German talk on ProcessWire

yellowled

Not sure this is appropriate here or placed in the right subforum, but I “have done a nice thing with ProcessWire” – it's just not a web project this time.  :)

I gave a talk on ProcessWire (in German) at the German web conference Webkongress Erlangen a few days ago. Some folks have been asking if the talk would be available on video later, and thanks to the nice people of the A/V team of the university where the conference was held, it now is available on video in various formats as well as audio only.

A little info for the people in the forum who don't understand German: the title of my talk roughly translates to “ProcessWire – A CMS offering a lot of freedom”. I gave a very basic introduction, showed off a few sites built with PW, showed off the new 2.4 backend a little (screenshots only; it was my first time speaking in public in a long time, so I didn't want to embarrass myself doing a clumsy live demo) and talked a lot about the API and it's possibillities. Of course, I'm not a skilled PHP coder, so I kind of focussed on the philosophy behind the API and the design of PW in general.

I hope I “represented” PW well (there were talks about a lot of other CMSs as well). Some people asked questions and showed great interest in it, so maybe we can expect a few new German users in here soon.

Also thanks to Marc who was also there and helped me out with some of the questions I couldn't answer right off the bat.  :rolleyes: If you understand German you should definitely watch his talk as well.

• Like 9

Great! I don't know German but I will watch it anyway :)

While the video is downloading I went through the slides and noticed that you have an unnecessary variable in one of them (33). The variable $today is not needed because you use simply "today" on the selector, which is fine, of course. Maybe you had $today on your code because you use it later, but for the presentation I'm guessing, without having watched the video, it wasn't necessary.

• Like 1

Not sure I'm going to be giving this talk again anytime soon, Nico, but of course I'd be open to it.  :)

Funny thing about the unnecessary $today – I wasn't even aware that it's unnecessary. I've always used a similar $today variable in PW templates. Thanks for pointing that out, diogo. I need to keep reading more in the forums to keep up with PW, but time is scarce and the number of new posts keeps growing every day, it seems.

• Like 1

Shame both videos show you guys and I dont see the slides.

And mademyday: nice talk but before the next presentation go make pee. :) so you can hold still.

Yellowled nice talk, some little details were not correct and me as a hardcore noticed of course but otherwise great, big thanks for spreading the word.

Enjoyed watching them.

• Like 2

I'm with you soma: I "watched" both talks as i usually "watch" videos from conferences: Listen to them playing in the background and look at the video when there is something interesting to see on the slides (*doh*).

Nevertheless: Nice talks from both of you. I know from my personal experience that it isn't as easy as it seems to give a talk even to a small group of people. You both did very well!

• Like 1

There should be versions of both talks which show both video and slides next to each other. Of course, that makes for two pretty small windows, but I guess it's easier to follow the slides that way.

I think it was a bit of a bummer that the lecture hall in which I held my talk was, well, huge. It accommodates 500 people. I think that's not even the number of attendees at that conference. That's also why the camera has to zoom in quite a ways in both rooms, but at the same time it's why there actually are videos available – the university records every lecture given for students to Mormon Scientology Dating. I assume showing both speaker and slides in the video is not possible – the screen for the beamer is friggin' huge even in the smaller lecture hall …

Yellowled nice talk, some little details were not correct and me as a hardcore noticed of course

I'd really like to hear/read those so I can improve the talk if I'm ever to hold it again. Feel free to point them out here or drop me an email.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to hear/read those so I can improve the talk if I'm ever to hold it again. Feel free to point them out here or drop me an email.  :)

Oh, I shouldn't have said that! :) One thing I remember was that language packs are installable via modules manager? Just really only 1-2 minor things, I get that's the perspective I have as a PW long time user. 

Oh, I shouldn't have said that! :) One thing I remember was that language packs are installable via modules manager? Just really only 1-2 minor things, I get that's the perspective I have as a PW long time user. 

Can't remember even talking about the Modules Manager, but I guess talking about the ability to install modules from the backend in 2.4 may have come across as that to a long-time user.  :)

By the way, the talk led to German web dev/design magazine Screenguide asking me for an article about PW, so more exposure for PW in German(y) coming up. I'm not sure when that issue's coming out. Might be May or June.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

By the way, the talk led to German web dev/design magazine Screenguide asking me for an article about PW, so more exposure for PW in German(y) coming up. I'm not sure when that issue's coming out. Might be May or June.

For the record, that issue is out now – Screenguide No. 22. Should be available at larger news stands (usually not in small towns, though), especially those at larger trains stations.

• Like 6