Release: Rudimentary knowledge base site profile

marcus

Hi there,

in need for a light knowledge base software and not happy with solutions such as MediaWiki, Dokuwiki or Confluence I decided to try to build such a tool based on ProcessWire. At the moment this profile is lacking of features, but doing well in the context it is created for - a somewhat protected simple knowledge base for internal use. :)

It has some basic features but I'm aware that there's still way to go. So if anyone is interested, please find the code attached here or on GitHub: https://github.com/marcus-herrmann/ProcessWire-KnowledgeBase-SiteProfile

I exported the data from a PW 2.4 installation, but not have tested it yet against older versions.

Installation

Before running the installer of ProcessWire copy/replace 
/site-default/install/
/site-default/templates/
/site-default/modules/
with the folders from this zip.

Constraints

It's not possible to export user roles with ProcessWire's Site Export Module this profiles templates are checking just whether they are accessed by an anonymous or logged in user.

Features

• Tagging of wiki-articles
  • Set articles to globally sticky ( = for all users)
  • Personal bookmarking of articles for logged in users
  • When using markdown to author wiki-articles, code highlighting via highlightjs

Included modules

Hopefully this profile is useful for you in any way.

Best,

marcus

Edit: Forgot GitHub link...

post-912-0-37072900-1396112277_thumb.jpg

post-912-0-08824200-1396112286_thumb.jpg

post-912-0-75047700-1396112295_thumb.jpg

ProcessWire-KnowledgeBase-SiteProfile-master.zip

• Like 26

• 5 weeks later...

If I would add, let's say, a bugtracking feature to this profile and shift it from "agency internal use" to "agency/freelancer <-> customer communication tool" would anyone be interested to use it/or join in?

Just thinking out loud at the moment.

• Like 1

Yes, I would be very interested in the bug tracker feature, but maybe as another site profile. :rolleyes:   I actually like this one just the way it is and have a few internal projects where I can use it.  Thanks for the contribution.

• 2 months later...

If I would add, let's say, a bugtracking feature to this profile and shift it from "agency internal use" to "agency/freelancer <-> customer communication tool" would anyone be interested to use it/or join in?

I would definitely be interested though I'm afraid I can't much contribute as my PHP knowledge is still very limited ... 

@marcus:

I think profiles can really push PW forward. For the developers starting their way with the CMS (like me) it is a good way to learn by reading someone else's code. For the non-coders it is certainly easier to start with a profile. I found out about this one only due to Teppo's flamingruby blog, while having visited site profiles page several times. If it is not as polished as it could be, you can mark it as "early beta" (but as everything good in modules directory seems to be in beta it probably won't stop anyone) :). I think some communities shall grow around those profiles.

Reading that PW vs WP article I started thinking that Processwire is the tool for building Wordpress-like systems (and Ryan's blog profile is the proof to that). But not only Wordpress-like. We should have both examples of the capability of PW and easy to use systems (read "profiles") build on it. Your profile is both.

If I got it right you used Pure css framework, which is not demonstrated in other profiles. So only that is worth looking at.

• Like 1

@kongondo

But not everyone will be here long enough to find that out. I never went to joomla forums doing sites with it. When I first came to PW site, I was not even sure it is alive. But I think it is our common interest to make PW more widely known. And placing that profile in the directory can help that just a little bit :)

@marcus:

I think profiles can really push PW forward. For the developers starting their way with the CMS (like me) it is a good way to learn by reading someone else's code. For the non-coders it is certainly easier to start with a profile. I found out about this one only due to Teppo's flamingruby blog, while having visited site profiles page several times. If it is not as polished as it could be, you can mark it as "early beta" (but as everything good in modules directory seems to be in beta it probably won't stop anyone) :). I think some communities shall grow around those profiles.

Reading that PW vs WP article I started thinking that Processwire is the tool for building Wordpress-like systems (and Ryan's blog profile is the proof to that). But not only Wordpress-like. We should have both examples of the capability of PW and easy to use systems (read "profiles") build on it. Your profile is both.

If I got it right you used Pure css framework, which is not demonstrated in other profiles. So only that is worth looking at.

I agree. Site profiles seem to be the Unique Selling Proposition of PW, because they can demonstrate what is possible within a few seconds.

But better not learn from my code - it was written in a rush and seldomly "best practice" way. ;) I had to hurry it within a few hours to set up a office internal wiki and therefore took some shortcuts (like purecss, for example). Though it was written three months ago, if I had to start over, I would choose another template logic, would write a module that creates a wiki-user role, a module for the internal bookmarks and so on. Stuff and approaches that weren't on my radar/skillset back in March. And, I do not consider myself as a proper PHP coder, merely as a beginner trying to learn. So looking into soma's code for example would be the better idea ;)

/edit: nevermind. Totally mixed PW Weeky issues up. It's way too hot here in Berlin right now...  :undecided:

Edited by marcus

• 4 weeks later...

Mаrcus! I see a lot of topics you create related to the profile recently. But github repo does not seem to be upgraded. Is there any way to watch the progress of development and/or help testing it?

Apart from the "collateral releases" you've mentioned - not yet. Lately I was rewriting the template logic, but that refactoring is far from completed. Also, I'm currently putting emphasis on the tree view, but haven't found a js plugin yet that really fits my needs ;)

• Like 1