are ready, you might be good to go. Of course you'll need your users to be on it too, which does make it more difficult.

The migrator module could still be useful for you though if you export with Home as the parent and tell your users to choose Home as the parent when importing. There is less flexibility than Ryan's tools in the fact that there is no control over the settings for the fields and templates when importing, but there is also less for the importer to do.