Alternative to Dependencies in Repeaters?

Kurbel

Hi Guys,

I was just in the process of building a site where I was going to use field dependencies in a Repeater. Since then, I learned that it's not supported.

The Idea was to have a Repeater with a list of radio buttons (page relation field) where editors could choose a content type for this specific element inside a repeater (e.g. Video, Text, Image Gallery, ...). The repeater would also contain all the fields necessary for the possible content but would just show the field for the specified content.

A single page inside the whole side would then be made up from this repeater and could contain all the content in a flexible order. For example you could start with a text, add a gallery, more text, a video and in the end some teasers to additional content.

From the point of user experience I thought it was really neat and easily comprehendible for editors. Unfortunately it shall not be - at least at the moment.

Of course the principle mechanism (e.g. a Repeater with different kinds of content) still stands but right now it looks a bit messy in the backend.

Any ideas on how I could implement something with the same level of neatness?  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Kurbel

Hi Kurbel,

What you described is the same functionality I was hoping to achieve when I saw that Soma's dependencies for repeaters code was added.

I documented what I know about where it breaks. I don't know how complicated it is to fix (or if it can be fixed). I tried to decipher the problem, and tracked it down as far as _getDelayedChildren() in /wire/core/InputfieldWrapper.php.

I don't have a work around (yet).